Physical console games are quickly becoming a relatively niche market

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Physical is just a hassle nnow, creates clutter and theres so many console features that prioritize just jumping back into games.
I do agree that it takes up space, but I feel games drop in price much quicker with physical. I'm 90% digital with my library, but it's nice to have option and to have the ability take advantage of sales

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Used games :wow:

Imma keep this disk drive till the death 😭
Xbox tried to kill Gamestop last gen.

It will happen more naturally now but the inevitable is already in motion.

I do think once physical games finally go away there will be more rights and privileges granted to digital games. Somebody is gonna figure out a good way digital licenses can be sold/transferred.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz

I do think once physical games finally go away there will be more rights and privileges granted to digital games. Somebody is gonna figure out a good way digital licenses can be sold/transferred.
I hope. I constantly hit Facebook market place to get good deals on games. Tryna get a copy of Elden ring for 30 rn.

I sold a lot of ps4/xb1 games at the end of last gen and made a decent amount as well.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

In a subscription based world, rights, privileges, transferring ownership are all made virtually obsolete.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Who said anything about a subscription based world?
That's where we've been headed for quite a few years now.
You guys have already embraced it quite a bit.
"Ownership" is clearly mattering less and less. Why would any dev spend time on a solution to transfer a license?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
That's where we've been headed for quite a few years now.
You guys have already embraced it quite a bit.
"Ownership" is clearly mattering less and less. Why would any dev spend time on a solution to transfer a license?
Majority of games being played Physical or Digital are not from a subscription service.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Majority of games being played Physical or Digital are not from a subscription service.
What does that have to do with my response?

You said:
"I do think once physical games finally go away there will be more rights and privileges granted to digital games. Somebody is gonna figure out a good way digital licenses can be sold/transferred."

You're talking about the future.
I'm saying once physical games finally go away, there will be less "rights", not more like you're saying.
The fact that digital games are already selling without the need for license transferring in place, compounded by the fact that many people are fine simply renting the games via subscription (see gamepass) leads me to not have any faith at all of there being a digital license transfer solution, and I don't see any way in hell they're going to allow users to re-sell their license, ESPECIALLY not on consoles.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
What does that have to do with my response?

You said:
"I do think once physical games finally go away there will be more rights and privileges granted to digital games. Somebody is gonna figure out a good way digital licenses can be sold/transferred."

You're talking about the future.
I'm saying once physical games finally go away, there will be less "rights", not more like you're saying.
The fact that digital games are already selling without the need for license transferring in place, compounded by the fact that many people are fine simply renting the games via subscription (see gamepass) leads me to not have any faith at all of there being a digital license transfer solution, and I don't see any way in hell they're going to allow users to re-sell their license, ESPECIALLY not on consoles.
Your response was based on some mythical “subscription based future” that only you are talking about.

People still buy games, just digitally. The thing that’s holding digital games back from more competition in prices and rights is the existence of physical games and the insistence of physical game sellers forcing “parity” in prices and terms.

Once it’s all digital then as with every other market, competition will lead to better terms for consumers.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Your response was based on some mythical “subscription based future” that only you are talking about.

People still buy games, just digitally. The thing that’s holding digital games back from more competition in prices and rights is the existence of physical games and the insistence of physical game sellers forcing “parity” in prices and terms.

Once it’s all digital then as with every other market, competition will lead to better terms for consumers.
Subscription based future is not mythical.
Gamepass
Netflix
Hulu
Disney Plus
HBO Max
iTunes
Spotify....so on and so forth
All point to an increasingly subscription based future.
These companies are not doubling down on any physical media releases.
They're dumping millions into their subscription models to meet the consumer demand for subscription content.

The existence of physical media isn't stopping competition for digital media.
You can get rid of every disc in existence right now, the retail price of a digital game is not going down.
I don't see any evidence pointing towards anyone being able to buy a game digitally on xbox or playstation, and then re-sell that game digitally.
I don't really see where that optimism is coming from.

I'm citing evidence in my response.
I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that digital games cost what they cost and don't have transfer rights due to the mere existence of physical games.

There's so many technical aspects that stand in the way of that anyway. We're not going to have the answers to any of this because these a hypotheticals of hypotheticals at this point but since we're just talking crap anyway...

What happens if a game you bought digitally gets delisted? Are you still going to be able to sell a game?
Digital resales sound like a recipe for synthetic scarcity. Who gets to determine the value of a digital game that you can readily get anywhere at any time?
Are publishers/devs/whatever going to sit by and watch their product get purchased from them once, and then sold and resold hundreds of times without them getting a cut of that "re"-sale?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Subscription based future is not mythical.
Gamepass
Netflix
Hulu
Disney Plus
HBO Max
iTunes
Spotify....so on and so forth
All point to an increasingly subscription based future.
These companies are not doubling down on any physical media releases.
They're dumping millions into their subscription models to meet the consumer demand for subscription content.

The existence of physical media isn't stopping competition for digital media.
You can get rid of every disc in existence right now, the retail price of a digital game is not going down.
I don't see any evidence pointing towards anyone being able to buy a game digitally on xbox or playstation, and then re-sell that game digitally.
I don't really see where that optimism is coming from.

I'm citing evidence in my response.
I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that digital games cost what they cost and don't have transfer rights due to the mere existence of physical games.

There's so many technical aspects that stand in the way of that anyway. We're not going to have the answers to any of this because these a hypotheticals of hypotheticals at this point but since we're just talking crap anyway...

What happens if a game you bought digitally gets delisted? Are you still going to be able to sell a game?
Digital resales sound like a recipe for synthetic scarcity. Who gets to determine the value of a digital game that you can readily get anywhere at any time?
Are publishers/devs/whatever going to sit by and watch their product get purchased from them once, and then sold and resold hundreds of times without them getting a cut of that "re"-sale?
None of those are games. Games are different than movies and music.

As far as prices and advantages, it’s literally in the contract they sign with retail partners. They can’t ask for space in a store them undercut what’s available in the stores on prices and features.

As an all digital future comes in to play, someone will find a fix for your questions here as someone will find a way to make money off it.