Persona 5 Tactica (PC, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch, PS5, PS4) (November 17, 2023)

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Makes you feel like you’re playing the video game equivalent of filler. The characters can’t grow or progress in any meaningful way and because it was invented out of thin air between points of Royal nothing introduced here can have any real impact.
I don't disagree with any of this; I'm just saying I get that Atlus made this decision as a way to "have their cake and eat it too."

If it was up to me we'd already be on Persona 6 or 7 by now. :francis:

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Love the art style, enjoying the story, like the new characters, combat feels nice and challenging. Etc.

So far im enjoying it more than Strikers. After Midnight Suns i don’t trust the gaming media to correctly assess tactic games
I fukks with Strikers but this has the potential to be more creative, gameplay wise.

That dlc pricing is scummy, even by Atlus standards, though :gucci:

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Might pick this up after i finish Mario RPG. Seems like the perfect game to play on my ROG Ally

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Played the first few hours of the game last night, right up the point where Joker, Morgana and Erina save Ann and Futaba from Marie's control. This early on, I have a lot of thoughts about the story that will hopefully become more clear as it goes on:
It's getting harder and harder to argue that Royal is the 'canon version' of P5 since neither of the two games that follow it directly mention it. The beginning of the game has the Phantom Thieves have the conversation about them all going their separate ways after the school year is over, which was a central theme of Royal and Stikers, but there's no references to Kasumi/Sumire or Maruki.

Given that Lavenza is operating the Velvet Room and Morgana knows who she is, this game would theoretically take place between the Yaldabaoth fight and the third semester of Royal. In that case, it makes sense that Kasumi isn't directly mentioned because she hadn't formally joined the Phantom Thieves or learned her true identity until the beginning of the third semester, and Morgana specifically asked her to stay out of the Yaldabaoth fight.

Still kinda lame as I'd prefer a direct reference to Royal, but I get that some people only played the original P5.

The gameplay is pretty cool. I like the way the All Out Attacks work with this tactical mechanic, and I also dig how you can move players around the battlefield without having them attack. Outside of Erina's charge attack tho, I don't really understand what triggers a "1 more" other than pure RNG since you're not directly attacking weaknesses (at least not at this point in the game).

Also really smart that SP replenishes after each battle since there's no dungeon crawling or leaving the Metaverse like ther was in the other games (again, at least not yet). Also, depending on how you do your skill tree you might blow through your whole SP in one move this early in the game.

I hope there are a bit more optional side battles as the story progresses. Strikers had a combination of letting you replay the boss fights and optional side missions (as well as fighting the Dire Shadows again if you were on Merciless), so hopefully Tactica adds that as the story progresses. At this point you can replay all the previous battles, but that'll get old pretty quick.

I probably won't have time to get back to this game until Thanksgiving weekend.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is ok. I doubt I’d actually buy it but I’ll continue to play it on Game Pass.

Edit: won’t be buying the Royal character DLC. They aren’t usable in the main game until new game+ and they have no interactions with anyone in the main game anyway.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Finished the first Kingdom yesterday, I'm all in they did it again :wow:

Yeah, im in the second kingdom now. Still having a lot of fun, but like a lot of these tactics games i feel like sometimes the dialogue/cutscenes go on far too long. Just like triangle strategy and digimon it feels like its 65% visual novel and 35% gameplay