Personally, what do you think of Affirmative Action?

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
In Arizona how would you feel if your only chance of getting a job was through someone of the same ethnic background as yourself?

:cook:

in arizona i don't normally put my ethnicity for fear of the opposite...it's arizona afterall :krs:

I don't mind getting a job over someone on color if i'm qualified for it. If i'm not though then :wtf:

that's all i'm saying.

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
like most of you have said....

its good in theory, poor in practice. Similar to pretty much everything in this country.

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
In theory I can't fokk with it

I guess it's not that bad though

But I'm not sure that it really helps because not many people take advantage of it and it devalues achievements ("he only got that admit/job offer cuz he's black/hispanic/etc.")

Young_and_Reckless

Is better than you...
Daps
Reppin
Syrup City, Texas
Just curious, does the department of labor actually enforce this ? And how so? Do they go to each small business and require companies to list out applicants of 'color', etc.? I can probably see them doing this to large corporations, but not small businesses, which employ the vast majority.

Not trolling btw.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
im for it cause it means more than white men will be hired. it's not perfect but it's better than nothing. wish it would do more to help more blacks but :manny: what can you do

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
Just curious, does the department of labor actually enforce this ? And how so? Do they go to each small business and require companies to list out applicants of 'color', etc.? I can probably see them doing this to large corporations, but not small businesses, which employ the vast majority.

Not trolling btw.

U.S. Department of Labor - Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) - Executive Order 11246
Each Government contractor with 50 or more employees and $50,000 or more in government contracts is required to develop a written affirmative action program (AAP) for each of its establishments.
A written affirmative action program helps the contractor identify and analyze potential problems in the participation and utilization of women and minorities in the contractor's workforce.
If there are problems, the contractor will specify in its AAP the specific procedures it will follow and the good faith efforts it will make to provide equal employment opportunity.
Expanded efforts in outreach, recruitment, training and other areas are some of the affirmative steps contractors can take to help members of the protected groups compete for jobs on equal footing with other applicants and employees.
ENFORCEMENT AND COMPLIANCE
Compliance Reviews
OFCCP conducts compliance reviews to investigate the employment practices of Government contractors. During a compliance review, a compliance officer examines the contractor's affirmative action program; checks personnel, payroll, and other employment records; interviews employees and company officials; and investigates virtually all aspects of employment in the company.
The investigator also checks to see whether the contractor is making special efforts to achieve equal opportunity through affirmative action. If problems are discovered, OFCCP will recommend corrective action and suggest ways to achieve equal employment opportunity.

so super small business no and only government contractors. If you want to do business with the government AA is a must.

FYI the government pays contractors well.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

TYBG

Ditty Dum Ditty Doo
Supporter
Daps
If they're qualified, there's no problem. I'm all for it.

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
I tried to explain this to a homie and dude just didn't get it lol.

doesn't that just mean that black men and women aren't close enough to meeting qualifications to even benefit from an AA boost (meaning the boost given by AA doesn't get them past the tipping point)

I don't know why anyone would take pride in that statement, assuming it is true

Daps
Reppin
thetown to global
doesn't that just mean that black men and women aren't close enough to meeting qualifications to even benefit from an AA boost (meaning the boost given by AA doesn't get them past the tipping point)

I don't know why anyone would take pride in that statement, assuming it is true

Nah I was just pointing it out to him cuz dude was all "it's our fault we ain't shyt, we need to stop looking for shortcuts and handouts like affirmative action, etc" ...

You'll be surprised how many people believe affirmative action is just "for the blacks".

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
I think it's hard to justify but i'm not necessarily against it. e.g. I wouldn't create such a system but if such a system exists I wouldn't remove it, I'd work with it