Physical console games are quickly becoming a relatively niche market

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
None of those are games. Games are different than movies and music.

As far as prices and advantages, it’s literally in the contract they sign with retail partners. They can’t ask for space in a store them undercut what’s available in the stores on prices and features.

As an all digital future comes in to play, someone will find a fix for your questions here as someone will find a way to make money off it.
You can see it.
I can't see it.
There hasn't been a clearer "agree to disagree" topic in the history of the coli.
We'll have to wait and see who's right.
These are all hypotheticals.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Subscription based future is not mythical.
Gamepass
Netflix
Hulu
Disney Plus
HBO Max
iTunes
Spotify....so on and so forth
All point to an increasingly subscription based future.
These companies are not doubling down on any physical media releases.
They're dumping millions into their subscription models to meet the consumer demand for subscription content.

The existence of physical media isn't stopping competition for digital media.
You can get rid of every disc in existence right now, the retail price of a digital game is not going down.
I don't see any evidence pointing towards anyone being able to buy a game digitally on xbox or playstation, and then re-sell that game digitally.
I don't really see where that optimism is coming from.

I'm citing evidence in my response.
I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that digital games cost what they cost and don't have transfer rights due to the mere existence of physical games.

There's so many technical aspects that stand in the way of that anyway. We're not going to have the answers to any of this because these a hypotheticals of hypotheticals at this point but since we're just talking crap anyway...

What happens if a game you bought digitally gets delisted? Are you still going to be able to sell a game?
Digital resales sound like a recipe for synthetic scarcity. Who gets to determine the value of a digital game that you can readily get anywhere at any time?
Are publishers/devs/whatever going to sit by and watch their product get purchased from them once, and then sold and resold hundreds of times without them getting a cut of that "re"-sale?

None of those are games. Games are different than movies and music.

As far as prices and advantages, it’s literally in the contract they sign with retail partners. They can’t ask for space in a store them undercut what’s available in the stores on prices and features.

As an all digital future comes in to play, someone will find a fix for your questions here as someone will find a way to make money off it

*** Xbot Schill 1st in Command & resident local idiot finally admits to Gamepass i.e. Xbox having no games ***

More news to follow....:sas1:

Last edited:

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
95% of the games I’ve bought since 2015 have been digital but I’m moving back into physical media again.:yeshrug:

ill_will82

What you see, is what you get
Daps
I'd buy digital more often if the U.S. had the EU's laws on being able to transfer or re-sell a digital license: EU court rules it's legal to resell digital games, software | Engadget

But that's never going to happen, so I'll stick to physical software for any purchase that's more than about ten or fifteen dollars.
I definitely would be trying to get paid if it ever became legal to sell digital games. I probably would have started flipping games on a regular basis online but some ppl get on my nerves because folks like to low-ball you.

ill_will82

What you see, is what you get
Daps
I prefer to buy physical just in case I get a shytty game or a game I just don't like where I can flip it online. I only cop digital if it's a retro collection or remaster of something that I played back in the day like TMNT or Resident Evil.

Red Money

All Star
Daps
Handheld consoles was niche too and the smartphone/ipad killed it same time vita came out.

Then handhelds resurged 2017 with switch as people wised up to poor controls and being distracted by other features on the phone/ipad. Now we got steam decks and steam deck clones.

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
Handheld consoles was niche too and the smartphone/ipad killed it same time vita came out.

Then handhelds resurged 2017 with switch as people wised up to poor controls and being distracted by other features on the phone/ipad. Now we got steam decks and steam deck clones.
Really? What killed the Vita was the excessive prices of the memory cards.

The DS and 3DS sold. In fact those two consoles were selling while the Wii-U was flopping.

Red Money

All Star
Daps
Really? What killed the Vita was the excessive prices of the memory cards.

The DS and 3DS sold. In fact those two consoles were selling while the Wii-U was flopping.

Let's be reality early 2010s smartphone games was killing it and emulators was a big deal on it as well.

Nothing was touching angry birds, flappy bird, clash of clans, temple run, candy crush, infinity blade, riptide gp, fruit ninja etc in the handheld/mobile arena. It was the golden age of casual games and it took place on phones. Nintendo even released Super Mario run cause smartphone gaming was a big deal.

Red Money

All Star
Daps

Let's be reality early 2010s smartphone games was killing it and emulators was a big deal on it as well.

Nothing was touching angry birds, flappy bird, clash of clans, temple run, candy crush, infinity blade, riptide gp, fruit ninja etc in the handheld/mobile arena. It was the golden age of casual games and it took place on phones. Nintendo even released Super Mario run cause smartphone gaming was a big deal.

In 2012:

"It's possible, much as with PC gaming, that the very best mobile gaming will only ever be available to those who buy a device built especially for that purpose — but Nintendo's and Sony's own sales show that the interest in such machines is growing increasingly niche."

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London

In 2012:

"It's possible, much as with PC gaming, that the very best mobile gaming will only ever be available to those who buy a device built especially for that purpose — but Nintendo's and Sony's own sales show that the interest in such machines is growing increasingly niche."
IR Information : Financial Data - Top Selling Title Sales Units - Nintendo 3DS Software

Over the lifetime of the 3ds these are the best selling games. The 3ds was successful enough to sell 75 million units. Considering that the 360 sold roughly 80m since 2005 and PS3 sold ever so slightly more despite releasing in 2006, the 3DS done good since it came out in 2011.

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven

Mobile gaming was supposed to get EVERYONE out the paint... Then, like you said, people started realizing playing games on your phone is filled with constant distractions and not a lot of fun games

Red Money

All Star
Daps
Mobile gaming was supposed to get EVERYONE out the paint... Then, like you said, people started realizing playing games on your phone is filled with constant distractions and not a lot of fun games

Tide could turn with physical media for consoles. Digital games just like on iphone don't hold value. And streaming devalues it even more. And if disc drives are removed then you can't even get a physical from limited run games.

TV was essentially streaming....but DVD box sets of TV shows still sold because otherwise you were reliant on syndication or poor VHS recordings.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Just to not waste... Why do I need Madden 21 sitting around when that $10 can go towards 22?

More than anything, and people call me a dinosaur, I use gamefly.. This month alone there's about 5 games I would have bought for $300... And we still got 10 months to go... For $240 I play anything I want all year.. Can't do that with digital

So again... The day they make any sort of incentive for buying digital besides, you don't have to get up, I'd be all for it. But right now, it saves me money in so many ways by going physical, that it doesn't even make sense. Games should be at least $10 less a piece on digital to start... That's on manufacturing/distribution savings alone
People always say this and on the surface level, it seems logical. But, seems folks forget the other convenient factor of digital is that for most platforms, you technically have access to at least two copies of one game, which you simply cannot do with physical. Anyone that has a family and multiple consoles, this is a no brainer, way more cost effective solution than buying two copies of a game that multiple people in the house want to play. Also, if you want to play your games over someone else's house, you can easily bring your whole library with you by simply signing in and downloading to their system.

That easily trumps the savings of manufacturing/distribution that we technically don't see anyways in either fashion, that's just on the company's end. Which also due to bulk plans and how companies eating the costs of parts of the development, who's to really say that's what we're paying for when buying a game from a retail store anyway.