Phonte - No News Is Good News (DIscussion Thread)

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Hell of an album.

Every track on here got me thinking about possibilities.

Dude is a hell of a- HELL of a lyricist. I wonder if he claim Drake and Joe Budden on his tax returns every year.

That one-two combination of Expensive Genes and Cry No More.... that's straight soul music for grown ups. Even if you can't relate (I only know "of" my dad) you gonna be thinking.

Sweet You is the shyt I'd rather see folks dancing to after weddings instead of the electric slide or whatever the fukk

this is a 4.5/5 album

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
What a ridiculous comment, Phonte been doing grown man bars, reality rap since the beginning. Only difference is Phonte's shyt is actually relatable to the average consumer, the regular 9-5 nikka can fantasize about generational wealth and billionare talk all we want, most won't be in Hov's position.
Yeah, knowing Phonte I honestly don't think he was heavily inspired by 4:44 at all on this album. He's so original, I think a lot of his inspiration is more often from seeing his friends and peers release good music (Evidence, Elzhi, Royce, etc.) than getting sonic inspiration. He doesn't really do what anyone else does in terms of picking beats and producing songs.

The themes are "grown" but his themes have always been pretty much about whatever goes on in the age range of the time he recorded it. It's been that way since Speed when he was rapping about freestyling in the shower wearing slip flops in the dorm, to having a dead-end job as an early 20-something, etc etc, all the way to rapping now about being on his 2nd marriage and enjoying life.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Definitely I interested in this, would love to see him live.
If you ever get the chance, please do.

Little Brother was a top 3 hip-hop act live of all time IMO.

Phonte holds it down. He's an emcee in the classical definition of the word. He owns the stage. He'll do standup comedy. He'll sing,. Dance. Rap. He'll entertain the shyt out of you, and he has a ton of energy, really good breath control on the mic, and the list goes on.

Even if it's a Foreign Exchange show, I'd still advise going to check it out.