Pete Rock set to sue Nas over "World is Yours" royalties

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
He got 2 placements on Lost Tapes 2. 1 of em was a recent joint.
Fair enough, but a few songs over the course of 25+ years doesn't seem like much of a relationship to worry about burning or not. It's not as if Pete Rock is someone Nas is consistently calling to work with him.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Fair enough, but a few songs over the course of 25+ years doesn't seem like much of a relationship to worry about burning or not. It's not as if Pete Rock is someone Nas is consistently calling to work with him.
That’s facts. He just need to stop commenting on everything Nas do then. Lol.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Jinx filed a suit against Cube too. Kids that didn't understand the business and coming to a realization twenty years later.
But he got credit for song writing and production. Whatever he’s talking about is supposed to be some side shyt. Question is why would u try to railroad extra money out of an up and coming Nas with a side deal?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
"Burning bridges" seems like a deflection. As if Pete is some new producer who is going through the getting jerked phase of his career, and has to just wear that to get future work from those who are robbing him.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Question isn't why, but whether that written or verbal agreement took place.

Nas notoriously no shows on video shoots for features he appeared on/ artists he's affiliated with. Did it to Kay Slay and did it to Nature, and they've publicly said so. His no shows affected the promotion of those artist's singles.

Perhaps the side agreement with Pete Rock involved an agreement to help promote the song if released as a single. Pete's cosign meant a lot back then

At any rate, if the agreement happened, courts will determine what he is owed.

This absolutely makes no sense whatsoever. The World Is Yours is arguably the most “famous” song on Illmatic. Nas shot a video for the song. Not only that, he shot a video for the REMIX, which wasn’t included on the album. Its been used in movies, documentaries, tv shows, and Video Games. If Nas made a some secret side deal with Pete Rock to promote the song, then its been done 100 times over.

Also no one has been able to answer the question on why Pete Rock would want so desperately to work with Nas again if somehow Nas had been stiffing him for the last THIRTY YEARS. Pete Rock was giddy as a school girl on Twitter when Art Of It and QB Politics were included on Lost Tapes 2.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Nas Stan’s are just different. I wake up everyday thanking the lord they are only contain to small segment of the internet/hiphop:mjlol:

The shyt not rocket science.

in 1994 I’m pete Rock and u up and coming rapper. To get my beat I want a piece of your pub that is independent of what the label pays me.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Nas Stan’s are just different. I wake up everyday thanking the lord they are only contain to small segment of the internet/hiphop:mjlol:

in 1994 I’m pete Rock and u up and coming rapper. To get my beat I want a piece of your pub that is independent of what the label pays me.

dude, you're in every Nas thread yapping...You just might be a Nas stan:mjlol:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Now you’re trolling and I legit don’t understand why. I get that not everyone understands industry business but this is stupid. Pete did the beat and has a songwriting credit. Of course he has some publishing, meaning he gets a percentage of the song’s royalties split with Nas and the sample artist. In what world does the major label (Sony) artist pay out publishing royalties to his producer? It makes no sense.

It’s not about defending Nas. I’m genuinely confused by Pete’s behavior here and think we need more info, because what he’s saying will be laughed out court IF he’s suing Nas. If he’s suing Sony then sure that’s another issue.