Paula Jai Parker believes she's been blackballed after choosing to marry the bus driver instead of a bus owner

King Poetic

The D.O.G. (Disciple Of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Pacific
She lying

It’s because her and her husband was living beyond their means not because Hollywood black ball her… also take into account her movie roles became typecast and Hollywood can pay someone else cheaper

Look at tisha Campbell situation with Dwayne Martin when their divorce was announced and both their pockets was fukked up..because they was trying to live like Will Smith without Will money

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
Movie and TV money >>>> 9-5 work
Movie and TV money is looooong.

If you only get supporting roles in Hollywood, you can do very well for yourself.
If you've made career getting regular work in Hollywood like Paula was, your lifestyle will reflect that.
A 9-5 won't support that lifestyle.
The dude that played Jordan was still a teenager living with his parents so he could work at AT&T or at the BBQ joint and it not hurt him too bad financially.
So why are they striking with the writers? That TV money ain't long enough, apparently. :mjlol: Most actors work 9 to 5s

Last edited:

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
not to be a dikk (and I’m not coming at you sideways…no dame) but those were movies not roles…movies I all saw too (except tales)…no one can say any memorable roles tho…it’s easy to rattle off movies we remember seeing her in but as you said they were small supporting roles or “bit parts” that were largely the same in nature…she usually played the young raunchy friend or hooker…she fit roles that could’ve been played by any young black actress…imo nothing that makes me think she’s been “cheated” out of roles…it’s possible she just got too old to be casted in the minor roles she’s typically been in…I know that’s not necessarily your argument…just adding on

While I agree with you to some extent that she wasn’t a big actress and that anyone could have played her part….the fact is that she WAS in those movies. And people know her face now. So if directors were being objective and unbiased, why not cast her in a role? You’re not gonna tell me she can’t be in a Tubi movie or on Family Business on BET. Tami from Basketball Wives/Real World on there :dead:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
While I agree with you to some extent that she wasn’t a big actress and that anyone could have played her part….the fact is that she WAS in those movies. And people know her face now. So if directors were being objective and unbiased, why not cast her in a role? You’re not gonna tell me she can’t be in a Tubi movie or on Family Business on BET. Tami from Basketball Wives/Real World on there :dead:

but why?

and that’s my point bcuz her face was familiar in movies 3 decades ago doesn’t automatically grant her access to roles now…if I put some thought to it, I imagine there were young black and white actors/actresses from the 90s who were more talented or at least had more prominent roles in movies that don’t get any callbacks today either and it may not be due to any sinister behind-the-scenes shyt

Last edited:

King Poetic

The D.O.G. (Disciple Of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Pacific
A lot of Black Hollywood females from back in the day was lazy broads who complained about Hollywood now, but didn’t take advantage of getting they paper and reinvesting developing their own production companies when they was hot and thought they was about to cake up like viola Davis or Angela Bassett….

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This clip is from 2014.
Not sure why they're posting it in 2023.
She's been working fairly steadily since then.
Looking at her IMDB page, I noticed that the work ticked up after John passed.

I hear you on needing to do what you have to to make ends meet.
But also, Hollywood is an image game.
If Hollywood people see Paula ringing up Tide detergent pods at Whole Foods, it sends a message that you're a civilian now.
Look at Geoffrey Owens (Elvin from Cosby Show). He went ahead and got that 9-5 and some hoe ass mf exposed him.
Luckily, he played off perfectly and Tyler Perry hooked him up with some TV work. That lead to other roles.

Thanks for letting me know about this woman. I don't know who she is TBH..

Maybe I seen her on TV or a 🎥, but I probably glossed over her for some reason.

Glad to hear that she is back in the game, but I simply commented on the caption..

Salute!

Cool Dr. Money

I’m Lil Jimmy but my boys call me J-Murder!
Daps
Reppin
Q.U./N.J.
I still remember the episode of The Wayans Bros. When Marlon finally tried to shoot his shot at Monique and she friend zoned him

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Paula was fukking John Singleton when Hustle & Flow started filming.
John was the executive producer.
Paula decided that it was a good idea to start fukking the production assistant on the movie.
She started sporting buddy on the set in front of John.
She eventually married the guy but he was blackballed along with Paula.

First of all if true that was idiotic as fukk of her.

Secondly didn’t she get the Proud Family role AFTER Hustle & Flow came out? That wouldn’t mean she was blackballed.

I remember she also spoke about turning down the role Monica Calhoun played in Players Club because she wanted to be the lead which led to her falling out with Ice Cube.

I think she just made a few bad business decisions that led to people not fukking with her, but not actively blackballing her

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
she didn't get blackballed, she just lost the connection that got her all those roles to begin with.
You think Jennifer holland would've gotten roles in Peacemaker, the suicide squad, Guardians, shazam, and black adam?
If she wasn't with james gunn?
81546349800d9b5fb4a286b5931287b6

she's right otherwise, though, hollywood is about clique and they like to work with their friends and lovers etc.
She not part of that social clique anymore so she losing out on the roles. wouldn't call that blackballing though.
How she screamed when Gamora shot her ass in the leg had me rolling. :mjlol: