Phonte - No News Is Good News (DIscussion Thread)

BO BARON

IT AIN'T $HIT!!!!
Daps
Reppin
Jackson, MS
I was originally gonna skim through it because its sooooooooooo many fukking albums coming out everyday & plus ive never listen to little brother album or any of their solo projects :hubie:

But i couldn't do it wanted to tried to but couldn't:ld:

Great album man glad i listened :ehh:

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
I was originally gonna skim through it because its sooooooooooo many fukking albums coming out everyday & plus ive never listen to little brother album or any of their solo projects :hubie:

"I went from nikkas telling me I really shouldn't rhyme to dropping classic album motherfukkers couldn't find"

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sadness & Reflection: A Soul-Baring Conversation with Phonte
You’ve been in the entertainment business for so long, what does success mean to you now?

Success at the point, in 2018, is still having an audience. Still having people willing to listen. I had a cat reach out to me on Twitter and he was like, "Yeah so, I logged into Spotify and I changed my VPN to a foreign country because albums drop earlier in foreign countries so I was able to listen to your album, this shyt is dope man, keep bangin'." So 10-15 years ago, the thought of someone “bootlegging” your shyt is "Aw that’s fukked up," you’d be feeling mad. And now it’s just like, this dude, in a world where we have 700 channels, Netflix, Hulu, fukkin’ Amazon Prime, and access to damn near every song in recording music, took time out his day to nikka rig his Spotify to listen to my shyt. That means a lot. Maybe that’s the new “Going to the record store,” I don’t know!

Which one of y'all was this that hit up Tay on Twitter?
Or is phonte a coli breh on the low?:ohhh:
That militant with 2 white girls line was lookin a lil too familiar
:russ:

UWasntThere

Superstar
Daps

Neg worthy
You're doing yourself a massive disservice. The Minstrel Show is probably my favorite album of all time. I could listen to that everyday

Brandwin

Pro
Daps
Sadness & Reflection: A Soul-Baring Conversation with Phonte
You’ve been in the entertainment business for so long, what does success mean to you now?

Success at the point, in 2018, is still having an audience. Still having people willing to listen. I had a cat reach out to me on Twitter and he was like, "Yeah so, I logged into Spotify and I changed my VPN to a foreign country because albums drop earlier in foreign countries so I was able to listen to your album, this shyt is dope man, keep bangin'." So 10-15 years ago, the thought of someone “bootlegging” your shyt is "Aw that’s fukked up," you’d be feeling mad. And now it’s just like, this dude, in a world where we have 700 channels, Netflix, Hulu, fukkin’ Amazon Prime, and access to damn near every song in recording music, took time out his day to nikka rig his Spotify to listen to my shyt. That means a lot. Maybe that’s the new “Going to the record store,” I don’t know!

Which one of y'all was this that hit up Tay on Twitter?
Or is phonte a coli breh on the low?:ohhh:
That militant with 2 white girls line was lookin a lil too familiar
:russ:

*Raises hand* twas I. Not sure if anyone else did. But I definitely hit him up last Friday early afternoon and told him how I listened already and how nice the album was.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dope as fukk but it comes off as a continuation of the themes he touched on, on the last album.

This is where Hip-Hop artist's should be post their 20's. When you're in the middle of your 30's or 40's and you're dealing with the realities of aging (parents dying, children growing older, retirement, career progression etc.) You should be writing songs that reflect this.

Phonte's continued maturity as an artist has been awesome and is a glimpse into what Hip-Hop ( and really R&B...) could be.

There's a ton of Jazz on this album and it flows very smoothly into the production. Awesome Synths and banging drums with Harmony fit for Contemporary Jazz. In some ways it's more reminiscent of Neo-Soul than full on Hip-Hop.

Great album, I've only listened once and I want to go back !!!

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear from Phonte. Introspective lyrics, real grown man shyt I can relate to. Knew how this album was going to be and it was everything I expected. The only flaw I saw personally about this album is that it being short. As for the beats I could take em or leave em. I always thought whatever he would be rhyming over, lyrically, was gonna be dope, just one of those type of artists who grabbed my ear like that.

Album made you wanna hear more about his take on other issues. Glad he made another album for us to marinate on when he didn't have to, like he said...."Until we meet again...":francis:

Dope album. Been putting my older family members and potnas on this album, they love it.

Black Lightning

Superstar
Daps
To the Rescue

giphy.gif

So Help Me God

giphy.gif

Pastor Tigallo

giphy.gif

Expensive Genes

giphy.gif

Cry No More