Pete Rock set to sue Nas over "World is Yours" royalties

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
To be fair, whether Pete wrote the hook or not doesn't really matter. He's still owed performance royalties for that and the production of the record.

Now whether Nas owes him or not, we don't know. But he should get paid what he's owed.
I don’t think anyone here said Pete shouldn’t be paid if he’s owed money. It’s moreso him going at Nas rather than Sony. And it seems strange Nas would have his own personal contract with him and not the other producers. Whatever he’s owed he needs to be paid. The lawsuit sounds funny tho.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I don’t think anyone here said Pete shouldn’t be paid if he’s owed money. It’s moreso him going at Nas rather than Sony. And it seems strange Nas would have his own personal contract with him and not the other producers. Whatever he’s owed he needs to be paid. The lawsuit sounds funny tho.
It depends on who owes him the money, from the article it's implying it's specifically Nas that owes him the money, not Sony. It states him and his lawyer reached out to Nas multiple times to get the money owed, and for whatever reason, they never got it. So now a lawsuit seems to be their best recourse at this point.

I have no idea if Nas owes or doesn't, if they signed an exclusive deal that others didn't. I guess we'll find out if it ever goes that far. I somehow feel they'll work it out before hand.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
It depends on who owes him the money, from the article it's implying it's specifically Nas that owes him the money, not Sony. It states him and his lawyer reached out to Nas multiple times to get the money owed, and for whatever reason, they never got it. So now a lawsuit seems to be their best recourse at this point.

I have no idea if Nas owes or doesn't, if they signed an exclusive deal that others didn't. I guess we'll find out if it ever goes that far. I somehow feel they'll work it out before hand.
I know that the article says. I’m stating that the claims don’t really make a lot of sense to me but I’ve also heard Pete used to be wack to do business with back in the day so who knows. If Pete is owed. He should be paid. I just find it weird that out of all the producers, he’s the one with the personal contract.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
If theres a contract and Pete and his lawyers been trying to resolve it quietly to no avail, Pay the man. Really shouldnt be all this outrage from the Nas disciples.
U do know that out of everyone in this thread. The only ones really shytting on Pete Rock are the people who barely ever come in Nas threads or even speak on Nas. I guess they Nas disciples too? Lol.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
To be fair, whether Pete wrote the hook or not doesn't really matter. He's still owed performance royalties for that and the production of the record.

Now whether Nas owes him or not, we don't know. But he should get paid what he's owed.
Yeah, and maybe the younger members won't get it, but Pete Rock talking on the record was an official stamp for a song when Nas came out.
All but guaranteed that it would get spins on rap radio shows, and that fans would fukk with it.

Assumed that it allowed Pete Rock to get credit for producing AND performing/rapping on the song. Think it also distinguished his songs from biters who started jacking his production style.

Pete Rock was the star producer with the Midas touch in that era. That talking over the record, double dipping on song credits shyt is nothing but ultraperm, though.
He carried the baton from Teddy Riley(yup,yup), before he handed it to Puffy

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Yeah, and maybe the younger members won't get it, but Pete Rock talking on the record was an official stamp for a song when Nas came out.
All but guaranteed that it would get spins on rap radio shows, and that fans would fukk with it.

Assumed that it allowed Pete Rock to get credit for producing AND performing/rapping on the song. Think it also distinguished his songs from biters who started jacking his production style.

Pete Rock was the star producer with the Midas touch in that era. That talking over the record, double dipping on song credits shyt is nothing but ultraperm, though.
He carried the baton from Teddy Riley(yup,yup), before he handed it to Puffy
U saying he did that on purpose to double dip on the credits. But I think it was originally Wiz on that hook and he made Pete Rock do it instead.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Here's the thing, why would he initally go directly at Nas for royalties/points/publishing? Wouldn't you arrange for more points/publishing/royalties on the song itself, and not from what the artist sees off the song? You have production credit, and writer's credit already on the song. Why arrange a side deal with the artist, a young and new artists at that? That can be seen as trying to jerk the new artist.

And I thought Nas cashed out of his Illmatic catalog, with Sony/Columbia. So either way, he would have to take it up with them, because Nas would no longer see income from that.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
U saying he did that on purpose to double dip on the credits. But I think it was originally Wiz on that hook and he made Pete Rock do it instead.
Read it again, and listen to early to mid 90s Pete Rock remixes or produced songs.
You're viewing this strictly from the perspective of this thread, but I said that Pete was technically producer and performer on all the songs he spoke over.

If Nas asked Pete to do the voice over, its for the reasons I pointed out in previous post.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Read it again, and listen to early to mid 90s Pete Rock remixes or produced songs.
You're viewing this strictly from the perspective of this thread, but I said that Pete was technically producer and performer on all the songs he spoke over.

If Nas asked Pete to do the voice over, its for the reasons I pointed out in previous post.
Bro I forgot the question mark but I was asking u to qualify because I do remember everyone from the sessions saying it was Wiz originally over that hook.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Here's the thing, why would he initally go directly at Nas for royalties/points/publishing? Wouldn't you arrange for more points/publishing/royalties on the song itself, and not from what the artist sees off the song? You have production credit, and writer's credit already on the song. Why arrange a side deal with the artist, a young and new artists at that? That can be seen as trying to jerk the new artist.

And I thought Nas cashed out of his Illmatic catalog, with Sony/Columbia. So either way, he would have to take it up with them, because Nas would no longer see income from that.
This is what I’m saying. Why would he do a side contract with Nas in the first place. It’s weird. But we’ll see.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
CL Smooth told this guy what he needs to be doing...I'm sure Nas echoes those sentiments. :laugh:

Nas should just tap him out in court since he wants to be petty, drag it out and break him.