Paula Jai Parker believes she's been blackballed after choosing to marry the bus driver instead of a bus owner

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I don’t know…she’s a black actress who’s not on the level of Nia Long/Sanaa Lathan/Vivica Fox/Gabrielle Union, etc and sometimes they complain about the lack of work so I’m sure there would definitely be even less for her. Maybe she knows something we don’t tho:yeshrug:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Paula was fukking John Singleton when Hustle & Flow started filming.
John was the executive producer.
Paula decided that it was a good idea to start fukking the production assistant on the movie.
She started sporting buddy on the set in front of John.
She eventually married the guy but he was blackballed along with Paula.

Sips tea

:ohhh:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
She’s saying that either you are blackballed or you are sleeping your way into things :mjlol:

Why the fukk would you be blackballed for NOT sleeping your way to things. You obviously did something wrong that you’re tryna deflect from.

NotAnFBIagent

[redacted]
Daps
She was in a movie with Morgan freeman and a white man
I used to watch it just to see when the white dude had a threesome with her and another girl
And beat off

But I wish I knew the name of it so I watch it for the actual plot
https://media.tenor.com/lJn4sdcu1kwAAAAC/wildin-nikkas.gif

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
Writers are different from actors. The actors are striking to support the writers.
Hollywood, like most industries in the new millennium, aint paying what they used to.
Look at how streaming is robbing recording artists, but the labels are getting hella paid because they cut the artists out of the revenue sharing.
Getting your music licensed used to be a great source of income. Now it doesn't pay like it once did.
Auto plant workers don't make as much as they used to anymore. They bought out the oldtimers and bought new workers in for much less.

The studios are getting in on the grift. They're also using streaming as an excuse not to pay.
They're thinking that they can use AI to automate scripts, voiceover work, and even actors in small roles.
They still have to pay the stars but they want everyone else to work for less.
The cost of living continues to rise and wages are stagnant.
In SoCal, where the industry is, the cost of living is exorbitant.

Aspiring actors work other jobs.
Waitstaff is popular amongst aspiring actors because they need their daytime hours free to go on auditions.
Professional actors don't work 9-5. They have agents that keep them working and they may have other revenue streams.
If you have a small role as a teacher on a Disney or Nickelodeon show, your pockets will be sitting nice.
With TV, they're really paying you not to take another job, which is why you rarely see soap opera actors leave that sector.

Black actors are not considered priority in Hollywood and it's harder to keep steady work.
Paula is not the only Black actor in her peer group to lose work.
Bokeem Woodbine, Sean Patrick Thomas, Tyrin Turner, Allen Payne, and Larenz Tate all went long periods without work.
Glynn Turman
369085256574.jpg

or Joe Pantoliano
images

have never sat at the top of the heap in Hollywood, but they keep a job.
I get what you're saying, but I just think we tend to overestimate how much these folks really make. I thought they all made bank, until I dated a few.

Fact is, the vast majority of actors don't make enough to sustain themselves on acting alone. That includes aspiring actors AND working actors. Most can't even afford SAG health insurance. They raised the premium by 44% after the pandemic, so now you need to make a minimum of $26k to qualify.

"Most of my members don't even meet the threshold to get health insurance, which is $26,000 a year, and in most jobs that would be considered a part-time job." - SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher told "CBS Mornings." Why are Hollywood actors on strike?

:merchant:

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
I get what you're saying, but I just think we tend to overestimate how much these folks really make. I thought they all made bank, until I dated a few.

Fact is, the vast majority of actors don't make enough to sustain themselves on acting alone. That includes aspiring actors AND working actors. Most can't even afford SAG health insurance. They raised the premium by 44% after the pandemic, so now you need to make a minimum of $26k to qualify.

"Most of my members don't even meet the threshold to get health insurance, which is $26,000 a year, and in most jobs that would be considered a part-time job." - SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher told "CBS Mornings." Why are Hollywood actors on strike?

:merchant:
Like I said, the key is steady work.
You can have your SAG card and not work.
There are a grip of actors out there. That doesn't mean they're working. A small percent are successful enough to make a living out of it.
But if you are acting for a living, you don't need to be the star of the show to make a decent living.
I read an interview with Kid from Kid N Play.
He was saying that he loved doing supporting roles on sitcoms because "you can be the fifth banana on a show and make $30K an episode".

From The Hollywood Reporter
Hollywood Salaries Revealed: Who Makes What on the Lot and on Location

Newcomers can expect to earn just $15,000 to $20,000 per episode on a network or cable series. Experienced actors take home as much as $75,000 to $100,000 an episode, and bigger stars can earn $150,000 to topline a series in its first season. Raises (usually about 4 percent) come each subsequent season (James Spader made $160,000 per episode for season two of The Blacklist; Jeff Garlin made $84,000 per episode on season two of The Goldbergs), but the real money comes after contract renegotiations (usually for season 3). In breakout success, the stars of hit shows eventually can earn as much as a cool $1 million an episode (The Big Bang Theory's Johnny Galecki and Jim Parsons).

So like I said, you get a small role playing the teacher on a Disney show and you make $20K an ep.
Those shows usually do anywhere from 12 to 24 episodes
$20K x 12 = $240K
$20K x 20 = $400K
$20K x 24 = $480K

About the streaming grift:

Qualifying for health insurance through SAG

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
Like I said, the key is steady work.
You can have your SAG card and not work.
There are a grip of actors out there. That doesn't mean they're working. A small percent are successful enough to make a living out of it.
But if you are acting for a living, you don't need to be the star of the show to make a decent living.
I read an interview with Kid from Kid N Play.
He was saying that he loved doing supporting roles on sitcoms because "you can be the fifth banana on a show and make $30K an episode".

From The Hollywood Reporter
Hollywood Salaries Revealed: Who Makes What on the Lot and on Location

Newcomers can expect to earn just $15,000 to $20,000 per episode on a network or cable series. Experienced actors take home as much as $75,000 to $100,000 an episode, and bigger stars can earn $150,000 to topline a series in its first season. Raises (usually about 4 percent) come each subsequent season (James Spader made $160,000 per episode for season two of The Blacklist; Jeff Garlin made $84,000 per episode on season two of The Goldbergs), but the real money comes after contract renegotiations (usually for season 3). In breakout success, the stars of hit shows eventually can earn as much as a cool $1 million an episode (The Big Bang Theory's Johnny Galecki and Jim Parsons).

So like I said, you get a small role playing the teacher on a Disney show and you make $20K an ep.
Those shows usually do anywhere from 12 to 24 episodes
$20K x 12 = $240K
$20K x 20 = $400K
$20K x 24 = $480K

About the streaming grift:

Qualifying for health insurance through SAG

That small percent don't represent the majority. Kid, James, Jeff, Johnny and Jim are all Vets. The average actor isn't bringing home 20k an episode, nor do they have the resume to book those 20k-an-episode type projects. Other than that, I agree with you on the rest. Steady work is crucial

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
Dawg Cmon. She was in maybe 8 episodes on Wayans Bros.

There was nothing in depth about that character at all
Yea she kinda came off like she had sense but at the same time she was booghie or however you spell it but was fronting like she was rich

OAN it’s wild how sitcoms used to have a person play multiple characters on the same show

She was in season one as Marlon girl one episode then she became a regular in like season 3 as their booghie home girl that got Marlon in the friend zone :dwillhuh:

A lot of shows used to do that :russ: