Photos of 19th century Afro-Brazilian Slavery

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Bruh you contradicted yourself. The north didn't have slaves.

They may not have been the majority in the whole US, but there were DEFINITELY more slaves than whites in the SOUTH, to the point where it got worrisome. Contrary to popular beliefs, revolts were on and popping. They realized they needed to stop bringing in new slaves and the cultural history they brought with them.

the North had slaves breh, don't believe that nonsense they had "informal" slavery even after they legally abolished slavery. there were areas and states that had black majorities (S. Carolina, Louisiana etc) but overall the population of N. America has always been predominantly white. the us/great britain stopping importing so many slaves because the population in the US could naturally increase. its all economics.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Seriously before coming to the coli, when I pictured Brazil, I pictured Hispanic looking ppl.

Brazil is actually majority black and mulatto but Brazil (like many Latin American nations) tried really hard to project this image of being white and encourage interracial marriages and European immigration.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Them Indians and co head over there from their own will..big difference!

Maybe they go on their own will, doesn't mean that they stay on their own will.

Seriously before coming to the coli, when I pictured Brazil, I pictured Hispanic looking ppl.

Even though they speak Portuguese?

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Brazil is actually majority black and mulatto but Brazil (like many Latin American nations) tried really hard to project this image of being white and encourage interracial marriages and European immigration.

Yup. This what I was trying to say in my first post.

Matter of fact I was watching some show in Brazil ( for the ladies ). And this is exactly what they showed. So if you didn't know, you would assume the whole country looked like that

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Brazil isn't a majority Black nation :snoop:

It is majority mixed nation, some heavily European, some heavily African

The State of Bahia is the place where Black Brazilians live, many in quilombos

Though Portuguese is the official language, you have tons of Spanish speakers from neighboring countries and from Spain itself

You have to understand that Brazil has flooded its country with European immigrants since the 1800s to wash out the Blacks and Browns. I read that since 2008 ALONE, 1 million Spanish immigrants have come to Brazil. They are the 2nd largest group after mixed people. This is why you have frauds like Gisele Bundchen claiming she is Brazilian when she is German.

no.

girls just wanna have funds
Daps
Reppin
BRASIL

Though Portuguese is the official language, you have tons of Spanish speakers from neighboring countries and from Spain itself

You have to understand that Brazil has flooded its country with European immigrants since the 1800s to wash out the Blacks and Browns. I read that since 2008 ALONE, 1 million Spanish immigrants have come to Brazil. They are the 2nd largest group after mixed people. This is why you have frauds like Gisele Bundchen claiming she is Brazilian when she is German.

She's brazilian. Period. She was born and raised here. You have absolutely no right to go calling the children of immigrants frauds. Especially when you come from a country like america, where you have people of all descents. Japanese americans and indian americans and polish americans and stuff. :wtf:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
She's brazilian. Period. She was born here. You have absolutely no right to go calling the children of immigrants frauds. Especially when you come from a country like america, where you have people of all descents. Japanese americans and indian americans and polish americans stuff. :wtf:

When you have European immigrants as the face of Brazil then something is wrong.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps

the last census shows that about 50% of Brazil is black/"pardo"

no.

girls just wanna have funds
Daps
Reppin
BRASIL
When you have European immigrants as the face of Brazil then something is wrong.

I do agree that our representation should reflect diversity, but that doesn't mean the woman doesn't have the right to call herself brazilian. Especially when our country has a whole region (the south, comprised of Santa Catarina, Paraná and Rio Grande do Sul, where Gisele is from) where the majority of people gonna look like her. And I don't see Brazil splitting from the south ever, so until then she has as much right to call herself brazilian as anyone else. The problem isn't Gisele being out there, it's that people of other ethnicities should also be out there, instead of getting erased by the international media.