“People Who Downplay Latinos Role In Hip Hop Are SO STUPID” - KRS-One

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Yet you aren't mentioning the Disco DJs who weren't fukking with Hip Hop in it's birth but wanted to claim being a part of it after teh fact once it became popular

You aren't mentioning how Graffitti wasn't a part of Hip Hop in it's birth as well but was later merged with the culture by the late 70's..

This argument you speak off is only one sided and fosuses on Latinos not being involved in it's birth which means that the argument is fake and contrived when that's the only thing people wanna argue about concerning what wasn't there in the beginning when there were other elements not there in the beinnning that later became apart of the culture once the culture was established,

I am not caping for Latinos or any other group.

I am going against the movement which tries to separate Black people into smaller tribes.

Both sides of my family came through slavery so I am very much a proponent of descendants of slaves. But I recognize that descendants of slaves are in the Islands and in South America. What we call Latinos can be descendants of slaves. Dominicans, Puerto Ricans and other afro Latinos.

Tariq leans on reparations as the reasoning behind being so divisive. Reparations would be great, but the more realistic way forward is unity among all people who are considered Black or anyone who wants to truly be down with Black people.

A million dollar check for every descendant of American slaves is pretty much a fantasy. SOHH there's no reason to upend everything else around us cause we waiting on the check. It's like waiting on Jesus to come back.

mag357

Superstar
Daps
But it wasn't a part of Hip Hop at it's birth. That's a fact. Graffitti had its own culture prior to Hip Hops birth, Graffitti didn't merge with Hip Hop culture till the late 70's.

You're saying two different things.

Graffiti was already around. Yes...
But it got adopted into hip hop at its genesis.

Just like certain parts of breaking and DJing were around before hip hop.

But they end up being pillars of hip hop

mag357

Superstar
Daps
Exactly, can’t name one because Prince Markie Dee was considered the first one.

Puerto Rican may have done some break dances or graffiti but they weren’t instrumental in the meat of Hip Hop. The part that catapulted hip hop.

Hip hop isn't because of one artist or some DJs..
Hip hop is Street culture.
Everyone from the streets was involved in its birth and growth.
Which is comprised of a lot of different types of people.

Some people were better at it than others and became known for it.

These are the names we talk about but they did not invent hip hop

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
You're saying two different things.

Graffiti was already around. Yes...
But it got adopted into hip hop at its genesis.

Just like certain parts of breaking and DJing were around before hip hop.

But they end up being pillars of hip hop

Correct. But I would word it that graffitti was at the end of the book of Genesis not at the beginning of the book of Genesis.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Well KRS, who is actaully from The Bronx in the 70's is way more qualified tp speak on Hip Hop over LA residentTariq Nashhed who just in 2018 said Kool Herc invented Hip Hop. See post #3 in this thread for further proof.
Tariq isn’t from LA - I’ve been on the internet long enough to remember when he would tell stories about living in Alabama.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
People keep saying these generic no-name statements about "being there" or "living in the bronx at the time", but people are not bringing up receipts that prove the originators like Sasa, Trixie, Cholly Rock, Busy B, DJ Hollywood, etc...wrong. And some of the Puerto Rican OGs of hiphop have been honest about how they "got it from the brothers...that was black culture".

Like i said in that other thread, at this point people are going to have to provide receipts to prove the Black originators wrong. And not these shaming tactics and passive threats.

Unbothered

ELEVATING to HIGHER LEVELS with POSITIVE VIBES ✨
Daps
Reppin
'Cuse, New York
Repost just in case some of you didn't read my comment in the other section...

Well, I've always believed Hip-Hop to be a genre primarily created by Black Americans but also had notable contributions made by Caribbeans, Jamaicans, and Afro-Latinos (not White Latinos like Fat Joe types) during its early days.

Black Americans have been the face of Hip-Hop since its creation and that is why it's been closely associated with us because we've been the mainstays (the voice, image, soul, etc) of the genre since day one.

I don't think that's debatable. 70s NY neighborhoods were very integrated with Black Americans, Caribbeans, and Afro-Latinos living amongst each other so it's not too hard to believe they didn't have some type of involvement.

This is how I feel about the topic.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
People keep saying these generic no-name statements about "being there" or "living in the bronx at the time", but people are not bringing up receipts that prove the originators like Sasa, Trixie, Cholly Rock, Busy B, DJ Hollywood, etc...wrong. And some of the Puerto Rican OGs of hiphop have been honest about how they "got it from the brothers...that was black culture".

Like i said in that other thread, at this point people are going to have to provide receipts to prove the Black originators wrong. And not these shaming tactics and passive threats.
Are you talking about music … or the other elements like graffiti, breaking …

RAX 010

NYG LWO Mets
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
EAST✈WEST
Salute to the New York Puerto Ricans Fa sho !
my Puertorock nikkas
We got a different culture in the north east its weird to me seeing Mexicans and blacks not get along out here on the west due to politics etc and all that and other regions don't understand how Ricans can say Nixga ....

cuz they is nixgas lol
I don't understand how that's hard to see

They knew that if we all had unity from West to Midwest down south to East Coast ...can't stop us
:myman:

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Are you talking about music … or the other elements like graffiti, breaking …
Sasa and Trixie were the first breakers. 2 FBA dudes. People even falsely stated Sasa was latino because..."Sasa". And Trixie is a lightskin dude so people claimed he was Rican too at one point.

Graffiti is the one that if people want to say wasn't technically black american i won't fight it. Because they say Cornbread started doing it a certain way* or he started modern graffiti. Even when you hear his backstory he was just doing it because gangs in the juvie he was in were doing it. And there were other types of graffiti like the "Bird Lives" stuff.

But when it comes to like music, breaking, rapping, fashion, slang, etc...that Black American shyt. People keep just saying other ethnic groups were around, but Black Americans are showing receipts that predate 70's hiphop. And of course Tariq is a controversial figure so people are attacking that, but the originators are saying this stuff out of their own mouths.

I honestly can't believe it's even a debate at this point.

Last edited:

King Poetic

The D.O.G.(Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
I literally have no idea and I haven’t watched Tariq shyt..

But in terms of the music for me, that’s strictly black , the graffiti, break dancing, etc then ok, i guess puerto ricans was involved

But I don’t know