Paul Thomas Anderson’s ‘Licorice Pizza’ - Official Thread

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I've been to the theatre several times in the last few months and every single time this trailer comes on I have a :beli: throughout it.

Seems to be getting great reviews though :patrice:

Agreed. I wish there was a word to describe the particular type of self- important, too-cool-for-school, white indie vibe this movie trailer gives off, lol. But I'm going to check it out anyway. Sometimes these movies are actually as good as they already think they are.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Absolutely loved this. Hoffman’s son killed it and something tells me this isn’t the last time we’ll see him in a PTA film. Alana was so good.

This was more down the lane of his older work and in the same nostalgia-fueled, coming of age realm as a Dazed and Confused or Almost Famous, and I love those kind of movies. There’s not really a single plot point that drives the film - it’s basically on auto-pilot while you see Hoffman’s character and friends go about their chaotic teenager lives.

The age dynamic between the two lovestruck leads was….bizarre. Can definitely see that turning folks off completely
, but despite its weirdness I was still entranced by the film’s charm. Feels like Anderson and Linklater are the best at making an ordinary slice-of-life story feel so immersive. It made me want to be a teen again.

Still need to finish a few other movies, but this is my favorite of the year so far.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
It was good. I wish it had ended like 10 seconds sooner.
There’s still a line of ambiguity in the
ending that makes me tolerate it, but I agree. One thing’s for certain, PTA sure loves exploring these taboo relationships.

Ultimately, I don’t see Gary and Alana working out for obvious reasons. Not only the illegal age gap but the contrasts between the two was hammered home several times - Gary being the rejuvenation in life that Alana lost during her twenties and needed back badly.

He doesn’t even say “I love you” back to her in the end. She’s in for another loop to fulfill that high while Gary’s just there to have a good time in adolescence. This film is like listening to OutKast’s “Hey Ya” for the first time and realizing how disturbing the lyrics are, despite the feel-good vibes of the beat.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Absolutely loved this. Hoffman’s son killed it and something tells me this isn’t the last time we’ll see him in a PTA film. Alana was so good.

This was more down the lane of his older work and in the same nostalgia-fueled, coming of age realm as a Dazed and Confused or Almost Famous, and I love those kind of movies. There’s not really a single plot point that drives the film - it’s basically on auto-pilot while you see Hoffman’s character and friends go about their chaotic teenager lives.

The age dynamic between the two lovestruck leads was….bizarre. Can definitely see that turning folks off completely
, but despite its weirdness I was still entranced by the film’s charm. Feels like Anderson and Linklater are the best at making an ordinary slice-of-life story feel so immersive. It made me want to be a teen again.

Still need to finish a few other movies, but this is my favorite of the year so far.

Thanks for the review. I'm hyped to see this. Almost Famous is one of my favorite movies. And I love Dazed and Confused.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
It was good. Something kept it from being great though, and I'm not sure what it was. Maybe it was because I really didn't like Alana and my opinion of her didn't change much over the film. Greg was off but there was something charming about his earnest goofy ambition. I had trouble getting over the age gap between them too, but that may just be a personal thing. Brad Cooper's character cracked me up. I think he made me actually laugh out loud at one point. It did drag a little towards the end, IMO, but overall, I really enjoyed it.

8.5/10 for me.

WakandanPride

Realest Negus Alive
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Just got out of this. I don't know how I feel about it. I will say that Alana Haim and Cooper Hoffman were excellent in this though. PTA's direction was great as usual as well.

However, I can't rock with the "relationship" these two had. I don't care how mature he was for his age, the jit is still 15 in the movie. I'm 24, and I cant imagine myself following a 15 year girl around no matter how "mature" she thinks she is. Shyt would be weird as fukk. The woman basically used this jit as a means to an end throughout the movie.

Idk, it was great on a technical sense. But the subject matter made me uncomfortable.

Last edited:

dizzy4111

Superstar
Daps
This was fantastic. Best of the year imo.

As for the relationship in the movie...I think it makes a little more sense when you consider how stunted Alana is due to her home life. She was what, 25 in the movie? The youngest of 3 sisters that all still live at home under a domineering father and (clearly) doormat mother. It's obviously inappropriate and will never last but it's pretty clear that Alana missed out on a huge part of her adolescence and is struggling to figure out who she is and what she wants.