Paula Jai Parker believes she's been blackballed after choosing to marry the bus driver instead of a bus owner

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
not to be a dikk (and I’m not coming at you sideways…no dame) but those were movies not roles…movies I all saw too (except tales)…no one can say any memorable roles tho…it’s easy to rattle off movies we remember seeing her in but as you said they were small supporting roles or “bit parts” that were largely the same in nature…she usually played the young raunchy friend or hooker…she fit roles that could’ve been played by any young black actress…imo nothing that makes me think she’s been “cheated” out of roles…it’s possible she just got too old to be casted in the minor roles she’s typically been in…I know that’s not necessarily your argument…just adding on
I wasn’t saying she got cheated or blackballed

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
This sister has had all kind of demons dealing with addiction and other things. Her issue is not because of who she married it is because of what she’s done.

Nothing wrong with accepting accountability or forcing a person to understand their own frailty.

I don’t know how but I somehow ended up being a fan of her and kind of following her from show to show and for a period there she was unhinged.
I was gonna say, not to be mean but she kinda has “issues”. If you watched the reality tv show she was on a while back (something on tvone), ol girl was kinda “spacey”. 👀👀

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Paula was fukking John Singleton when Hustle & Flow started filming.
John was the executive producer.
Paula decided that it was a good idea to start fukking the production assistant on the movie.
She started sporting buddy on the set in front of John.
She eventually married the guy but he was blackballed along with Paula.

Guess they were blackballed, I'd say almost deservingly for moving so sloppy too :dead:

If true, Then :manny:
:deadrose:

:deadrose:
/thread

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yup the "powerful" Hollywood dude she was fukking was getting her these roles with his connections most likely :yeshrug:
Alternatively, he's bitter and is utilizing his position to harm her.

If he's purposely cutting off her access to this roles, because he's out of the relationship - that's still an issue as well.

The absolute vast majority gain advantages or in-ways into organizations/industries based on personal connections - not unusual

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
So why are they striking? That ain't TV money long enough, apparently. :mjlol: Most actors work 9 to 5s
Writers are different from actors. The actors are striking to support the writers.
Hollywood, like most industries in the new millennium, aint paying what they used to.
Look at how streaming is robbing recording artists, but the labels are getting hella paid because they cut the artists out of the revenue sharing.
Getting your music licensed used to be a great source of income. Now it doesn't pay like it once did.
Auto plant workers don't make as much as they used to anymore. They bought out the oldtimers and bought new workers in for much less.

The studios are getting in on the grift. They're also using streaming as an excuse not to pay.
They're thinking that they can use AI to automate scripts, voiceover work, and even actors in small roles.
They still have to pay the stars but they want everyone else to work for less.
The cost of living continues to rise and wages are stagnant.
In SoCal, where the industry is, the cost of living is exorbitant.

Aspiring actors work other jobs.
Waitstaff is popular amongst aspiring actors because they need their daytime hours free to go on auditions.
Professional actors don't work 9-5. They have agents that keep them working and they may have other revenue streams.
If you have a small role as a teacher on a Disney or Nickelodeon show, your pockets will be sitting nice.
With TV, they're really paying you not to take another job, which is why you rarely see soap opera actors leave that sector.

Black actors are not considered priority in Hollywood and it's harder to keep steady work.
Paula is not the only Black actor in her peer group to lose work.
Bokeem Woodbine, Sean Patrick Thomas, Tyrin Turner, Allen Payne, and Larenz Tate all went long periods without work.
Glynn Turman
369085256574.jpg

or Joe Pantoliano
images

have never sat at the top of the heap in Hollywood, but they keep a job.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Truth is, alot of actors aren't making much money. They are basically like regular people except they are more wll known.

This strike has caused alot of them to tell their stories.

Paula is still working though according to imdb

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
How shorty living out of a hotel? Isn’t proud family renewed for multiple seasons??

DaMos Supreme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
First of all if true that was idiotic as fukk of her.

Secondly didn’t she get the Proud Family role AFTER Hustle & Flow came out? That wouldn’t mean she was blackballed.

I remember she also spoke about turning down the role Monica Calhoun played in Players Club because she wanted to be the lead which led to her falling out with Ice Cube.

I think she just made a few bad business decisions that led to people not fukking with her, but not actively blackballing her
That would have been different, but interesting if she would’ve stuck it out with that character. It seemed like she would’ve been up for the ‘Ronnie’ role, because that seemed like the type of role in her repertoire…due to some of the typecasting.

mag357

Superstar
Daps
Yo, Ain't that shorty from Friday...

Dont let me see her in no damn motel...... Late night.

Might have to proposition that bytch lol

Daps
She's been in 40+ TV and Movie roles
And her role in Proud Family was better than 95% of Hollywood

That is more than enough to save money and not overextend yourself which leads to you living in a Hotel

Better? That’s fan talk and subjective. A lot of people are mislead about those residuals too

Orange cream shake

Blessed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
null
She can claim backballed but she not a great actor.

Roles dried up cuz she play the same character
This. She’s been a series regular on a house divided and her acting is terrible and over the top. It doesn’t help that she plays a different variation of the same character. She should have a little money as that show is still on the air. She need to stop living like her show is on Netflix.