FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Pete Rock to sue Nas over unpaid 'Illmatic' royalties

Groundbreaking hip-hop producer Pete Rock says that Nas hasn’t paid him a cent in royalties for his work on the rapper’s era-defining double-platinum album “Illmatic” — and he’s finally gearing up to sue, Page Six is told.

Rock and his attorneys claim that the Queens rapper — né Nasir Jones — signed a contract that would allow the producer a cut of the proceeds from the classic track “The World Is Yours,” a total that’s now in the millions of dollars.

And we’re told that lawyers for Rock — who has produced classics for A Tribe Called Quest and Gang Starr, among many others — have repeatedly demanded that Nas honor the alleged deal, to no avail.

Rock has a writing credit on the tune — the only single on the 1994 LP to have gone gold — produced it and even provided vocals.

Now we’re told Rock’s legal team is preparing to file a lawsuit in January, we’re told.

Rock told Page Six, “Nas and his people have stonewalled me since 1994; My New Year’s resolution is to be compensated for my hard work on ‘Illmatic.'”

The track is the song most sampled by hip-hop artists from Nas’ catalog, according to insiders. It has been sampled by Jay-Z, Eminem, Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, and the late Mac Miller.

The song was also used in the film “Antwoine Fisher,” directed by and starring Denzel Washington.

Apparently, Nas has a better relationship with other blue-chip producers who worked on the album. DJ Premier, who also produced tracks on “Illmatic,” guested on his track “Wave Gods” — which also features A$AP Rocky — from the surprise-dropped-on-Christmas album “Magic.”

Reps for Nas didn’t get back to us.

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
Nas doesn't own Illmatic so...why would Nas owe Pete Rock? It should be Sony/Columbia since they actually pay royalties. This is madness...
I think what he is saying is that he and Nas signed an agreement between just those 2 and Nas hasn't made due

We love you Pete but don't make Hitboy do Ether part 2 :ufdup:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I think what he is saying is that he and Nas signed an agreement between just those 2 and Nas hasn't made due

We love you Pete but don't make Hitboy do Ether part 2 :ufdup:
But how does a personal contract matter for royalties which are paid by the label. Pete got a songwriter credit, he should be good.

I wonder what the sample clearance percentage was. His songwriting credit might not matter much if over 50% went to Ahmad Jamal (sample artist).

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
But how does a personal contract matter for royalties which are paid by the label. Pete got a songwriter credit, he should be good.

I wonder what the sample clearance percentage was. His songwriting credit might not matter much if over 50% went to Ahmad Jamal (sample artist).
I'm thinking the agreement was like ...

"You son, hit me with some royalties off the hook"

"I got you god, word is bond"

Idk, otherwise you right... its just... The royalty and contract shyt, music business don't play about that, my sister gets her 8 dollar checks every 4 quarters, an official contract gets you paid regardless

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is why I think sampling is important to Hip-Hop but limiting in that it means you can eat way better.
Pete Rock is legendary but in 2022 his skills and stature should be advanced to the point that sampling
is a choice, not his main mode of production.

It hampers your money something serious.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
How much do they owe T-La Rock?

Definitely his voice sampled in the hook.

Screen-Shot-2017-10-19-at-6.03.06-PM-e1508461447771.jpg

#Bronx keeps creating it