Philadelphia is a highly slept on city...

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
Indeed...it almost doesn't even feel like it fits in the rest of Pennsylvania cause its like you said...A world class city filled with culture, diversity, and foreign/domestic commerce. The rest of PA is just backwater and country and white as snow (with the exception of all the Hispanics around the reading/Lancaster area and the small black population in western pa).
Northeastern PA is fine too, it's basically a suburb of NY and NJ. :ehh: I grew up and lived in the Poconos area from ages 13-21 until I moved to Atlanta a little over a year ago.

Central PA tho :merchant: :whoa:

1stPick

Banned
Daps
I've been here for a long time now, I like it hell of a lot better than my hometown (Vancouver)

What I dont get is why is it that there are so many people (especially New Yorkers/Texans) who have such a weird obsession with hating Philadelphia :mindblown:, you are never on our minds yet they feel the need to come into every Philadelphia discussion and talk shyt. It's similar to the weird obsession a lot of CACs have with Black people.

As far as Philadelphia goes, there is a very nice Afrocentric feeling in this city that outsiders dont see as Italians/Irish are usually the face of the city but Blacks are everywhere here, the mayor is black, the food is awesome. You gotta try Ritas's Water Ice, Herr's Potato Chips and hit up Wawa if you ever slide through. Of course, Cheeseteaks as well.

KeysT

Playa from the Himalayas #ByrdGang
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
philly3.jpg
My homie took this picture

KeysT

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Haha it's crazy to see Philly get love on The Coli. These threads go either way.. Usually with a bunch of people that have never been to Philly chiming in because they watched the Wire and think it's like Balitmore. I love my hometown and it's dope because Philly is perpetually slept on when it comes to cities. I think we are the right behind Houston in terms of numbers. The vibe in the city is amazing and getting better these last couple of years. Dope festivals pens landing is popping and we just had The Roots festival.

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
Nice.

Also...people need to stop comparing Philadelphia to Pittsburgh. Philly is an actual east coast city. Pittsburgh is crackerville USA that feels more like the south and the Midwest than an actual northeastern city.

No way a southern city is that cloudy and snowy.

Pittsburgh black % is similar to Houston's and NYCs right?

Daps
Reppin
VOID
Northeastern PA is fine too, it's basically a suburb of NY and NJ. :ehh: I grew up and lived in the Poconos area from ages 13-21 until I moved to Atlanta a little over a year ago.

Central PA tho :merchant: :whoa:
My car broke down in central pa coming back from a concert in philly in 2005. Nightmare scenario. I was in a town where I was the only black guy and person of color in it...had to deal with the nastiest most hateful white people ever.

Never again...:wow:

Daps
Reppin
VOID
Btw....geno's steaks is sooooooo overated.

Best philly cheesteak I've ever had was at Penn station. I don't fcuk with anything else.

KeysT

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
My car broke down in central pa coming back from a concert in philly in 2005. Nightmare scenario. I was in a town where I was the only black guy and person of color in it...had to deal with the nastiest most hateful white people ever.

Never again...:wow:
Details please.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Haha it's crazy to see Philly get love on The Coli. These threads go either way.. Usually with a bunch of people that have never been to Philly chiming in because they watched the Wire and think it's like Balitmore. I love my hometown and it's dope because Philly is perpetually slept on when it comes to cities. I think we are the right behind Houston in terms of numbers. The vibe in the city is amazing and getting better these last couple of years. Dope festivals pens landing is popping and we just had The Roots festival.
Philly is great but some people got weird views on the city for some reason. I'm actually surprised OP started this because a month ago he said he would rather stay in DC or something like that. Dude had the nerve to get mad when I was just fukking with him about that too. Philly is changing though and I'm curious to see how it plays out in the next 10-20 years or so.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
The Northeast is already cool with proximity to so many various large cities/metros with highways, buses, and Amtrak :scust:......but Maglev technology would make this joker one big 400 mile long city. :ehh:. Also see http://www.thecoli.com/threads/whats-your-megapolitan-megaregion-megalopolis-looking-like.7422/

Probably a far away fantasy
but....

http://www.govtech.com/fs/news/Maglev-High-Speed-Rail-Pitched-for-Philly-to-NYC.html

Maglev High-Speed Rail Pitched for Philly to NYC

BY PAUL NUSSBAUM - THE PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER / MARCH 5, 201

Former Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell on Tuesday hosted a pitch for a super-high-speed, magnetically levitated train that could whisk riders from Philadelphia to New York City in 25 minutes and to Washington in 30. :damn: :wow: GAME CHANGER
2jbps8x.png

Rendell and other ex-politicians, public officials, and business executives have been hired to raise support for a Japanese-financed maglev train on the Northeast Corridor, operating between Washington and New York

The Central Japan Railway Co. owns the maglev technology, and the Japanese government has offered to finance about half of the more than $10 billion cost of an initial segment that could be operating between Washington and Baltimore within 10 years.

At a Center City gathering of political, corporate and civic leaders, the maglev backers outlined a vision of a $100 billion line with 311-mile-per-hour trains traveling in tunnels and atop elevated pylons between Washington and New York in an hour, with a stop in Philadelphia.

Other "local" maglev trains would also stop in Baltimore, BWI Airport, Wilmington, Philadelphia International Airport, and Newark International Airport.

Detractors have dismissed the idea as too expensive and too experimental, especially in a political climate where even conventional high-speed trains can't get funding.

Rendell, who took a ride in November on a maglev test track in Japan, said Tuesday it's "time for America to do something big and something great."

"I got off that train and said, 'We've got to do this,' " he said.

Japan's maglev trains are propelled by electromagnetic forces acting between superconducting magnets on the vehicle and reaction coils on the walls of the U-shaped channel in which the train runs.

At speeds of more than 90 m.p.h., the train levitates and zips along, four inches above its guideway. At lower speeds, it runs on rubber wheels.

Central Japan Railway hopes to eventually build a $100 billion maglev line between Tokyo and Osaka, but it only has constructed an 11.4-mile test track so far.

China, using German technology, operates a 19-mile-long maglev train line in Shanghai.

The Northeast Maglev, the American company formed in 2010 to bring the Japanese technology to the United States, hosted Tuesday's lunch gathering on the 45th floor of the Comcast Center, with Comcast chief executive Brian Roberts offering his support in a brief telephone cameo from Los Angeles.

Those attending included Lt. Gov. Jim Cawley, City Council President Darrell L. Clarke, Deputy Mayor Rina Cutler, state legislators, and business, academic, and civic leaders.

Former Democratic U.S. Sen. Tom Daschle, now a Washington policy adviser to law firm DLA Piper, chairs the advisory board of the Northeast Maglev, and told the Philadelphia audience that "for a long time, we've heard people say it's impossible, but now it's been done. Now it's real."

Other advisory board members include Rendell, former Republican Govs. George S. Pataki of New York and Christie Whitman of New Jersey, former U.S. Transportation Secretaries Mary Peters and Rodney Slater, Kevin Plank, founder of Baltimore-based sportswear manufacturer Under Armour Inc., and former Northwest Airlines chief executive Douglas Steenland.

The company says a maglev line will require substantial federal funding as well as private investment.

The chief executive of The Northeast Maglev is Wayne L. Rogers, former Democratic state chairman of Maryland.

Rogers said he did not consider the maglev proposal in competition with Amtrak, which has its own long-range vision to bring conventional high-speed trains to the Northeast Corridor.

Andy Kunz, president of the U.S. High Speed Rail Association, dismissed maglev as an expensive distraction from conventional high-speed trains.

"It's a way to pretend we're doing something," Kunz said.

"It's as much as five times more expensive per mile," he said. "I'm all for forward thinking and new ideas, but I'm also for building what's off the shelf so we can enjoy the benefits today."

In a statement Tuesday, Amtrak said it was "prepared to operate maglev trains as part of a coordinated intercity passenger rail system at that point in the future that might see the vision of maglev supporters realized."

But Amtrak, which struggles annually to get congressional financial support for existing rail service, said "any major improvement to intercity passenger rail transportation, such as maglev, faces major funding and logistical obstacles that only a new paradigm in support for public transportation can address."

BY THE NUMBERS

$100B: Projected cost to build route from New York to D.C.

311: Speed in miles per hour of maglev train.

25: Minutes to get from Phila. to New York. Time from Phila. to D.C. would be 30 minutes.

pnussbaum@phillynews.com

Last edited:

Darealtwo1

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Yea...that's one thing you take for granted on the East Coast.

Everywhere else in the country its not like that. LA somewhat because they have SD, AZ, Vegas nearby.

I just like the fact that any Saturday if I wanna get out of town, I can be in Harlem chilling, down in Georgetown DC shopping, down in Baltimore eating crabs on the harbor, which I did for three straight weeks in May :pachaha: I love that shyt :mjcry:

LA to vegas is 5hrs with minimal traffic breh :dahell:

Darealtwo1

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Philly looks great but I don't wanna get shot for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If I was working in NY I think I would want to live in jersey since its a lot closer....those downtown pics look great though! :whew:

esp these ones

philadelphia_south_street1.jpg

13th-street-midtown-village-sam-oberter-940.jpg

:banderas:

• Dap
Reactions: Dip