Personally, what do you think of Affirmative Action?

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So what's the solution, and why do we always ignore the reason why Affirmative action was implemented in the first place.

I would really love to know how many White people(if any at all), have ever been affected by it.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'm kind of undecided.

On one hand, I can see why it exists, and lets face it, white privilege is real and blacks (and many other minorities) still overall do much worse in the job market than whites, so I can understand why someone would be for it.

But on the other hand, I can also understand why people would be against it, companies obviously don't want to choose poor candidates because of their background. More importantly it often causes minorities to be resented in the workplace. You can be perfectly qualified and people will still often assume you only got in because of affirmative action.

So I really don't know. :manny:

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
So what's the solution
the solution has always been the same 1) reproducing black Wall Street in black communities and changing black culture to be more academically focused

The problem with aa is that it leads people to believe you can have economic prosperity without those things

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
I'm kind of undecided.

On one hand, I can see why it exists, and lets face it, white privilege is real and blacks (and many other minorities) still overall do much worse in the job market than whites, so I can understand why someone would be for it.

But on the other hand, I can also understand why people would be against it, companies obviously don't want to choose poor candidates because of their background. More importantly it often causes minorities to be resented in the workplace. You can be perfectly qualified and people will still often assume you only got in because of affirmative action.

So I really don't know. :manny:

more or less this.
There really is no "happy" place for AA. It is an ugly yet necessary thing.

It is a bandaid though and doesn't really address the underlying causes of the discrepancies in success that plague minorities.

If i had to choose life with or life without i'd choose with, even with all its imperfections.

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
:what: how so?

Aa doesn't force employers tomhire underqualified people. It forces them to have a diverse set of QUALIFIED employees.

That's how everyone would like it to be but really it just sets different standards for what constitutes a qualified person for different races

i.e. if you're black/hispanic/whatever you can be less qualified and still be qualified

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
That's how everyone would like it to be but really it just sets different standards for what constitutes a qualified person for different races

i.e. if you're black/hispanic/whatever you can be less qualified and still be qualified
How so?

Again the law doesn't force people to hire underqualified people.

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
How so?

Again the law doesn't force people to hire underqualified people.

Yes but that's because the qualification bar is lowered for so-called affirmative action hires

in practice people aren't hiring more minorities just by hiring more completely/exceedingly qualified candidates, they're reaching deeper into the pool to pick up people who are less qualified than the standard for non-affirmative action candidates

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yes but that's because the qualification bar is lowered for so-called affirmative action hires

in practice people aren't hiring more minorities just by hiring more completely/exceedingly qualified candidates, they're reaching deeper into the pool to pick up people who are less qualified than the standard for non-affirmative action candidates

How is the bar lowered? Do you have any proof that this is happening?

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
How is the bar lowered? Do you have any proof that this is happening?

How is it lowered? It just is
Idk how it is

For some proof you could look at something like law school admissions which is largely driven by two numbers (college GPA and LSAT score)

the standard for someone who qualifies for affirmative action to be admitted is lower, which is why you see lower average GPAs and LSAT scores amongst current law students who benefitted from affirmative action

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Idk how it is

For some proof you could look at something like law school admissions which is largely driven by two numbers (college GPA and LSAT score)

the standard for someone who qualifies for affirmative action to be admitted is lower, which is why you see lower average GPAs and LSAT scores amongst current law students who benefitted from affirmative action

Actually the LSAT is the only standardized exam that is shown that whenever you control for all factors even socioeconomic status, African-Americans prefer worse. Thus, there is a built in bump in that regard, but they still go after AAs with high GPAs.

So you're wrong here. No pushes unqualified people of color to the top. Employers do not care, I can tell you that as someone who interviewed with top law firms. Do not get confused.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Idk how it is

:usure: link?

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
:what: how so?

Aa doesn't force employers tomhire underqualified people. It forces them to have a diverse set of QUALIFIED employees.

What do you mean? What I said the problem with aa is that people start thinking it is important or key to black prosperity, if you think that aa is key to black prosperity than you are an example of what I'm saying, people are fighting for things that are not worth fighting for

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis

Aa in academics and in employment work differently, I think it's on open question wether standards are lowered for aa hires, because there is a lot of subjectivity in the hiring process

But in academics it's very clear that aa represents lowering standards, because in academics admittance is way more objective because you have grades and test scores, so in academics aa is basically a program that allows minority students with lower grades and lower scores into the school

For links google university of California or university of Michigan, 2 schools that got rid of aa