Photos of 19th century Afro-Brazilian Slavery

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Same here. African Americans were stripped of their religion and beliefs where as Latin American and Carribean still have theirs. Shyt Ricans are more African than African Americans.
I dont quite agree with this.

How do caribbean folks still have their culture?Let's take Haiti for example since they were the first to remove the overwhelming european presence that would have stripped their "language and religion" so they shoul dhave MORE of their african culture, right?

Language: I'm haitian and i speak kreyol. But when you break down kreyol it's obvious that 90% of it are mispronounced french words. THs why it is called french-creole. Jamaican patois is the same thing but with English. Bottom line is the language is still European-like language.

Onto religion: 80+% of haitians are either Catholic or protestants. Almost the same for Jamaicans but with RastaFarian mixed in. Voodoo/Obia is also practiced in both cultures but still the core of the christianity imposed on them still holds the majority.

How is this different than African-Americans? And before you say other-wise know that I PERSONALLY KNOW many african-americans (one is a very close friend) who practice voodoo so it must have been passed on through generations of african-americans. Only difference is african-americans are still in a country that is majority white and the impact of the majority will be felt no matter what.

Now tell me again how

Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I know, man, I live here. But it's a broader term than that.

Here you have a candidate to the presidency, Marina Silva, identifies as pardo.

marina-silva-coletiva-size-598.jpg

Our former president Fernando Henrique Cardoso, also identifies as pardo:

Fernando-Henrique-Cardoso.jpg
I think it's true that most times the mulatto will be the enemy of black people. N they really have to be trained to Identify without that cac mental illness

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
What did they do labor wise, I know in US they picked cotton?

Caribbean sugar, tobacco
Hispagnola (now known as Haiti and Dominican Republic) were the gold mine for Sugar-cane and Cofee. There was also what we call in french "cuivre" and "bauxite". Those are metals. Thus why France forced Spain to give up half the island. Hispagnola had so much more of these precious metals than most of the other islands. The african slaves were forced to work these fields and mines during both periods

you reap what you sow it may not be this generation or next but you do reap what you sow
I know but how long before the relief breh? We been waiting hundreds of years, G. Never been a fan of waiting which is why im so punctual: I know i hate waiting so i'd hate to make someone WAIT for me

Last edited:

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Similar to how Dubai uses Indian slaves and pay them close to nothing.

That's crazy. I was just talking about this with a guy from Dubai. Slavery still exists brehs. They just took another version of black people. The job the Indians do are real dangerous I hear too. Filipinos do all the service jobs out there, while the locals live like kings and their kids never work coming up.

But Brazil got the most slaves AND it lasted the longest.some Black people there really haven't recovered or even assimilated into modern society. But their slavery was far from as harsh as in USA and West Indies.

Amazing photos, by the OP:salute:

Truth200

Banned
Daps

Brazil had the most slaves of any slave owning country in history. Thats because the black slaves were LITERALLY, herded, breeded, and worked to death, LIKE CATTLE. The average life expectancy of a male slave was 32, and if they were born a slave in brazil, it was even shorter.

Age 32 where did you get this info from?

:ohlawd:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I dont quite agree with this.

How do caribbean folks still have their culture?Let's take Haiti for example since they were the first to remove the overwhelming european presence that would have stripped their "language and religion" so they shoul dhave MORE of their african culture, right?

Language: I'm haitian and i speak kreyol. But when you break down kreyol it's obvious that 90% of it are mispronounced french words. THs why it is called french-creole. Jamaican patois is the same thing but with English. Bottom line is the language is still European-like language.

Onto religion: 80+% of haitians are either Catholic or protestants. Almost the same for Jamaicans but with a RastaFarian. Voodoo/Obia is also practiced in both cultures but still the core of the christianity imposed on them still holds the majority.

How is this different than African-Americans? And before you say other-wise know that I PERSONALLY KNOW many african-americans (one is a very close friend) who practice voodoo so it must have been passed on through generations of african-americans. Only difference is african-americans are still in a country that is majority white and the impact of the majority will be felt no matter what.

Now tell me again how
The vocab of creole is french but its syntax and grammar is straight african

African Americans had the worst brunch of slavery because of he Europeans here were ruthless. Many of the countries in Latin America and Carribean wasn't as strict and violent as America including slavery didn't last that long as here.

Slavery in Jamaica and Hati was probably comparable to America. Jamaica was the rapist slave colony where they use tame black men by raping them constantly and Hati fought back. Slavery as a whole is horrible but America did have it worse.

I dont want to spark an argument or debate but i believe that slavery in s america and the caribbean was more violent and worse for a couple reason. In the us, slaves had natural increases while brazil imported slaves up til the late 19 century and the caribbean islands like haiti and jamaica historically had more african born slaves tgen slaves bornbin the new world. It was cheaper to work a slave to death there. Slaves in the us suffered from i think more psychological violence but many also had the ability to run away (yiu cant run off Hispaniola for example)

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
we are the true "kings":blessed:
I hate when people keep saying this. Yes, kindgoms existed. Yes, there were kings ruling these kingdoms. Yes, said kings were black. But so were the peasants and warriors and other nobles and other people that made up said kingdoms. But kings will be kings and peasants will be peasants. No every damn body descended from a damn king.

I can never understand black people's fascination with "kings". There always seem to be a need for a "king". "King of NY". "King of the South". WHAT THE fukk? :mindblown:

Last edited:

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water

I dont want to spark an argument or debate but i believe that slavery in s america and the caribbean was more violent and worse for a couple reason. In the us, slaves had natural increases while brazil imported slaves up til the late 19 century and the caribbean islands like haiti and jamaica historically had more african born slaves tgen slaves bornbin the new world. It was cheaper to work a slave to death there. Slaves in the us suffered from i think more psychological violence but many also had the ability to run away (yiu cant run off Hispaniola for example)

I think you might find more instances in South America of slaves running away and starting their own communities than in North America. Particularly Brazil, Ecuador, Colombia. I believe your point might hold for parts of the Caribbean but even then you would have slaves join runaway communities in bordering colonies

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Of course you can. What you think this symbol was about?

NegMawon.jpg

A view from the rear. Notice the broken chain

Sorry but i disagree. Sure there is some heavy african influence but not to the point where you can say we have retained that much more of our language than we have that of the french

Last edited:

Pdiddy

Superstar
Daps
Cacs have dominated the world for centuries...'Bout time for a change I think

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Same here. African Americans were stripped of their religion and beliefs where as Latin American and Carribean still have some theirs. Shyt Ricans are more African than African Americans.

fixed:ehh:

but your point still stands though.