Hip Hop Outkast or Mobb Deep...who was the better duo?

Who was the better duo?

• Mobb Deep

Votes: 116 49.4%
  • Outkast

Votes: 119 50.6%

• Total voters

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
1) By whom was Prodigy held in the top tier.

2) Rakim mattered in '97. Rakim in '97 was still >>>>>> Prodigy

3) How is Mobb Deep a top tier group if they aren't even they best out of Queens? That was my reason for even bringing up ATCQ

4) OutKast is closer to being in the same breath as Bone and Wu than Mobb Deep. I could see if OutKast was Da Organization or Ghetto Mafia (like you're making them out to be), but OutKast was a group with a huge fan base in the 90's.
1. By anyone who was alive during that time period, there's a reason P got features on multi-Platinum albums like It Was Written, Mr.Smith and Capital Punishment. There's a reason Prodigy is one of the most sampled rappers ever.

2. Rakim was irrelevant please stop. :dead:

3. You realize no place has put out more hip hop talent than Queens, and two of the greatest groups of All-Time Run-DMC and Tribe are from there? You do realize by 96, Run DMC was :flabbynsick: and ATCQ was falling apart.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mobb Deep are overrated. I listened to the Infamous first time last year to see what all the fuss was about and in what sense was this a "classic"

I swear to God I had to skip half of the tracks. Wasnt feeling it at all apart from a couple of tracks like Shook Ones and Survival of the fittest.

I don't think Mobb Deep is overrated in general, but on the Coli posters are going way overboard. LOL @ Prodigy being a solo rapper in the 90's.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. By anyone who was alive during that time period, there's a reason P got features on multi-Platinum albums like It Was Written, Mr.Smith and Capital Punishment. There's a reason Prodigy is one of the most sampled rappers ever.

2. Rakim was irrelevant please stop. :dead:

3. You realize no place has put out more hip hop talent than Queens, and two of the greatest groups of All-Time Run-DMC and Tribe are from there? You do realize by 96, Run DMC was :flabbynsick: and ATCQ was falling apart.

1. I guess Foxy Brown was a top-tier lyricist too then :comeon:. She was on two of the albums you listed appearing on IWW twice.

2. Rakim's comeback was still more relevant than Mobb Deep at the time

3. I'm not the one who mentioned Run DMC. As for as ATCQ, are you really saying Mobb Deep was >>>>. They were still making music beyond '93/'94 even if it wasn't on par with their classics. If it wasn't for ATCQ, Infamous wouldn't be as classic. Q-Tip anyone?

cheek100

Truuu
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
wait.. how is this even up for a vote tho?
who in mobb deep can out rap 3000?
..or big for that matter?

kast took rap to another level AND carried their whole city
(a disrespected city at the time!)
what did the mobb do.. invent the dunn language? :what:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
That's not Prodigy's catalog though, it's Mobb Deep's. I'm familiar with all of those verses, but it still doesn't hold weight against what Pac, Biggie, Nas, and Jay were doing. They were holding down 2-3 verses of excellence per song. At times, the executed concepts that added layers to the lyrics.
So what? I already told you about the concepts, first person narratives, epistolary tales, songs rapped in metaphors, street epics. Prodigy had tons of concepts and he was extremely descriptive, an amazing story teller who even incorporated dialogue in tracks. In most songs Prodigy was spitting more than one verse, this makes me wonder if you even listened to the Mobb Deep albums. In songs like Trife Life, Give up the Goods, QU-Hectic, Frontlines he had 2-3 verses, and P didn't write no short verses either.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So what? I already told you about the concepts, first person narratives, epistolary tales, songs rapped in metaphors, street epics. Prodigy had tons of concepts and he was extremely descriptive, an amazing story teller who even incorporated dialogue in tracks. In most songs Prodigy was spitting more than one verse, this makes me wonder if you even listened to the Mobb Deep albums. In songs like Trife Life, Give up the Goods, QU-Hectic, Frontlines he had 2-3 verses, and P didn't write no short verses either.

I've listened to Mobb Deep albums, but songs here and there spread over the course of their three albums in the 90s can't compare to Nas, Pac, Biggie, and Jay holding down the majority of their albums with 2-3 verses. Again, Prodigy was great, but he wasn't top-tier great. If he was, he'd still be considered as great. Why? There's several rappers who are considered Top 10 who had an epic fall off, but their classics were enough to keep them in contention.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
1. I guess Foxy Brown was a top-tier lyricist too then :comeon:. She was on two of the albums you listed appearing on IWW twice.

2. Rakim's comeback was still more relevant than Mobb Deep at the time

3. I'm not the one who mentioned Run DMC. As for as ATCQ, are you really saying Mobb Deep was >>>>. They were still making music beyond '93/'94 even if it wasn't on par with their classics. If it wasn't for ATCQ, Infamous wouldn't be as classic. Q-Tip anyone?
1. Foxy Brown was one of the biggest female rappers at the time and was very popular. Not even good to put her in this discussion she's irrelevant.
2. No it wasn't, :flabbynsick: Rakim wasn't getting play that album barely went gold.
3. A Tribe Called Quest by 95-99 was done, they were falling apart. Beats, Rhymes did not reach the critical acclaim that the Mobb's three albums did. It was darker and a departure from their style, Mobb>Tribe at that point.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I've listened to Mobb Deep albums, but songs here and there spread over the course of their three albums in the 90s can't compare to Nas, Pac, Biggie, and Jay holding down the majority of their albums with 2-3 verses. Again, Prodigy was great, but he wasn't top-tier great. If he was, he'd still be considered as great. Why? There's several rappers who are considered Top 10 who had an epic fall off, but their classics were enough to keep them in contention.
Nas, Pac, Biggie and Jay were bigger stars that doesn't make them better :snoop:

Prodigy had the stories, concepts, voice, delivery and lyrics he spit enough verses from 95-99 and his debut album HNIC was solid. Are we really discrediting him for being part of a group? :snoop:

Analyze P's concept, storytelling ability, rhyme schemes clearly a top tier lyricst.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Why are yall arguing with these Kast stans? They really think Kast has a better album than Infamous. They really think P has never rapped on the level of 3 Stacks. So on and so on. Let them wallow in their delusions.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. Foxy Brown was one of the biggest female rappers at the time and was very popular. Not even good to put her in this discussion she's irrelevant.
2. No it wasn't, :flabbynsick: Rakim wasn't getting play that album barely went gold.
3. A Tribe Called Quest by 95-99 was done, they were falling apart. Beats, Rhymes did not reach the critical acclaim that the Mobb's three albums did. It was darker and a departure from their style, Mobb>Tribe at that point.

1. I only brought up Foxy because she's featured on the very same albums you pointed out (except for Noyd's and Pun's). In fact, she got more of a buzz from the "I Shot Ya" verse than Prodigy. According to you she's irrelevant, but you know good and well that '95-'99 Foxy was huge, but that's a different discussion.

2. Didn't BET do a comeback special on Rakim, yet his comeback wasn't a big deal.

3. A Tribe Called Quest wasn't officially done until like late '98/'99. Again, they may have been on the down side by '96, but my point is who was better overall.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas, Pac, Biggie and Jay were bigger stars that doesn't make them better :snoop:

Prodigy had the stories, concepts, voice, delivery and lyrics he spit enough verses from 95-99 and his debut album HNIC was solid. Are we really discrediting him for being part of a group? :snoop:

Analyze P's concept, storytelling ability, rhyme schemes clearly a top tier lyricst.

Where in that post did I mention Nas, Pac, Biggie, and Jay's stardom?

He's discredited because Nas, Pac, Biggie, and Jay as MC's had to hold down their albums by their lonely. Prodigy had Havoc as co-MC and as a producer. None of the songs that Mobb Deep have are even in the same realm as an "I Gave You Power", "Undying Love", "If I Should Die 2nite", "Me Against The World", "D'evils", "Can't Knock The Hustle", "N**** Bleed", "Sky's The Limit", or "Somebody's Gotta Die".

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
1. I only brought up Foxy because she's featured on the very same albums you pointed out (except for Noyd's and Pun's). In fact, she got more of a buzz from the "I Shot Ya" verse than Prodigy. According to you she's irrelevant, but you know good and well that '95-'99 Foxy was huge, but that's a different discussion.

2. Didn't BET do a comeback special on Rakim, yet his comeback wasn't a big deal.

3. A Tribe Called Quest wasn't officially done until like late '98/'99. Again, they may have been on the down side by '96, but my point is who was better overall.
1. I know Foxy was huge, I said she was huge but she's irrelevant to the discussion. I was talking about Prodigy getting features on multi-Platinum albums that shows you that like Foxy he was thought of being top tier by his peers.

2. So what? It was Rakim's comeback album and he was heralded as the best at that point, he was a legend so BET gave him a special. 18th Letter was a forgettable album, people wasn't bumping that in the streets, the album wasn't that commercially succesful.

3. A Tribe Called Quest is better overall, but The Infamous is better than any Tribe album. Again no area has developed as much talent as Queens. Comparing them is pointless.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. I know Foxy was huge, I said she was huge but she's irrelevant to the discussion. I was talking about Prodigy getting features on multi-Platinum albums that shows you that like Foxy he was thought of being top tier by his peers.

2. So what? It was Rakim's comeback album and he was heralded as the best at that point, he was a legend so BET gave him a special. 18th Letter was a forgettable album, people wasn't bumping that in the streets, the album wasn't that commercially succesful.

3. A Tribe Called Quest is better overall, but The Infamous is better than any Tribe album. Again no area has developed as much talent as Queens. Comparing them is pointless.

1. That doesn't make Prodigy elite though. Even though like Foxy he was featured on those albums, neither were considered top tier lyricists

2. To say, 18th Letter wasn't commercially successful is to say that no Mobb album outside of Murda Muzik is commercially successful. 18th Letter went gold just like Hell On Earth and Infamous.

3. Tribe being better overall was my point.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Where in that post did I mention Nas, Pac, Biggie, and Jay's stardom?

He's discredited because Nas, Pac, Biggie, and Jay as MC's had to hold down their albums by their lonely. Prodigy had Havoc as co-MC and as a producer. None of the songs that Mobb Deep have are even in the same realm as an "I Gave You Power", "Undying Love", "If I Should Die 2nite", "Me Against The World", "D'evils", "Can't Knock The Hustle", "N**** Bleed", "Sky's The Limit", or "Somebody's Gotta Die".

Anyway it does not matter whether they held it down alone, we are not about to discredit someone because they were part of a group. Andre 3000 has been called a top 10 rapper and he worked with Outkast and never dropped a solo album. Shook Ones and Survival of the Fittest are classic hip hop songs large in part to P's verses, I disagree with you even saying that Mobb's songs aren't in the realm of those songs :wtf: how can you even say that? Do you realize the pictures these men painted :mindblown: Do you realize the emotion these men put in every rhyme? What is it about those songs you posted that exceeds what Prodigy was doing? Don't say concepts because I already showed you several concept tracks by Mobb Deep.

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
1. That doesn't make Prodigy elite though. Even though like Foxy he was featured on those albums, neither were considered top tier lyricists

2. To say, 18th Letter wasn't commercially successful is to say that no Mobb album outside of Murda Muzik is commercially successful. 18th Letter went gold just like Hell On Earth and Infamous.

3. Tribe being better overall was my point.
1. Dude Foxy was a pop star rapper, she was who was put on the lead single of the album. Prodigy was the lyricist that everyone wanted hear on the grimiest track of the album. You do realize that the vast majority of people believe P during this era was a top tier lyricist? Why the fukk would someone put a wack rapper as a feature on an album?

2. Mobb Deep got play in the streets. Nobody gave no fukks about 18th Letter. You couldn't expect Mobb to sell well they were hardcore, they didn't make commercial singles there was no "Juicy", "Ain't No nikka", "California Love" or "Street Dreams" on a Mobb Deep album.

3. Well it's not a good point, that's like criticizing Tribe because Wu-Tang is the best group from NY it's pointless.