PAWG Product Manager at Facebook showcases average day in her 6-figure tech job

Daps
not saying it's impossible... but they like to hire nikkas that act and sound like cacs...

Black Google Engineer "Google hires the whitest black candidates"​

this FBA breh is an anomaly ( no cac voice)

what kind of nikka from atlanta watches formula 1 :wtf:

There's some truth to this, but you can get into the software field pretty easily without any code switching. I completely disagree that you have to "play the game" in any way. You simply need to get that first job somewhere, anywhere. That barrier to get that first job may be high, but as long as you're willing to go anywhere and get paid whatever, you should be good.

Once you get that first job, you're set. As long as you can do the job, folk won't care.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
one, that’s not true, I have plenty of regular black friends who work at these companies, and me and a couple real town business ass homies work at them too

Two, on the part of “white blacks” being hired, you’d understand there’s a selection bias when these companies hire mainly from the top schools, there’s a disproportionate number of black students who grew up around cacs or went to to white high schools prior to college and end up hanging out with white people in college. Of course you’re going to end up with a lot of white washed blacks when that makes up 2/3 of the black candidate pool.

Lastly, “real black” people need to know how to play the game, unfortunately. You gotta know how to connect with and make white folks feel comfortable during the interview process, then you can re-black yourself once hired…is it fair? Nah, but you can either sit on the outside and complain about not getting in, or play the game to get in. I’m my average self at work, but during interviews I tap into all that white shyt I’ve been exposed to in college and the workplace to find ways to build rapport. Play the game
damn sweetheart...you giving away the game lol...but its all facts

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
She only fuccin with cacs bruh :mjlol:

I hit her page looking for some more views of that crackin lil body.
I'll admit when I'm wrong.
The voice is what threw me.
Folks raised her in a white neighborhood.
She's Black Bourgie set. All the indicators are in this video.
I know this crowd very well.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
not saying it's impossible... but they like to hire nikkas that act and sound like cacs...

Black Google Engineer "Google hires the whitest black candidates"​

this FBA breh is an anomaly ( no cac voice)

what kind of nikka from atlanta watches formula 1 :wtf:

She got zero sista inflection in her voice, I would not have known she was black if I didn’t watch the vid

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
This person worked at Boeing, Google, Facebook, etc. and has an actual, real description of the job:

You got to be good af at balancing moving parts, managing egos, communicating, etc. You got to really keep track of where other teams are and adjust your targets and adjust your expectations when teams tell you x, y, z are/are not possible. Many people can chill because they've worked out a good system for themselves that still gets the work done.

I've been a member of engineering teams who have absolutely resented their product teams, while other teams loved their's.

It def. ain't an easy job for people not built that way and it's tougher to break into than software engineering.

Also note how much she gets done and still makes content. People are really driven at those levels.

I wanted to get into it myself coming from engineering, but it seems way too intense. I just want to continue to code and get annoyed enough as is when somebody makes a comment on a ticket I got to answer.

This is way more informative than "In the cafeteria I had a lemon San Pellegrino with blueberry granola yogurt. Yum!"

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
This person worked at Boeing, Google, Facebook, etc. and has an actual, real description of the job:

You got to be good af at balancing moving parts, managing egos, communicating, etc. You got to really keep track of where other teams are and adjust your targets and adjust your expectations when teams tell you x, y, z are/are not possible. Many people can chill because they've worked out a good system for themselves that still gets the work done.

I've been a member of engineering teams who have absolutely resented their product teams, while other teams loved their's.

It def. ain't an easy job for people not built that way and it's tougher to break into than software engineering.

Also note how much she gets done and still makes content. People are really driven at those levels.

I wanted to get into it myself coming from engineering, but it seems way too intense. I just want to continue to code and get annoyed enough as is when somebody makes a comment on a ticket I got to answer.

The different systems, applications and sites at my company always have some shyt wrong with them.

Product managers don't try to take any responsibility for it either.

I don't know what the fukk they do if we are being honest.

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
Yup, it's simply a different type of grind.

If you more introverted and have work to do and it's "Friday group game time!" you probably going to get tired quick af.

How is this strenuous?

They in meetings for half the day.

Daps
Ehhh. It depends on the product, where the product is in its lifecycle, & the company. At some places, Product Management looks like pure hell. The pressure is intense and both the engineers and the business people/higher ups can be at your throat. It is a high EQ position that admittedly I don't think I could do. Not enough direct authority. And I definitely could not deal with Gen Z engineers the way PMs have to. It's a great position to get general management skills in though.

Anyone who's worked in a tech environment knows that the bar is hyper low for junior level white women. They have it better than anyone in the company. I had a white 20-something coworker tell a manager she was going home at 3pm because she was tired. It was a Wednesday. She hadn't left later than 5:20 the entire week getting in at 9. He was just like :aicmon: "Ok Sarah. Get some rest." They get treated with kid gloves. It's insane.

This. Could never be me. I'd be in one meeting with the PMs & GMs basically telling them they suck and are the reason shyt is falling behind. The next meeting, developers are telling them to fukk right on off when they ask for acceleration on the project. Nah, I would've lost my cool.
Yeah, folks big trippin’ talking about product management is easy work haha. I work in a product adjacent role and work very closely with PMs. The product we work on would be the envy of most folks but with that comes high visibility, both internally and externally, and thus, high pressure from execs. PMs have to manage so many “egos”, which in the corporate world is translation for whiny ass, privileged white folks throwing tantrums b/c things are not going their way.

Obviously all product management jobs and situations are different, but it can be a very stressful job that 95% wouldn’t want to do.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, folks big trippin’ talking about product management is easy work haha. I work in a product adjacent role and work very closely with PMs. The product we work on would be the envy of most folks but with that comes high visibility, both internally and externally, and thus, high pressure from execs. PMs have to manage so many “egos”, which in the corporate world is translation for whiny ass, privileged white folks throwing tantrums b/c things are not going their way.

Obviously all product management jobs and situations are different, but it can be a very stressful job that 95% wouldn’t want to do.

Having to deal with those kind of people is why I have no desire to move to management. I'd much rather be given an assignment and get that done in isolation. I could see moving to architect or some tech heavy role, but no thanks to management