Physical console games are quickly becoming a relatively niche market

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
at first I was upset I was stuck with the digital PS5, but later on I got a regular PS5, and it had been a year with the digital PS5, and I didn't feel like swapping it out for the disc and ended up giving it to my daughter.

with 5TB total of space, my PS5 will be fine for this entire generation of gaming.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Next gen will be. We are already halfway there

I think so too, or at the very least they switch around the supply yields for physical and digital, to the point where physical is shipping to like 1:4 or something. Developing nations without high speed internet/data caps will always rely on physical. Retailers also will get hit hard without physical games on shelves, its also how game companies sell accessories and merch by having customers buy shyt in stores.

I could also see a blu ray drive being sold as a separate accessory next gen that you would plug in with a usb. That way they only have one console SKU moving forward which would make production easier and anyone that wants physical disc readers can pay extra for it if they deem it worthy, might be cheaper in the long run also. If sold separately a attachment would probably be 30-50 dollars vs 100 extra for the whole console

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I haven't put a single disc in the ps5

Ps plus extra has saved me alot of money aswell
Had GT7 in mine then my PS5 broke. Sent in for repair and they couldn't get my GT7 out. I'm stuck at home with the steelbook case not being able to do shyt.

The ONE game I bought physical so far :dead:

I go digital for the most part anyway because of the multiple systems in the house.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

Digital console: £1.98 billion (down 4.7%)
Digital PC: £660 million (up 2.2%)
Boxed games (PC & Console): £489 million (down 4.3%)

Digital console spending dropped by almost 5% and actually showed a slightly steeper decline that boxed games, which dipped by 4.3%. This makes 2022 the only year in the past ten where the performance of retail games has been better in terms of year-on-year comparisons than download, which may suggest the decline of boxed sales is levelling off.

idk, this just seems like the pandemic gave an extra boost to digital sales, but overall most games are still bought digitally