Paula Jai Parker believes she's been blackballed after choosing to marry the bus driver instead of a bus owner

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I've sort've move beyond the point i was trying to make with this post.
but also..... "Who?" Exactly
nobody else you don't recognize is getting in all those films without smashing the director.
:ehh:

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
I hear ya, but she said that she is homeless living out of a hotel.

So, although I agree that actress money>9-5, a 9-5>homelessness..

She needs to do what she need to do to get back to where she was and an 9-5 is a good starting point. After that, she can save to start her own business which will allow her to do what needs to done to get back in Hollywood.

Nobody is bigger than the program including this woman.

*shrugs*
This clip is from 2014.
Not sure why they're posting it in 2023.
She's been working fairly steadily since then.
Looking at her IMDB page, I noticed that the work ticked up after John passed.

I hear you on needing to do what you have to to make ends meet.
But also, Hollywood is an image game.
If Hollywood people see Paula ringing up Tide detergent pods at Whole Foods, it sends a message that you're a civilian now.
Look at Geoffrey Owens (Elvin from Cosby Show). He went ahead and got that 9-5 and some hoe ass mf exposed him.
Luckily, he played it off perfectly and Tyler Perry hooked him up with some TV work. That lead to other roles.

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
You think I can just walk up in there snap my fingers and make them m'fers throw they money at me......I ain't even made payout. :francis:

Joke aside, sad to hear she was homeless and in that predicament.

Lonj

Superstar
Daps
Hollywood operates like a clique where you got to get in good with particular groups, fall in line and do favors in order to get work. Patrice O'Neal talked about how he stopped getting looks completely from Spike Lee and his camp when he turned down a role Spike was offering cause of a scheduling conflict.

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
From what I remember of her roles they were Friday, Don’t Be A Menace, Tales From The Hood, Get On The Bus, Phone Booth, She Hate Me, Hustle & Flow. All supporting roles or bit parts. She worked steadily.

Daps
d275baca0d0846c1a352be59b0190223_xl.jpg
If she's blackballed she's got nothing to lose naming names.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hollywood operates like a clique where you got to get in good with particular groups, fall in line and do favors in order to get work. Patrice O'Neal talked about how he stopped getting looks completely from Spike Lee and his camp when he turned down a role Spike was offering cause of a scheduling conflict.
:ohhh: so Hollywood despite trying to portray this image of be super progressive is just as much a "old boys network":mjpls: as they try to make fun other part of the country are.

Daps
I don't get the term "Production Assistant" when it comes to financial stability. The term is very vague
How much does he actually make? And why won't he look for a better job if what he's doing now is not paying the bills?

On the other hand, she was in alot of big roles in Hollywood, not sure why she did not save her money and is living in a hotel

She was in a lot of big roles? You’re shytting me right? lol

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
She was in a lot of big roles? You’re shytting me right? lol

She's been in 40+ TV and Movie roles
And her role in Proud Family was better than 95% of Hollywood

That is more than enough to save money and not overextend yourself which leads to you living in a Hotel

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
From what I remember of her roles they were Friday, Don’t Be A Menace, Tales From The Hood, Get On The Bus, Phone Booth, She Hate Me, Hustle & Flow. All supporting roles or bit parts. She worked steadily.

not to be a dikk (and I’m not coming at you sideways…no dame) but those were movies not roles…movies I all saw too (except tales)…no one can say any memorable roles tho…it’s easy to rattle off movies we remember seeing her in but as you said they were small supporting roles or “bit parts” that were largely the same in nature…she usually played the young raunchy friend or hooker…she fit roles that could’ve been played by any young black actress…imo nothing that makes me think she’s been “cheated” out of roles…it’s possible she just got too old to be casted in the minor roles she’s typically been in…I know that’s not necessarily your argument…just adding on

Last edited: