Pete Rock set to sue Nas over "World is Yours" royalties

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
I never heard of statute of limitations for recordings

He has songwriting credit and producing credit so he entitled to royalties from the record label and should be getting checks from ASCAP or BMI or whoever he with. If they been withholding or shorting him they probably owe back money.

If he had a side contract directly with Nas that he was owed some extra percentage of Nas royalties on the song that is not standard, and he known about it since 1994 as he claims, the courts gonna toss that. You can't wait 28 years to try to enforce a contract you knew about all along even if it was originally valid

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Nothing's going to happen to him.
I dunno breh, this thread made it clear the wolves are out :whoa:

giphy.webp

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Burning bridges to a major artist over a record that took decades to go gold, Pete loves hustling backwards... old miserable ass
LOL what? For starters, Nas hasn't called Pete Rock to do a beat in years, what bridges is he burning? And because he wants to get paid for something he's owed, that makes him miserable? I'm so confused by the hate Pete Rock is getting for wanting money for a royalties he's owed.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I don’t think anyone here said Pete shouldn’t be paid if he’s owed money. It’s moreso him going at Nas rather than Sony. And it seems strange Nas would have his own personal contract with him and not the other producers. Whatever he’s owed he needs to be paid. The lawsuit sounds funny tho.
A lot of people are getting paid at Pete Rock for wanting money owed to him in this thread bro. A lot. They're calling him all kind of names.

And Pete Rock been saying a lot of shyt I disagree with over the last decade, and I don't even know if what he's saying is true, but nikkas are on full attack for him wanting money owed. It's weird.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I'm a really need y'all to read articles man lol.
Lemme ask u a question bro. So Pete Rock got writing and publishing credits. Why would he do a side contract with up and coming Nas outside of that? Cause Nas directly owing him money would be based purely on that. But why would he do that to Nas?

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
LOL what? For starters, Nas hasn't called Pete Rock to do a beat in years, what bridges is he burning? And because he wants to get paid for something he's owed, that makes him miserable? I'm so confused by the hate Pete Rock is getting for wanting money for a royalties he's owed.
He got 2 placements on Lost Tapes 2. 1 of em was a recent joint.

Surreal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Burning bridges to a major artist over a record that took decades to go gold, Pete loves hustling backwards... old miserable ass

He burnt his bridge to major artist a long time ago. He has nothing to lose but his dignity and honor but he doesn't have that either. I hope 9th Wonder is watching. He's going down the same rabbit hole

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Lemme ask u a question bro. So Pete Rock got writing and publishing credits. Why would he do a side contract with up and coming Nas outside of that? Cause Nas directly owing him money would be based purely on that. But why would he do that to Nas?

Question isn't why, but whether that written or verbal agreement took place.

Nas notoriously no shows on video shoots for features he appeared on/ artists he's affiliated with. Did it to Kay Slay and did it to Nature, and they've publicly said so. His no shows affected the promotion of those artist's singles.

Perhaps the side agreement with Pete Rock involved an agreement to help promote the song if released as a single. Pete's cosign meant a lot back then

At any rate, if the agreement happened, courts will determine what he is owed.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I have no idea. I don't know what was going on with their business during that time that made him sign an exclusive agreement. Maybe because of the vocals? No clue. But the thing is, all of this will be straightened out in court, so we don't have to speculate on what happened. Why it happened doesn't really matter. We'll find out soon enough.