Per Capita, Jamaica Has Got to Be in The Top 5 As Most Influential Country

Daps
I mean you can say that rapping goes back to the south or Jamaica or africa. But really the first people to rhyme over breaks with a dope rhythm is New York. Same with DJing. Herc invented constant looping on breaks in new York. He didn't invent it in jamaica because no one did it in Jamaica . Hip hop started in the Bronx.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Jamaica has influenced hip-hop through toasting/sound systems/sound clashes.

what Jamaicans call toasting itself, came from America

So to act like Kool Herc or Jamaica didn't have any influence on it is a farce.

Herc is jamaican but he himself admits there was nothing identifiably jamaican about what he was doing.

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
Jamaica is def > portugal and spain is debatable since Latin American culture is a mix of Spanish /African/indigenous not just Spanish
and what countries influenced by jamaica just have jamaican culture :confused:? almost every place has a mix of cultures. these colonizers have been spreading their influence for centuries & their influence isn't going anywhere.

jamaica is definitely influential, and i'd definitely consider it top 5 for most influential countries in the Americas.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Do you know about mento and nyabingi music? Because the American influence on Jamaican music the constant influence point is a stretch(specifically Jamaica).

A stretch? It's actually well documented and acknowledged by the jamaican OG musicians. The jamaican music w/o afram influences would be their folkier roots like mento and nyabingi music. Jamaican pop music didn't really start until they started absorbing from American music

That's a hyped point made any time this comes up. If you say ska music for instance that's probably the only Jamaican music that has a heavy African American influence.

:stopitslime:Musically the American influence runs through everything from Ska to Dancehall

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Maybe musically over China but, not over Spain

Spain doesn't have that big of an impact on global music in the modern sense. Everything "Spanish" being spread around the globe musically is from Latin America not Spain.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
One of the first rappers at the beginning of the hip hop period, at the end of the 1970s, was also hip hop's first DJ, DJ Kool Herc. Herc, a Jamaican immigrant, started delivering simple raps at his parties, which some claim were inspired by the Jamaican tradition of toasting.[41] However, Kool Herc himself denies this link (in the 1984 book Hip Hop), saying, "Jamaican toasting? Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn't play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn't accept it. The inspiration for rap is James Brown and the album Hustler's Convention.".[42] Herc also suggests he was too young while in Jamaica to get into sound system parties: "I couldn’t get in. Couldn’t get in. I was ten, eleven years old,"[43] and that while in Jamaica, he was listening to James Brown: "I was listening to American music in Jamaica and my favorite artist was James Brown. That's who inspired me. A lot of the records I played were by James Brown."[41]

However, in terms of what we identify today as "rap" the source actually came from Manhattan. Pete DJ Jones said the first person he heard rap in “Hip Hop style” was DJ Hollywood a Harlem (not Bronx) native[44] who was the house DJ at the Apollo theater. Kurtis Blow also says the first person he heard rhyme in Hip Hop style was DJ Hollywood.[45] Hollywood stated that he like the way Frankie Crocker would ride a track, but he wasn’t syncopated to the track though. I liked [WWRL DJ] Hank Spann too, but he wasn’t on the one. Guys back then weren’t concerned with being musical. I wanted to flow with the record.” And in 1975, he ushered in what became known as the Hip Hop style by rhyming syncopated to the beat of an existing record uninterruptedly for nearly a minute.

interview with Caz confirming everything above..

1. There were no rappers in the modern sense in the Kool Herc scene in the early days of HipHop

2. Coke La Rock was the one talking on the mic not Herc and neither of them rapped in the modern sense. He did shout outs/freelance talking

3. Dj Hollywood was the only one rapping in the modern sense back then

@ 3:19

@ 4:43

"Dj Hollywood was thee blueprint for the syncopated style"

:sas2:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The music being played has nothing to do with it. And that's a exaggerated the music played was primarily ska and then rhythm and blues. So that's a stretch.

Rhythm and blues is much older than Ska by like 15-20 years. R&B coming first is what paved the way for Ska.

Colicat

Docile & dominant @ the same damn time
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Adjacent to the King
Yes I am. A lot of p*ssyhole gyal dem nah like Yard man :pacspit:

but you're different. :pachaha:

:comeon:

@Poitier is right about the music thing though reggae has its roots in rnb/soul/country.

My father was born in the 50's his favourite artiste is al green

A stretch? It's actually well documented and acknowledged by the jamaican OG musicians. The jamaican music w/o afram influenced would be their folkier roots like mento and nyabingi music. Jamaican pop music didn't really start until they started absorbing from American music

:stopitslime:Musically the American influence runs through everything from Ska to Dancehall[/QUOTE]

True Beres was heavily influenced by U.S. Soul singers but this thread is about Jamaican excellence

We need to fall back and enjoy :dame:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Kool Herc is Jamaican :skip:

There are a lot of Jamaicans in NYC :skip:

DJing + MCing in the way of early hip hop was in Jamaica before hip hop was even a thing :skip:

What year were u born, 1996? :skip:
completely wrong
Hip hop on a club slash DJ level stems from nyc disco culture. To include the big sound system dynamic
Mcing was known as jive talking in America, And was here since the 1930s
do better breh

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Agree, for such a small island we have such an influence

Eternal Father bless our land
Guard us with Thy mighty hand
Keep us free from evil powers
Be our light through countless hours
To our leaders, Great Defender,
Grant true wisdom from above
Justice, truth be ours forever
Jamaica, land we love
Jamaica, Jamaica, Jamaica, land we love.
Teach us true respect for all
Stir response to duty's call
Strengthen us the weak to cherish
Give us vision lest we perish
Knowledge send us, Heavenly Father,
Grant true wisdom from above
Justice, truth be ours forever
Jamaica, land we love
Jamaica, Jamaica, Jamaica, land we love.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Jamaica my primary domain , Uptown BX is secondary even tho I was born in the BX I moved to Jamaica literally right after .. lived in Jamaica for the first four years of my life moved back to the BX but I've been to Jamaica every summer (except this year :mjcry:) that country just exudes innovation on the culture tip , I hope eventually we overcome the economic corruption we've been facing for the past couple decades but on the bright side its gradually improving .

BIG UP TOWER HILL :salute:
I didnt know you were Jamaican :leon:

I hears theres mad Jamaicans in the north Bronx tho

Im not to familiar with that part of the city

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Lets dead the argument. Hip hop wasnt created in Jamaica it just has a heavy Jamaican influence and reggae and dancehall also have American influence. Boom shout out IllmaticDelta