Per Capita, Jamaica Has Got to Be in The Top 5 As Most Influential Country

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Jamaica has influenced hip-hop through toasting/sound systems/sound clashes. So to act like Kool Herc or Jamaica didn't have any influence on it is a farce

One of the first rappers at the beginning of the hip hop period, at the end of the 1970s, was also hip hop's first DJ, DJ Kool Herc. Herc, a Jamaican immigrant, started delivering simple raps at his parties, which some claim were inspired by the Jamaican tradition of toasting.[41] However, Kool Herc himself denies this link (in the 1984 book Hip Hop), saying, "Jamaican toasting? Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn't play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn't accept it. The inspiration for rap is James Brown and the album Hustler's Convention.".[42] Herc also suggests he was too young while in Jamaica to get into sound system parties: "I couldn’t get in. Couldn’t get in. I was ten, eleven years old,"[43] and that while in Jamaica, he was listening to James Brown: "I was listening to American music in Jamaica and my favorite artist was James Brown. That's who inspired me. A lot of the records I played were by James Brown."[41]

However, in terms of what we identify today as "rap" the source actually came from Manhattan. Pete DJ Jones said the first person he heard rap in “Hip Hop style” was DJ Hollywood a Harlem (not Bronx) native[44] who was the house DJ at the Apollo theater. Kurtis Blow also says the first person he heard rhyme in Hip Hop style was DJ Hollywood.[45] Hollywood stated that he like the way Frankie Crocker would ride a track, but he wasn’t syncopated to the track though. I liked [WWRL DJ] Hank Spann too, but he wasn’t on the one. Guys back then weren’t concerned with being musical. I wanted to flow with the record.” And in 1975, he ushered in what became known as the Hip Hop style by rhyming syncopated to the beat of an existing record uninterruptedly for nearly a minute.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

Art forms such as spoken word jazz poetry and comedy records had an influence on the first rappers.[29] Coke La Rock, often credited as hip-hop's first MC[30] cites theLast Poets among his influences, as well as comedians such as The Wild Man Steve and Richard Pryor.[29] Comedian Rudy Ray Moore released under the counter albums in the 1960s and 1970s such as This p*ssy Belongs To Me (1970), which contained "raunchy, sexually explicit rhymes that often had to do with pimps, prostitutes, players, and hustlers",[31] and which later led to him being called "The Godfather of Rap".[32]

Gil Scott-Heron, a jazz poet/musician, has been cited as an influence on rappers such as Chuck D and KRS-One.[33] Scott-Heron himself was influenced by Melvin Van Peebles,[34][35] whose first album was 1968's Brer Soul. Van Peebles describes his vocal style as "the old Southern style", which was influenced by singers he had heard growing up in South Chicago.[36] Van Peebles also said that he was influenced by older forms of African-American music: "[...] people like Blind Lemon Jefferson and the field hollers. I was also influenced by spoken word song styles from Germany that I encountered when I lived in France."[37]

During the mid-20th century, the musical culture of the Caribbean was constantly influenced by the concurrent changes in American music. As early as 1956,[38] deejayswere toasting (an African tradition of "rapped out" tales of heroism) over dubbed Jamaican beats. It was called "rap", expanding the word's earlier meaning in the African-American community—"to discuss or debate informally."[39]

yardman

Mad movements!
Daps
Reppin
Whitehall
One of the first rappers at the beginning of the hip hop period, at the end of the 1970s, was also hip hop's first DJ, DJ Kool Herc. Herc, a Jamaican immigrant, started delivering simple raps at his parties, which some claim were inspired by the Jamaican tradition of toasting.[41] However, Kool Herc himself denies this link (in the 1984 book Hip Hop), saying, "Jamaican toasting? Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn't play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn't accept it. The inspiration for rap is James Brown and the album Hustler's Convention.".[42] Herc also suggests he was too young while in Jamaica to get into sound system parties: "I couldn’t get in. Couldn’t get in. I was ten, eleven years old,"[43] and that while in Jamaica, he was listening to James Brown: "I was listening to American music in Jamaica and my favorite artist was James Brown. That's who inspired me. A lot of the records I played were by James Brown."[41]

However, in terms of what we identify today as "rap" the source actually came from Manhattan. Pete DJ Jones said the first person he heard rap in “Hip Hop style” was DJ Hollywood a Harlem (not Bronx) native[44] who was the house DJ at the Apollo theater. Kurtis Blow also says the first person he heard rhyme in Hip Hop style was DJ Hollywood.[45] Hollywood stated that he like the way Frankie Crocker would ride a track, but he wasn’t syncopated to the track though. I liked [WWRL DJ] Hank Spann too, but he wasn’t on the one. Guys back then weren’t concerned with being musical. I wanted to flow with the record.” And in 1975, he ushered in what became known as the Hip Hop style by rhyming syncopated to the beat of an existing record uninterruptedly for nearly a minute.

Ok, you got me on the toasting. Now tackle my sound clashes and sound system angle.

yardman

Mad movements!
Daps
Reppin
Whitehall
Art forms such as spoken word jazz poetry and comedy records had an influence on the first rappers.[29] Coke La Rock, often credited as hip-hop's first MC[30] cites theLast Poets among his influences, as well as comedians such as The Wild Man Steve and Richard Pryor.[29] Comedian Rudy Ray Moore released under the counter albums in the 1960s and 1970s such as This p*ssy Belongs To Me (1970), which contained "raunchy, sexually explicit rhymes that often had to do with pimps, prostitutes, players, and hustlers",[31] and which later led to him being called "The Godfather of Rap".[32]

Gil Scott-Heron, a jazz poet/musician, has been cited as an influence on rappers such as Chuck D and KRS-One.[33] Scott-Heron himself was influenced by Melvin Van Peebles,[34][35] whose first album was 1968's Brer Soul. Van Peebles describes his vocal style as "the old Southern style", which was influenced by singers he had heard growing up in South Chicago.[36] Van Peebles also said that he was influenced by older forms of African-American music: "[...] people like Blind Lemon Jefferson and the field hollers. I was also influenced by spoken word song styles from Germany that I encountered when I lived in France."[37]

During the mid-20th century, the musical culture of the Caribbean was constantly influenced by the concurrent changes in American music. As early as 1956,[38] deejayswere toasting (an African tradition of "rapped out" tales of heroism) over dubbed Jamaican beats. It was called "rap", expanding the word's earlier meaning in the African-American community—"to discuss or debate informally."[39]

Do you know about mento and nyabingi music? Because the American influence on Jamaican music the constant influence point is a stretch(specifically Jamaica). That's a hyped point made any time this comes up. If you say ska music for instance that's probably the only Jamaican music that has a heavy African American influence.

yardman

Mad movements!
Daps
Reppin
Whitehall
The sound system concept first became popular in the 1950s, in the ghettos of Kingston. DJs would load up a truck with a generator, turntables, and huge speakers and set up street parties. In the beginning, the DJs played American rhythm and blues music,

The music being played has nothing to do with it. And that's a exaggerated the music played was primarily ska and then rhythm and blues. So that's a stretch.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
The music being played has nothing to do with it. And that's a exaggerated the music played was primarily ska and then rhythm and blues. So that's a stretch.

DJing and turntabilism are American/European in origin and ska doesnt exist without AA music:francis:

DMGAINGREEN

Transitioning from Sec 8 to tha Sky scrapes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
Jamaica my primary domain , Uptown BX is secondary even tho I was born in the BX I moved to Jamaica literally right after .. lived in Jamaica for the first four years of my life moved back to the BX but I've been to Jamaica every summer (except this year :mjcry:) that country just exudes innovation on the culture tip , I hope eventually we overcome the economic corruption we've been facing for the past couple decades but on the bright side its gradually improving .

BIG UP TOWER HILL :salute:

yardman

Mad movements!
Daps
Reppin
Whitehall
Jamaica my primary domain , Uptown BX is secondary even tho I was born in the BX I moved to Jamaica literally right after .. lived in Jamaica for the first four years of my life moved back to the BX but I've been to Jamaica every summer (except this year :mjcry:) that country just exudes innovation on the culture tip , I hope eventually we overcome the economic corruption we've been facing for the past couple decades but on the bright side its gradually improving .

BIG UP TOWER HILL :salute:

The IMF has to be destroyed before Jamaica can come out of its economic slump. Economic white supremacy. Add on the neo-colonialism from China. Add on the pull that America has on the island. Add on the fact that major decisions still have to be approved by the Queen. It's a bunch of factors fukking Jamaica over.

DreadBrown

Feed the children
Daps
How I miss this thread?

Didnt know there where so many yardmon on here

Actually iirc some of you were posting the same comments on here and dhr during the kartel trial :lolbron:

DreadBrown

Feed the children
Daps
@Poitier is right about the music thing though reggae has its roots in rnb/soul/country.

My father was born in the 50's his favourite artiste is al green