Photos of 19th Century Arab Slave Trade of East Africans

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Iin the horn, it was african on african slavery. Afroasiatics enslaved pure blacks because the tawehedo church allowed them as they werent christian And were bariya...which meant inferior

Theres long been a racial heirachy in Abyssinia. Habeshas treated the cushytes as equals as long as they convert to christianity, but for the nilotics and bantu oeople, they were basically fukked. Slavery in Ethiopia wasnt as bad as in somalia or any other place because the church set the rules, and they were basically seen as servants and apart of the family but it was still fukked up.

These people

selassie-SM.jpg

5402537945_7987df0d8b_b.jpg

emperortewodrosii.png

Have historically Thought they were superior to these people
AnuakGirlmod.jpg

images

Basically the horn had willy lynch syndrome

Can someone explain how Ethiopia has gotten so much admixture? I know about 5 Ethiopians and they all look like the first two pics. One of the ethiopian girls just looked "light skinned" on first glance with sharp features, then i found out her dad was Pakistani :upsetfavre:Yet she still claims Ethiopian. Two of the five look even more arab or w/e they're mixed with. Someone drop some knowledge:mjcry:I need to know the truth

Raptor

All Star
Daps
Reppin
World
Can someone explain how Ethiopia has gotten so much admixture? I know about 5 Ethiopians and they all look like the first two pics. One of the ethiopian girls just looked "light skinned" on first glance with sharp features, then i found out her dad was Pakistani :upsetfavre:Yet she still claims Ethiopian. Two of the five look even more arab or w/e they're mixed with. Someone drop some knowledge:mjcry:I need to know the truth
You probably met a Harari/Hadere, most of them have recent persian/paki/arab ancestry.My mother is harari and she has a paki father. As for the habeshas, they had an empire a few thousand years ago which controlled yemen and southern arabia called Axum which traded with the greeks, indian, persians, and pretty much had economic hegemony all over southern arabia. It was known as one of 4 major regional economic superpowers at the time. They initially looked like cushytes (somalis, oromo) but they became even more mixed during this period. Theyre still more black than cac, well atleast most of em.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why does that pic have a Bantu woman in Somalia as a slave? Were Bantu people trading each other, or was it Somali people?

Mogadishu was originally a Persian town (the name actually translates to "Seat of the Shah" in the Persian language). Same with alot of the towns along the coast of East Africa. The slaves were usually from Mozambique or Tanzania and were brought in by arabs to work the plantations. The Somalian tribes were nomads who lived in the rural countryside.

Last edited:

HideoKojima

DOOM, all capitals, no trick spellin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Georgia, Home of the trillest
This is where the Europeans got their idea of slavery... frm the Arabs.
shyt has been going on in northern egypt since the time of the pyramids being built.
They were too powerful for the Kushytes.
In turn, they made slaves out of some of them.
You had dark skin? You were a slave in Northern Egypt.

No. Race based slavery didn't happen until American colonists replaced indentured servants. These people were being enslaved because they weren't muslims. Muslims can't enslave other muslims that's why a certain group of Africans weren't ever slaves. Maybe, being forced to convert with a sword to your face wasn't all that bad :mjpls:

Daps
Reppin
NULL

The ethiopian you met is from a tribe called the "habesha" from the northern highlands. The habesha are a mullato race descended from native black ethiopians and semetic people from the middle east. they control ethiopia right now politically eventhough they are not the majority ethnic group. most native ethiopians are actually very dark and are not mixed. the ethiopians you met is a result of selection bias. because the habesha are politically dominant, you see more of them outside of ethiopia.

Raptor

All Star
Daps
Reppin
World
The ethiopian you met is from a tribe called the "habesha" from the northern highlands. The habesha are a mullato race descended from native black ethiopians and semetic people from the middle east. they control ethiopia right now politically eventhough they are not the majority ethnic group. most native ethiopians are actually very dark and are not mixed. the ethiopians you met is a result of selection bias. because the habesha are politically dominant, you see more of them outside of ethiopia.

PJacGEw.gif

they are native considering theyve lived in the highlands long enough to have evolved highland adaptation.
http://genomebiology.com/2012/13/1/r1

Last edited:

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
Always found this quote interesting:

'I am not a Negro at all; I am a Caucasian' the Emperor Menelik told the West Indian pan-Africanist Benito Sylvian who had come to Addis Ababa to solicit the Emperor's leadership in a society for the 'Amelioration of the Negro race.' Haile Sellassie confirmed that view in a declaration to Chief H. O. Davis, a well known Nigerian nationalist, stating that the Ethiopians did not regard themselves as Africans, but as 'a mixed Hamito-Semitic people (2006, John H. Spencer, p. 306

Daps
Reppin
NULL
yes my people owned those slaves

Arab Slave Trade? Since when were Somalis, Ethiopians and Bantus slave traders Arab? :mjpls:
Good Ol Somali c00ns. The sellouts of Africa. Let us all see them. Karma hit them hard as we can see, their shytty country in shambles. How times have changed.

Damn. nikkas are really trying hard to deflect blame from the Arabs.

There seem to be alotta confused people in this thread. Folks are conflating the black somalian c00ns we are all familiar with, with the actual somalians who were involved in the slave trade. Contrary to popular assumption, there are different races/ethnic groups in Somalia?

Meet the Benadiri and Bravenese People of Somalia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benadiri_people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravanese_people

These mullato lookkin nikkas are a minority group that STILL LIVE TODAY in the city of Mogadishu (one of the main cities back in the day of the east african slave trade) and many other port cities in Somalia. They are descended from Arabs and Persians that were original founders of cities like Mogadishu. They are the muthafukkas that were runnin' the slave trade. Mogadishu (like I said earlier) is a Persian name. It means "Seat of the Shah."

Compare them to the MAJORITY native somalian population.

The majority of the Somalian population are descended from CATTLE AND GOAT HERDING NOMADS. They moved from place to place in the rural countryside. Like the other cushytic peoples in the Horn, they did not farm or occupy cities like Mogadishu in large numbers. The idea they were the major runners of the east african slave trade rather than the arabs is a MYTH.

:pacspit: the muthafukkin ay-rabs.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
Always found this quote interesting:

'I am not a Negro at all; I am a Caucasian' the Emperor Menelik told the West Indian pan-Africanist Benito Sylvian who had come to Addis Ababa to solicit the Emperor's leadership in a society for the 'Amelioration of the Negro race.' Haile Sellassie confirmed that view in a declaration to Chief H. O. Davis, a well known Nigerian nationalist, stating that the Ethiopians did not regard themselves as Africans, but as 'a mixed Hamito-Semitic people (2006, John H. Spencer, p. 306

:ohhh:

But-b-but-but Somalis are c00ns.

@isthisreallife :sas1:

I saw your little slick comment that Slavery in Ethiopia wasn't as bad as in Somalia.

Truth of the matter is, the whole continent was at it...raiding and selling their neighbours. It's unfair and quite pathetic of the usual anti-Somali crowd to paint it as Somali only phenomena.

@Clean Cut your people killed nearly a million black people in 100 days with nothing but machetes...not even guns...machetes. How savage do you have to be to chop men. women AND children up with machetes:scusthov:

That's not c00ning?....

Murking each other because Belgium divided you up to into light skin and dark skin. So pan-African.

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
:ohhh:

But-b-but-but Somalis are c00ns.

@isthisreallife :sas1:

I saw your little slick comment that Slavery in Ethiopia wasn't as bad as in Somalia.

Truth of the matter is, the whole continent was at it...raiding and selling their neighbours. It's unfair and quite pathetic of the usual anti-Somali crowd to paint it as Somali only phenomena.

@Clean Cut your people killed nearly a million black people in 100 days with nothing but machetes...not even guns...machetes. How savage do you have to be to chop men. women AND children up with machetes:scusthov:

That's not c00ning?....

Murking each other because Belgium divided you up to into light skin and dark skin. So pan-African.

Word, I think it's obvious that at the end of the day people will identify with their own tribe and people, that's what humans do.