Pete Rock is asked if he would work with CL Smooth again …. The answer is what you think it is #makemybeatsfagg*t part 3 😂

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
damn, it's gotta be something serious. Some of the major beefs we have seen seem to be over some chick or money. .

From what CL and Dante Ross were saying, and other stories, it sounds like Elektra wanted Pete to branch out more and build his own brand up. Which is why they gave him his own side label back then, when he was doing the INI and Deda stuff. CL said he had an issue with that because while Pete's off doing that, what was he supposed to do if the group is on pause.

It sounds like CL wanted Pete to back him more and not take the side gigs and be more invested in the group, but Pete was looking to get more bread elsewhere.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Pete has the Common sh*t going on now, so he's acting brand new.

Couple years ago, he said he would "love" to work with CL again if he could "get his mind right". So this goes to show, people in music only f*ck with you, if they think it would help them. He feels like he doesn't need it anymore, so he'll go with what's working. CL knows Pete is still mad at him. That's why he said the sh*t he did. And knowing Pete, he's gonna hold that grudge forever, which is what CL said they should both push to the side, for the sake of their fans.

To be real, I don’t even want a reunion anymore. If dudes can't just get in the studio to create without acting like emotional b*tches, then it's not worth it. That kinda sh*t would f*ck the music up. We're good with the projects they dropped back in the day.
Exactly. Pete is a hoe ass nikka.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
From what CL and Dante Ross were saying, and other stories, it sounds like Elektra wanted Pete to branch out more and build his own brand up. Which is why they gave him his own side label back then, when he was doing the INI and Deda stuff. CL said he had an issue with that because while Pete's off doing that, what was he supposed to do if the group is on pause.

It sounds like CL wanted Pete to back him more and not take the side gigs and be more invested in the group, but Pete was looking to get more bread elsewhere.
Peter Rock is an opportunistic dikkhead. One of the GOAT producers tho.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Pete has clown tendencies but the fact of the matter is CL Smooth said "Pete Rock needs me!" in the same interview....and Pete Rock clearly doesn't need him.

It was evident when they first broke up. Pete Rock was getting placements and CL Smooth more or less fell off the map by the early 00's.

Fred.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Pete has clown tendencies but the fact of the matter is CL Smooth said "Pete Rock needs me!" in the same interview....and Pete Rock clearly doesn't need him.

It was evident when they first broke up. Pete Rock was getting placements and CL Smooth more or less fell off the map by the early 00's.

Fred.

The producer is always in a better position, than the rapper. Especially when you're on Pete's level back then. Which is what Elektra was apparently telling Pete.

Back in the 90's, right after the breakup, I felt like Pete needed CL too, but then I saw that labels were still gonna give Pete solo deals and rappers would still hit him for beats. It's an ego thing with the both of them, but it's wack that they couldn't get their sh*t together.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The producer is always in a better position, than the rapper. Especially when you're on Pete's level back then. Which is what Elektra was apparently telling Pete.

Back in the 90's, right after the breakup, I felt like Pete needed CL too, but then I saw that labels were still gonna give Pete solo deals and rappers would still hit him for beats. It's an ego thing with the both of them, but it's wack that they couldn't get their sh*t together.

Exactly.

To put it into perspective, Pete Rock is considered one of the best producers of all time. CL Smooth isn't considered one of the best rappers of all time.

Fred.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
damn, it's gotta be something serious. Some of the major beefs we have seen seem to be over some chick or money. .

There were all types of rumors from street shyt to snitching, jake getting involved, etc… no matter what they say it almost certainly had nothing to do with music as CL tried to chalk it up to. You have to realize these guys have know each other from teens and they have soooooo many mutual friends and associates in Mt Vernon