Over a decade later, why aren't the 2000s romanticized like the 90s were?

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hasn't been long enough. Coulda said this 10-15 years ago about the 80s and 90s. It's the 90's time right now. 2000s will get their run. Will be interesting to see how nostalgia goes when you get to the point where everything was documented and parsed to death in real time. Gonna be hard to "back in my day" some shyt that played out entirely on the internet that can easily be searched and confirmed.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Music was still good
Sitcoms you had everybody hates Chris. Bernie Mac. All of us. Then other shows like boondocks and Chappelle show. Not to mention we had the goat black reality TV shows from hell date to college hill
The 00s are just now 20yrs ago. Romanticizing usually starts happening around the 20yr Mark. Things that happened in 2009 was very recent up until a couple years ago. 90s nostalgia didn’t start happening full throttle until like 2011. 00s nostalgia will pick up this year and the next few years. The 20yr anniversary of films like Fast And Furious is this year. You’ll see. Again, in many instances 2009 still feels recent as hell.

:skip:

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
nah, you can’t romanticize a period when it can be brought up digitally at any point in time.

There was a period of time in the 2000s that there was a real effort to bring back the 80s and 90s. Literally everyone was trying to grab the shyt they grew up with back then and make it perpetual. This is one of the reasons why the early 2000s was a retread.

Every nikka had Kazaa and Limewire specifically to bring back childhood memories.

You don’t have, or need that now.

That was so true especially with shoes.

Never ever in my whole life did I get a chance to buy old shoes I missed out on.

For me it was the air max 95

Loved shoe but my folks couldn't afford them for me. Fast forward to the 2000s and Thier reselling all of their classic shoes.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Has life really even changed much since the 00s?
outside of social media becoming more apart of our daily lives, woke culture and urban fashion not much has changed imo.

Culturally is was basically a watered down version of the 90s up untill 2008 when the "cultural 2010s" began to seep in.

Not to mention 9/11, two major wars and ultimately a recession that we still really haven't recovered from.

Objectively that decade wasnt really special.
I'm a millennial so I do have good memories from the 00s. But im sure if I was an adult back then I wouldn't really care about it.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
When i was young i remember Bruce Lee being the most popular shyt even though he died years before. people were making nun chucks out of sticks and busting themselves in the head.

Bruce Lee is an icon that transcends eras. Had nothing to do with the 70's. Dude was only around for 3 years of the 70's, anyway.

Fred.

Offthegrid

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sum of us 80s born 90s raised kids start to hop off da porch being outside more i think alot of shows started gettin cancelled alot of mediocre television n cinema got bad after 03. Sports was ok im only saying that because i was an athelete from 00-2010 i didnt have time to be in crib unless i was sleep eating shytin n fukin i was on the baseball field n ball courts n gyms tryin make it. I think the 2010s is interesting dats when everything started to become very LGBTQ ushering dat :dame:
Slowly n fast by 2020:scust::gucci::mjtf::what::picard:

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
There was a period of time in the 2000s that there was a real effort to bring back the 80s and 90s.
Yeah, these fools. The Retro Kidz

l-eb0ceb89387448c9be4f1a25afe9382f.jpg

The 80s will never die :mjcry:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
The 2000s is romanticized by people. I see it a lot more now than a couple years ago. There was literally a thread here not that long ago about how great 2003 was, and it went platinum. :mjlol: It also appeals to right-leaning people because it was the last decade where being politically incorrect was encouraged. They feel like SJWs came in the 2010s and ruined their fun. :mjpls:

Honestly, it depends on what decade you were born in/came of age. Previous decades always get looked on more favorably as time goes by, unless something drastic and chaotic happens that changes life as you know it. Back in the 90s, people were romanticizing the 70s. There was a Sister, Sister episode about how Tia and Tamera felt like they would have more freedom if they were 70s kids. 80s nostalgia was in the 2000s, 90s nostalgia came in the 2010s. Over the next decade, the 2000s is going to be looked at as :obama: by everyone who came of age then, or missed out on it.

And as much as everyone shyts on the 2010s, people are going to be begging for it to come back when the 2030s hit. :sadcam: