Over a decade later, why aren't the 2000s romanticized like the 90s were?

Marlo Barksdale

Really out chea
Daps
Reppin
Tha M
The reason is because the 90's (and parts of the 80s) never left.

The 00's was spent with people trying to recreate the past so much that it birthed the term "throwback."

Think about it: the 2000s (and 2010s) was basically people wearing, dressing and trying to recreate the 90s. From the old jerseys to the old hairstyles to baggy clothes to 90s sitcoms being the main thing shown on TV.

And that's wild because those 90's shows were in sydication even while they were still airing new episodes. Martin, Fresh Prince, Living Single, etc have never not been on TV every single day. Every movie is a remake.

A good question is this: "how do you dress like a 2010s person for a party? Skinny jeans and...90's clothes?"

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
2000's objectively speaking was:

-Internet golden age
-media consumption golden age (i.e. ipods, iphones, limewire, end of 56k modems, etc)

The internet golden age had such an enormous net positive/net negative effect on the world that it's almost impossible to quantify.

Everything in day-to-day life gotta be understood through that filter at this point.

The biggest net positive is o/a awareness... people these days are more aware in general of the world around them even though it don't seem like that at times. People became way more aware about diet, health, wage inequity, worker's rights, etc. in the post-internet era than they ever were before. Before the 2000s was basically the last era where certain information could literally be obscured from millions by not putting it in public school textbooks.

The biggest net negative is the hyper stratification of everything. There's less and less common ground within larger communities... I'm sure I don't gotta explain what I mean by that.

basedlawd

Banned
Daps
I'm already seeing people on social media start to reference and go back to 00s fashion, kids broadly refer to a mishmash of styles from the entire decade as the "y2k aesthetic" and you're starting to see musicians in their 20s such as Normani or Saweetie reference music that they grew up with in the 2000s in their own music.

It's happening, we're just at the beginning of it. I do have a feeling it won't be as prevalent as other nostalgia waves however and not because there's nothing to be nostalgic over but because we're more critical of the past than we used to be. The moment something from the 2000s starts becoming popular again there are going to be think pieces on how problematic that thing was at the time and people will try and cancel it.

Last edited:

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
It seemed like as soon as 2010 hit, a lotta ppl just wanted to pretend like the 2K’s never happened. Basically treating the whole decade like a bad dream since 9/11.

Me personally, about 65% of my childhood and damn near my entire teenhood was in the 2000’s (I was born in 1992) so I still have a big soft spot for the decade.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Honestly the only reason why the 2000s is not heavily worshipped like the 90s is 9/11. It really changed the world and once people see one bad thing, all you can really remember is all the bad things following it. Natural disasters, school shootings, war, etc. If you were to ignore those things when it comes to the 2000s, the other things like entertainment, fashion, and technology were equal or even better than the 90s, which people are actually actively talking about still :yeshrug:.