Phil Spencer is right: AAA games are in big trouble (Article)

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Why would we have smoke for the only platform releasing day one aaa games monthly quarterly ?

You mean day one AAA games like Halo Infinite, Redfall and Sevenfield?

Yeah you should have smoke for why these guys keep repeatedly fukking up with seemingly zero QA for their games.

Even Ghostwire, a now MS 1P game, launched as a complete mess on XSX - while running completely fine on PS5.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You mean day one AAA games like Halo Infinite, Redfall and Sevenfield?

Yeah you should have smoke for why these guys keep repeatedly fukking up with seemingly zero QA for their games.

Even Ghostwire, a now MS 1P game, launched as a complete mess on XSX - while running completely fine on PS5.

Exactly, games are average to trash. No one cares how much they launch if theres not gonna be quality control. Just like Tubi :yeshrug:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
1. Splatoon

2. Animal Crossing wasn't an established IP. It did 3.3 milly three games in. There was nothing to depend on. Then Nintendo turned it into a tentpole. It's nonsense to pretend like it was a popping IP that Nintendo could depend on until this generation. Maybe you can say the 3DS game set it up to explode, that would be fair, but it wasn't an IP like that, and now I see Isabelle up in all the videos. Again, why can't EA or T2 put out a new IP, have patience with it, and grow it organically? Why is Nintendo somehow the only company to do this?

3. Nintendo is still taking risks with new IP, too. They put out ARMS, for example. We'll see if they go back to the drawing board and tweak it. I wouldn't be surprised if they figure it out.

They also launched new AAA IP this generation. They did LABO. They did 1-2-Switch. They did that game builder garage game. They engineered a hit with Ring Fit.

I would call Ring Fit a legitimate hit that's a new IP. It did 14M in sales.
Splatoon came out almost a decade ago Animal crossing over 20 years.

He’s talking about currently in todays gaming landscape.

Nintendo hasn’t hit on a new IP since splatoon.

Arms flopped, Labo flopped. 1 2 switch flopped. They won’t be going back to any of those IP

Ring fit was a different situation as it was viewed as a workout thing not a game.

But even if we count ring fit. That’s a 1 hot IP every 10 year average :huhldup:

Daps
Splatoon came out almost a decade ago Animal crossing over 20 years.

He’s talking about currently in todays gaming landscape.

Nintendo hasn’t hit on a new IP since splatoon.

Arms flopped, Labo flopped. 1 2 switch flopped. They won’t be going back to any of those IP

Ring fit was a different situation as it was viewed as a workout thing not a game.

But even if we count ring fit. That’s a 1 hot IP every 10 year average :huhldup:
Splatoon is one console generation ago, breh. One generation.

They have another 1-2 Switch ready to go right now, brethren. Who is to say they won't go back to ARMS? They went back to Kid Icarus twenty years after the last one, for example.

Don't move goalposts, either. Ring Fit is a hit. Don't give me that bu-bu-but fitness game stuff.

The point is that Nintendo launches new IP all the time, literally every year. Now you're saying, "But was it a hit?" when the point of the article is that new game IP is dead from big developers, and no, it really isn't. I see Nintendo releasing new shyt all the time, and some of it, they nurture to its full potential when EA or T2 would kill it for low sales.

So back to my original question and away from all the digression you've went into here: Why can Nintendo release new IP all the time and EA or T2 can't?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Why the hell wouldn’t you count a game that sold 15 million copies? :dahell:

xbox stans have the weirdest metrics for success:

“We have reached 5 million players”

Xbox stans: UNCLE PHIL, MY ZADDY 😍

“We have sold 15 million copies”

Xbox stans: :francis:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Exactly, games are average to trash. No one cares how much they launch if theres no gonna be quality control. Just like Tubi :yeshrug:

Not only that - there's obvious deception going on too with how MS exclusively previewed the PC version of Redfall to stans (instead of media), and then revealed the console version will only be 30 FPS like a week before release lol.

Then the jury rigging with Sevenfield reviews because they didn't want apparently harsher critics like Eurogamer and Edge to keep it real about Sevenfield.

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
Well stop making AAA games then.

Rather than make a AA game that they can build up, publishers now pour 100s of millions into one project, hoping that it will be successful then funding multiple smaller games.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Splatoon is one console generation ago, breh. One generation.

They have another 1-2 Switch ready to go right now, brethren.
In about 3 generations of hardware nintendo has come out of it with 1 maybe 2 IP new they can add to mario zelda etc.

If nintendo is the best at it and they only got one. Everybody else don’t stand a damn chance.

Daps
In about 3 generations of hardware nintendo has come out of it with 1 maybe 2 IP new they can add to mario zelda etc.

If nintendo is the best at it and they only got one. Everybody else don’t stand a damn chance.
So you don't know why Nintendo can continue to release new IP every year, but EA and T2 can't, is what I take from this response.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Why the hell wouldn’t you count a game that sold 15 million copies? :dahell:

xbox stans have the weirdest metrics for success:

“We have reached 5 million players”

Xbox stans: UNCLE PHIL, MY ZADDY 😍

“We have sold 15 million copies”

Xbox stans: :francis:
Because like i said it went beyond gaming into utility. Hospitals and schools were buying that game.

99% of games won’t get that chance.

Daps
Nintendo does not release successful new ip every year.

In 20 years you came up with 3

Why are y’all like this :mjlol:

:mjlol:
Meach struggling to count to more than seven, just like Starfield.

And I said new IP

CEO of Morgan Industries said:
So you don't know why Nintendo can continue to release new IP every year, but EA and T2 can't, is what I take from this response.
You're the dude who added "successful."

Can you possibly explain why Nintendo can risk it all releasing new IP all the time and T2 and EA can't?