Phil Spencer is right: AAA games are in big trouble (Article)

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
The premise of this Polygon article is wrong. Nintendo launched a new successful IP on a complete bomb of a console that sold only 14M units and built it into a major tentpole.

"Most specifically Nintendo" is nonsense. They have so many popular IP that they don't even release games in each of them every generation, and they're always adding to that portfolio and reshaping middle-level IP into big hits. Animal Crossing Wii did 3.3 million on a 100M+ install base. Two generations later, Animal Crossing Switch does 44 million on a 100M+ install base.

So I repeat: How is Nintendo able to build and manage multiple successful IP when EA, T2, etc. can't? What's their secret business and creative sauce?

I see what you are saying but Nintendo cant be compared. Their loyalty amongst the fanbase is uncharted plus their games dont cost what a Starfield Last of Us COD etc.. cost publishers/developers.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The premise of this Polygon article is wrong. Nintendo launched a new successful IP on a complete bomb of a console that sold only 14M units and built it into a major tentpole.
What game is this?
"Most specifically Nintendo" is nonsense. They have so many popular IP that they don't even release games in each of them every generation, and they're always adding to that portfolio and reshaping middle-level IP into big hits. Animal Crossing Wii did 3.3 million on a 100M+ install base. Two generations later, Animal Crossing Switch does 44 million on a 100M+ install base.
You talmbout shyt that came out decades ago :dahell:

That’s specially what the article is about publisher HAVE to rely on established IP at this point.
So I repeat: How is Nintendo able to build and manage multiple successful IP when EA, T2, etc. can't? What's their secret business and creative sauce?
Nintendo doesn’t have any recent very successful new IP.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Too many games are created to generate revenue rather than just being a great game.
Shareholders matter more than gamers anymore. They dgaf about the art beyond increasing quarterly profits. shyt’s corny, but it got me to step back from gaming and find other outlets, so I can’t be too mad

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
this would sound better from a person who has put out new big AAA IP throughout their career

Not someone who has coasted on 3 gaming franchises and than ran out and bought a bunch of legacy IP for 80 billion dollars

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
this would sound better from a person who has put out new big AAA IP throughout their career

Not someone who has coasted on 3 gaming franchises and than ran out and bought a bunch of legacy IP for 80 billion dollars
Phil spencer doesn’t make games.

His job is to make xbox successful. Xbox is in the best place it’s ever been right now, and perfectly positioned to be a top player through the AAA bubble bursting.

Again it’s why Sony is following microsoft in their business plan, despite selling more consoles right now.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Fandom is crazy.

Dude is talking about the entire industry where we clearly see things constricting around a few IP. Studios closing left and right. Hella sequels, remasters, and just way fewer AAA games period.

For like the last 2 or 3 Nintendo Directs now, the only games people came out of them excited for where remasters. Sony straight up said they are gonna invest most of their money into multiplatform GAAS going forward. They will release only 1 AAA game this year and it’s looking like next year only 1 or 2.

But we get the thread and all most of you can say is.

Nintendo is great
Sony is great
Microsoft sucks

Conversation on this site is broken if it ain’t stan wars :wow:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
His job is to make xbox successful. Xbox is in the best place it’s ever been right now, and perfectly positioned to be a top player through the AAA bubble bursting.
Is that why they bought two publishers that specialize in AAA games and requires multiple developers that consist of 100’s of employees to put out an annual series?:mjlol:

Yall on some tony robbins-phil spencer seminar shyt. sony and nintendo will never put their games out day one on a subscription service so no one is following microsofts path down that hellscape

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Is that why they bought two publishers that specialize in AAA games and requires multiple developers that consist of 100’s of employees to put out an annual series?:mjlol:
Yes, cause that’s the only way AAA games are successful in 2023. And they won’t be “exclusive” and they are mostly GAAS.

Daps
What game is this?

You talmbout shyt that came out decades ago :dahell:

That’s specially what the article is about publisher HAVE to rely on established IP at this point.

Nintendo doesn’t have any recent very successful new IP.
1. Splatoon

2. Animal Crossing wasn't an established IP. It did 3.3 milly three games in. There was nothing to depend on. Then Nintendo turned it into a tentpole. It's nonsense to pretend like it was a popping IP that Nintendo could depend on until this generation. Maybe you can say the 3DS game set it up to explode, that would be fair, but it wasn't an IP like that, and now I see Isabelle up in all the videos. Again, why can't EA or T2 put out a new IP, have patience with it, and grow it organically? Why is Nintendo somehow the only company to do this?

3. Nintendo is still taking risks with new IP, too. They put out ARMS, for example. We'll see if they go back to the drawing board and tweak it. I wouldn't be surprised if they figure it out.

They also launched new AAA IP this generation. They did LABO. They did 1-2-Switch. They did that game builder garage game. They engineered a hit with Ring Fit.

I would call Ring Fit a legitimate hit that's a new IP. It did 14M in sales.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Sony hasn’t released a new IP in over 3 years now and have seemingly ZERO in the works other than the multiplatform AAA games they announced.

Wonder why :ohhh:

And the same applies to microsft outside of buying games that were already in production. Sony has created far more SUCCCESFUL new ip in the last 5 years than Microsoft has in two generations

Daps

Sony hasn't released a new IP since, what, Returnal? That's because AAA game development is a years-long cycle. They probably have new IP in the works.

My issue with Sony is they are focusing heavily on AAA IP in general. They don't do the AA development thing, which is a shame because as we see from Nintendo, that type of development can produce interesting stuff.

Honestly, Microsoft is better at producing AA stuff. The reason people shyt on Microsoft is their AAA development, but they have good AA games like State of Decay and Hi-Fi Rush (I know the latter was in development before Microsoft bought Bethesda, but my point remains).