Photos of 19th century Afro-Brazilian Slavery

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
put it this way,when i say "know your worth" i mean like when a father tells his daughter,"whoever you date ,make sure they treat you like the princess that you are"

he doesn't mean "make sure he buys you everything,diamonds etc"

he means "make sure he knows your worth,make sure he knows your special"

when they teach black history in class they never mention the heritage /traditions of black people from centuries ago

im starting to ramble on:mjcry:
I hear you. I'm just tired of the"we were kings" bull shyt

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I hate when people keep saying this. Yes kindgoms existed. Yes there were kings ruling these kingdoms. Yes said kings were black. But so were the peasants and other nobles and other peole that made up said kingdoms. But kings will be kings and peasants and other nobles existed too. No every damn body descended from a damn king.

I can never understand black people's fascination with "kings". There always seem to be a need for a "king". King of NY. King of the South. :mindblown:
You're right. Most of are ancestors were warriors and farmers/peasants. Despite common belief, there arent too many instances of nobility or royalty being sold into slavery jn thr Americas

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
there were few revolts that rose up but like harriet tubman said

I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves

John Brown, paul bogle, nat turner, haitian revolution, gaspar yanga, baptist war, st john insurrection

i always say i wish i could have a time machine and go back in time with like 50 special forces type nikkaz :demon:
Its crazy the impact the haitian revolution had on the west and how they handle business/white supremacy

Word of what happened in Haiti was slowly finding its way into the ears of U.S. slaves.

but yeah with over 250 documented cases of North American slave revolts. The most well known North American slave revolt cases occurred around the time of the Haitian revolt:

Gabriel Prosser revolt 1800, Igbo Landing revolt 1803, Chatham Manor revolt 1805, Louisiana German Coast Uprising 1811, George Boxley revolt 1815, Denmark Vesey revolt 1822, Nat Turner revolt 1831.

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
About 90 percent of slaves bought to the new world went to Brazil. Kind of amazing when you think about it.
Not surprising considering the Portugeuse held a monopoly on the slave trade for West Africa via the Asiento, courtesy of Spain until they were replaced by the Dutch West India Company in 1621. And Brazil was their only American Colony so where else would they bring their slaves.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
The vocab of creole is french but its syntax and grammar is straight african
I had to come back to this.
Do you even speak creole, breh? :usure:
Because I was having a conversation with my homegirl who is a languistics major yesterday and the topic came up. Damn near every sentence i said in creole i was able to link it to the same sentence in french but with gramatical errors (ie incorrect verb tenses and mispronounced words)

So again, other blacks were stripped of their cultures too. SOme managed to keep more than others and integrated the language of whites into ours and evolved from there. Haitians had to endure colonization from the Spanish and French and then occupation invasion/occupation by the United States. We retained more of the french language than all the others but we still have spanish and english words that we have adopted into our language. As we speak our creole, no african native who hasnt been taught our language or at least french will understand it.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I had to come back to this.
Do you even speak creole, breh? :usure:
Because I was having a conversation with my homegirl who is a languistics major yesterday and the topic came up. Damn near every sentence i said in creole i was able to link it to the same sentence in french but with gramatical errors (ie incorrect verb tenses and mispronounced words)

So again, other blacks were stripped of their cultures too. SOme managed to keep more than others and integrated the language of whites into ours and evolved from there. Haitians had to endure colonization from the Spanish and French and then occupation invasion/occupation by the United States. We retained more of the french language than all the others but we still have spanish and english words that we have adopted into our language. As we speak our creole, no african native who hasnt been taught our language or at least french will understand it.

i don't speak Creole but my mom and most of her side do. @ the bolded, thats the African influence, specifically the Gbe languages in West Africa.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
i don't speak Creole but my mom and most of her side do. @ the bolded, thats the African influence, specifically the Gbe languages in West Africa.
Where is your mom's family from?

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
PAP and Miragoane. My mom was born in Aruba tho
Miragoane mother fukkas. I should have known :snoop:

Just fukking with you, G. I love Miragoane. Used to stop by there on my way to Cayes to buy mangoes. At least i thought we were stopping to buy mangoes. Turns out my dad had a jump off there :pachaha: Only occured to me when my sister said "notice we dont stop there when mom is with us" :deadmanny:

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
The president of Brazil told Theodore Roosevelt that the key to solving the race issue in america was to absorb black people into the white race because segregation leads to a strengthening of blacks as they constantly push for power and have to be stomped out over and over again
I think this is the same idea when my homeboy was talking to me abotu black conservatives. Basically the idea was to separate black and white societies in order for black to prosper within their own communities without outside influence.

Not sure it would work in THIS country, however.

Akata Man Bromo

Still learning....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade/Broward
I hear you. I'm just tired of the"we were kings" bull shyt
Aye breh you know anything about buying land in Haiti? My Friends cousin is from palm beach and they just had a nice ass house built near the beach for a price so low I couldn't believe it :patrice: How legit is this?