Over a decade later, why aren't the 2000s romanticized like the 90s were?

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
what year did nikkas start to romanticize the 90s

idk if this is a real answer but I had students asking me about the 90s maybe around 2015ish or a little later...I asked why the interest and they mentioned that they saw ‘juice’ and some other 90s flicks on netflix and it looked like a “fun” time...also a lot of kids had parents who were “outside” during that time who shared music/movies with their kids...I was pleasantly surprised by kids who were into wutang and other 90s artists cuz their parents put them onto it...had to cut those conversations short tho...I didn’t like them getting too comfortable talking to me about rated R movies and explicit music/artists

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Because the early 2000s are underrated. You tend to not look at things underrated until someone explains it to you, then you like:ohhh:

If you think about it, the early 2000s was an extension of the 90s. Clubbing was still at an all time high. Music was still decent. People danced, there was no social media, etc. shyt like My Space was on the computer only, bytches was down to meet without flaking, etc.

Facebook live, Feminism, and Simps came through crushing buildings.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
idk if this is a real answer but I had students asking me about the 90s maybe around 2015ish or a little later...I asked why the interest and they mentioned that they saw ‘juice’ and some other 90s flicks on netflix and it looked like a “fun” time...also a lot of kids had parents who were “outside” during that time who shared music/movies with their kids...I was pleasantly surprised by kids who were into wutang and other 90s artists cuz their parents put them onto it...had to cut those conversations short tho...I didn’t like them getting too comfortable talking to me about rated R movies and explicit music/artists

I was going to say this as well. I was born in 88 and I didnt really see 90s influence pop up until like 2012/2013 ish when it felt like alot of people were sampling early to mid 90s songs.

Mainly because people that grew up on the stuff were now in a position to make music and beheard (drake, j cole, DJ Mustard, Big Sean etc)

Feel like the same thing happened with puffy jay z kanye etc in the 90s/00s

Next thing you know social media filled with 90s memes about martin, fresh prince, etc.

The fashion was starting to reflect it as well (flannel, bright colors, ripped jeans, high top fades, etc)

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I didn't read the thread but people always tend to glory the decade 20 years prior.

In the 90s, 70s nostalgia was the thing. In the 00s, it was the 80s and in the 10s, it was the 90s. Maybe we just haven't gotten far enough into the 20s yet.
This, and i think the fact that alot of the most popular parts of of the 00s are still talked about regularly today is also delaying it a bit,
Example, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Batman movies, Avatar, SPiderman, Denzel Washington, Fast and Furious. Technology is better but realistically the same. Still listen to music digitally,still stream videos still use cell phones etc. Hairstyles are still acceptable today/ Alot of that stuff is still relevant.
Hard to be nostalgic at this point.

Stuff from the 90s already had to time to fade away and come back. We no longered use beepers, dial up internet, Hairstyles wear different. we went through, cassettes and cd's, vhs tapes and dvds People didn't do remake after remake at that point, so alot of famous Ip's were long gone.
There was alot more stuff we did back then that we no longer do now.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Next thing you know social media filled with 90s memes about martin, fresh prince, etc.

OT but I remember some kids in my class were playfully joking this white student in my class (cool kid tho they all were) cuz she literally never even heard of ‘fresh prince of bel air’ which I think was rerunning on TBS at the time

Losttribe

[Formerly Blackking]
Daps
I didn't read the thread but people always tend to glory the decade 20 years prior.

In the 90s, 70s nostalgia was the thing. In the 00s, it was the 80s and in the 10s, it was the 90s. Maybe we just haven't gotten far enough into the 20s yet.
Lol 70s nostalgia was never a thing

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Music was still good
Sitcoms you had everybody hates Chris. Bernie Mac. All of us. Then other shows like boondocks and Chappelle show. Not to mention we had the goat black reality TV shows from hell date to college hill

Most of black media flamed out in 2006.