Phil Spencer is right: AAA games are in big trouble (Article)

Daps
You really can’t read, or you are just playing dumb :mjlol:

Nintendo ain’t innovating in the AAA space. At least not recently.

They put money behind Zelda, Mario, Etc.

New IP like Sushi Strikers gets a much smaller budget.
Really? Show me those Nintendo budgets for the latest Mario, the latest Zelda, and the latest Arms. Show me R&D budgets on Labo while you're at it, and Ring Fit.

Or are you illiterate Xbox stans not able to read numbers either? :mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol:

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
That mid budget AA game gotta come back. Thats how a lot of euro devs built their brand up.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Really? Show me those Nintendo budgets for the latest Mario, the latest Zelda, and the latest Arms. Show me R&D budgets on Labo while you're at it, and Ring Fit.

Or are you illiterate Xbox stans not able to read numbers either? :mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol:
We’ve already done this. I’ve answered your questions.

Now answer mine.

““Over the past 5-7 years, the AAA publishers have tried to use production scale as their new moat. Very few companies can afford to spend the $200M an Activision or Take 2 spend to put a title like Call of Duty or Red Dead Redemption on the shelf. These AAA publishers have, mostly, used this production scale to keep their top franchises in the top selling games each year. The issue these publishers have run into is these same production scale/cost approach hurts their ability to create new IP. The hurdle rate on new IP at these high production levels have led to risk aversion by big publishers on new IP. You’ve seen a rise of AAA publishers using rented IP to try to offset the risk (Star Wars with EA, Spiderman with Sony, Avatar with Ubisoft etc). This same dynamic has obviously played out in Hollywood as well with Netflix creating more new IP than any of the movie studios.”

Which Nintendo game(s) fit this criteria??

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
cost and time is too high. Just like movies. This is what Im hoping AI fixes, the cost of development and time. People see jobs getting cut, but shyt was starting to get crazy out here. TV shows taking 2-3 years to drop cause of post production. Movies taking forever cause of CGI.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
No we haven't.

You made the claim that Nintendo is putting all their money into Zelda and Mario and not into Arms, Ring Fit, or Labo.

Prove it or you must be talking out of your ass.
It’s obvious.

If they aren’t they lost hella money on Labo.

You really think they spent more money on Labo than zelda and only sold about a million of them? I bought a Labo for my kids for like $10 on a target clearance rack, pretty much ZERO nintendo games ever go on sale like that. Labo was the flop of flops, While Zelda sold like 10 mill in two seconds?

Which again only proves the point of the damn thread.

New IP is Risky as fukk and not very lucrative. Nintendo continually fails at it like everyone else.

What are you still confused about??

Hitchens

Pro
Daps
Multiple Forza games
Halo Infinite
Gears
Deathloop
Sea of Theives
Flight simulator
Ghostwire tokyo
Phsyconaughts
Starfield
State of Decay
This is a troll post. Half of the games on the list flopped or underperformed in actual sales.Halo infinite, Gears,Deathloop, Ghostwire, psychonauts, starfield all bombed or underperformed at retail.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is a troll post. Half of the games on the list flopped or underperformed in actual sales.Halo infinite, Gears,Deathloop, Ghostwire, psychonauts, starfield all bombed or underperformed at retail.

Xbox don’t get shyt :mjlol:

The had to run out and buy zenimax just to have something this generation

MoshpitMazi

Moshpit Gxng/ Anti Fash
Daps
Reppin
Stone Mountain GA

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
That’s not true at all. You goofies just make up your own stories as you go along.

Hitchens

Pro
Daps
That’s not true at all. You goofies just make up your own stories as you go along.

Halo and gears are players count not sales.

In the UK,Microsoft second biggest market,Gears 5 only sold a fraction of what it predecessor did at retail.

"It’s 2019, and the standards for a game’s success are rapidly shifting. Gears 5 sales – at least in the UK – have been just a fraction of its predecessors"

Psychonauts 2 being double fine bestselling is not impressive given the fact that double fine games don't sell that well.