Pete Rock is asked if he would work with CL Smooth again …. The answer is what you think it is #makemybeatsfagg*t part 3 😂

dom_p08

Rookie
Daps
Exactly.

To put it into perspective, Pete Rock is considered one of the best producers of all time. CL Smooth isn't considered one of the best rappers of all time.

Fred.
Because of the albums he did with CL Smooth not really anything else besides TWIY beat which is Nas lyrically blackin out, this isn't a Eric Sermon type situation where he produced multiple successful acts after the breakup, but I don't want no new album with Pete Rock (beats is too soft and edgeless) I want CL on newer style production with a harder feel, CL flow is ill and judging from the reception of Pete's post breakup work their success was 50/50 cause he hasn't come close to recreating the magic of those first two albums with any other rapper since.

The Message

Lex with tv sets the minimum
Daps
From what CL and Dante Ross were saying, and other stories, it sounds like Elektra wanted Pete to branch out more and build his own brand up. Which is why they gave him his own side label back then, when he was doing the INI and Deda stuff. CL said he had an issue with that because while Pete's off doing that, what was he supposed to do if the group is on pause.

It sounds like CL wanted Pete to back him more and not take the side gigs and be more invested in the group, but Pete was looking to get more bread elsewhere.
that's interesting because look at all the groups that had one producer...

tribe, gangstarr, slum village, little brother, de la....

all of them, tip, dilla, primo, 9th, prince paul...all did side projects and got major work...i know that shyt causes resentment. how can it NOT when the producer outshines the group?

and it's no stretch of the imagination that all of the groups disbanded or the producer left for good.

guru had jazzmatazz but it never shined brighter than gangstarr

dom_p08

Rookie
Daps
that's interesting because look at all the groups that had one producer...

tribe, gangstarr, slum village, little brother, de la....

all of them, tip, dilla, primo, 9th, prince paul...all did side projects and got major work...i know that shyt causes resentment. how can it NOT when the producer outshines the group?

and it's no stretch of the imagination that all of the groups disbanded or the producer left for good.

guru had jazzmatazz but it never shined brighter than gangstarr
Thats the thing tho, Pete never outshined the group, he's never reached the critical acclaim and success of those first two albums, Common is a great rapper but he aint CL, Its fukked up especially now when you ain't gotta be in the studio together to make a album that Pete can't give the people what they want. :snoop:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Because of the albums he did with CL Smooth not really anything else besides TWIY beat which is Nas lyrically blackin out, this isn't a Eric Sermon type situation where he produced multiple successful acts after the breakup, but I don't want no new album with Pete Rock (beats is too soft and edgeless) I want CL on newer style production with a harder feel, CL flow is ill and judging from the reception of Pete's post breakup work their success was 50/50 cause he hasn't come close to recreating the magic of those first two albums with any other rapper since.

"Soul Survivor" > everything CL has done since they broke up.

Pete Rock was doing remixes for damn near everyone in rap in the 90's....what are you talking about? :mjlol:

Not to mention in the 00's he was producing for everyone from Ghost to Keisha Cole.

More recently he worked with Griselda and Flee Lord.

I suggest you revisit his discography because he's been active almost every year since they broke up:

Fred.

The Message

Lex with tv sets the minimum
Daps
Thats the thing tho, Pete never outshined the group, he's never reached the critical acclaim and success of those first two albums, Common is a great rapper but he aint CL, Its fukked up especially now when you ain't gotta be in the studio together to make a album that Pete can't give the people what they want. :snoop:
naaaaahhh

pete‘s talent shined way brighter than cl. not just then…but even up through today.

and cl over com??? bruh :hhh:

dom_p08

Rookie
Daps

Pete Rock was doing remixes for damn near everyone in rap in the 90's....what are you talking about? :mjlol:

Not to mention in the 00's he was producing for everyone from Ghost to Keisha Cole.

I suggest you revisit his discography because he's been active almost every year since they broke up:

Fred.
CL Smooth has two damn near universally agreed classic ALBUMS as the main vocalist w/ Pete Rock, Pete Rock has no classic albums without CL Smooth, good remixes/placement tracks no classic albums, nice lil instrumental albums but no classics. No timeless songs like TROY etc. , I'm not saying Pete is wack but the fact remains he never reached the high's of his group to justify not continuing, and CL hasn't really rapped a whole lot since.

dom_p08

Rookie
Daps
naaaaahhh

pete‘s talent shined way brighter than cl. not just then…but even up through today.

and cl over com??? bruh :hhh:
Nothing to match the success and acclaim of the first two albums, and Pete is a producer not a rapper so a rapper, whoever it is, is 50% of the success or shine, like I said earlier CL ain't been active really recently, but the lyrics on those first two albums were top notch they shined equally imo. Common doesn't have two albums as the main vocalist that are better than Mecca and Main Ingredient, I judge rappers on they ALBUMS, I fux wit Com but he ain't got those type of classic albums

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Good thing he has a backbone, that quote is hilarious but CL shouldn't expect dude to ever speak to him again.

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps

Fred.

This joint one of the better songs on the album tho. I think they coulda had their own “moment of truth” if they stayed together easily. I never liked guru that much outside gangstatr, on gangstarr hes own of my fav rappers even more than other guys who may be better. He just fits with preme the best. Same with cl/pete to me. Undeniable chemistry.

Good joint just cl

Last edited: