Hip Hop Outkast or Mobb Deep...who was the better duo?

Who was the better duo?

• Mobb Deep

Votes: 116 49.4%
  • Outkast

Votes: 119 50.6%

• Total voters

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I'm not saying that Prodigy wasn't great, but he definitely wasn't in the league with Pac, Biggie, Nas, and Jay in the 90's. There was also Cube and Scarface. People still rode hard for greats from the 80's who were still active like Rakim. There's other MC's that were greater than P at that time.
What do you mean wasn't in their league? You must be talking fame because lyrically P was with all those cats as an MC he was in a zone from 95-99. He was amazing lyrically, he had that voice and delivery, stories and production that was tailor made for him. Honestly, counting his verses from The Infamous through Murda Muzik to go along with his features and unreleased material from the era nobody was fukking with Prodigy lyrically.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What do you mean wasn't in their league? You must be talking fame because lyrically P was with all those cats as an MC he was in a zone from 95-99. He was amazing lyrically, he had that voice and delivery, stories and production that was tailor made for him. Honestly, counting his verses from The Infamous through Murda Muzik to go along with his features and unreleased material from the era nobody was fukking with Prodigy lyrically.

As dope as he was from '95-'99, Pac, Biggie, Nas, and Jay were doing things like this lyrically:

Nas- Nas was penning masterpieces like "I Gave You Power" and "Undying Love". There was also "The Message", "If I Ruled The World", "Nas Is Like", "Project Windows" etc. Not to mention how Nas had memorable features that included Rae's "Verbal Intercourse", Mobb Deep's own "Eye For An Eye", and Kool G. Rap's "Fast Life"

Pac- Pac had "If I Should Die 2nite" and "Me Against The World", basically the whole MATW album. All Eyez On Me is a lighter album lyrically, but Makaveli 7 Day Theory had "Blasphemy", "Me And My Girlfriend", and "Against All Odds".

Jay Z- Reasonable Doubt had "Can't Knock The Hustle", "Can I Live", "D'evils", and "22 Twos", not to mention he sparred with Biggie on several songs ("BK's Finest", "I Love The Dough", and "Young G's Perspective") from '96-'97. He was writing for Foxy, which is a testament to his skills and songwriting. Who wants a mediocre writer to write for another artist? There's also "You Must Love Me" from Vol. 1

Biggie- Biggie had gems like "Sky's The Limit", "Ten Crack Commandments", "Kick In The Door". He masterfully told some crazy stories with "N**** Bleed", "I Got A Story To Tell", "Somebody's Gotta Die", and "You're Nobody"

^^^ Those are some of the greatest Hip Hop records ever written. Prodigy doesn't have a catalog of songs that are lyrically on par with those. Prodigy is being severely overrated.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
I'm not saying that Prodigy wasn't great, but he definitely wasn't in the league with Pac, Biggie, Nas, and Jay in the 90's. There was also Cube and Scarface. People still rode hard for greats from the 80's who were still active like Rakim. There's other MC's that were greater than P at that time.

why are you bringing up dudes from other eras? ice cube? rakim?

jay aint even have an album out when infamous dropped.

A Tribe Called Quest >>>>>>>>.

:laff:

tribe was :flabbynsick: by the time mobb deep blew up.

Lost Boyz? Am I forgetting someone? Mobb was bigger than both of them.

funny thing is, the lost boyz are a better comparison for outkast.

two 2nd-tier groups in the mid-90s.

mobb deep was top-tier.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
why are you bringing up dudes from other eras? ice cube? rakim?

jay aint even have an album out when infamous dropped.

:laff:

tribe was :flabbynsick: by the time mobb deep blew up.

funny thing is, the lost boyz are a better comparison for outkast.

two 2nd-tier groups in the mid-90s.

mobb deep was top-tier.

Cube and Rakim were still relevant in the 90's. Jay Z was around for most of Mobb Deep's 90's run.

What does it matter if they were so called washed up by the time Mobb Deep blew up? Is Mobb Deep a better group than ATCQ?

Mobb Deep was not on par with Bone Thugs N Harmony, Wu Tang Clan, ATCQ, or OutKast in the 90's. LOL @ Lost Boyz. Only Legal Drug Money was a big deal.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Cube and Rakim were still relevant in the 90's. Jay Z was around for most of Mobb Deep's 90's run.

What does it matter if they were so called washed up by the time Mobb Deep blew up? Is Mobb Deep a better group than ATCQ?

Mobb Deep was not on par with Bone Thugs N Harmony, Wu Tang Clan, ATCQ, or OutKast in the 90's. LOL @ Lost Boyz. Only Legal Drug Money was a big deal.

rakim was giggedy-ghost long before mob deep even came out.

HOLD UP
LET ME BACK THIS UP RIGHT QUICK.

I don't get it. wasn't your point that prodigy in his prime wasn't seen as a top-tier rapper? which Is false, btw.

aren't we talking about that time period? the period where mob deep and outkast actually mattered? if not, then we're arguing about 2 different things.

and outkast was not mentioned in the same breath as bone thugs or wutang in the '90s. that's the revisionist chit im talking about. and tribe is moreso an early '90s group. youre mishing & meshing eras like a champ.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
rakim was giggedy-ghost long before mob deep even came out.

HOLD UP
LET ME BACK THIS UP RIGHT QUICK.

I don't get it. wasn't your point that prodigy in his prime wasn't seen as a top-tier rapper? which Is false, btw.

aren't we talking about that time period? the period where mob deep and outkast actually mattered? if not, then we're arguing about 2 different things.

and outkast was not mentioned in the same breath as bone thugs or wutang in the '90s. that's the revisionist chit im talking about. and tribe is moreso an early '90s group. youre mishing & meshing eras like a champ.

1) Prodigy didn't have a solo album out in the 90's to even be on the level of any of those rappers

2) Rakim made a respectable comeback in 1997 which was during the time that Mobb Deep was active

3) The reason that ATCQ was even brought up is because I posted that Mobb Deep wasn't even the best group from Queens. It was questioned who was I referring to: CNN or the Lost Boyz? That's when I posted ATCQ.

4) It doesn't matter if Kast was mentioned in the same breath as Bone Thugs or Wu Tang in the 90's. Mobb Deep wasn't either. You're delusional if you think Mobb Deep was a bigger deal than OutKast at any point.

Illin Degenerate

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
don't even follow him up in regards to eras. he likes to think music is like sports where you have to account for all kinds of variables when comparing eras and its cut and dry who the best was any particular year. if group A and group B both make similar great albums one year, then two years later one makes a similar great album while the other makes a wack album, his response is group A's album doesnt count because group B sucked that time. seriously what kind of lame brain logic is that?
of course if youre not a top 5 group when youre at your best it'll be hard for you to be a top 5 group of all time. music is timeless, music is subjective. whats not subjective is youre a complete idiot with no credibility if you think outkast wasnt a top tier group in the 90s.

kast certainly was mentioned with bone in the 90's. by 95 they both had one great lp, by 97 kast had two great lp's, bone had one. by 99 kast had 3 great lp's, bone had one.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
As dope as he was from '95-'99, Pac, Biggie, Nas, and Jay were doing things like this lyrically:

Nas- Nas was penning masterpieces like "I Gave You Power" and "Undying Love". There was also "The Message", "If I Ruled The World", "Nas Is Like", "Project Windows" etc. Not to mention how Nas had memorable features that included Rae's "Verbal Intercourse", Mobb Deep's own "Eye For An Eye", and Kool G. Rap's "Fast Life"

Pac- Pac had "If I Should Die 2nite" and "Me Against The World", basically the whole MATW album. All Eyez On Me is a lighter album lyrically, but Makaveli 7 Day Theory had "Blasphemy", "Me And My Girlfriend", and "Against All Odds".

Jay Z- Reasonable Doubt had "Can't Knock The Hustle", "Can I Live", "D'evils", and "22 Twos", not to mention he sparred with Biggie on several songs ("BK's Finest", "I Love The Dough", and "Young G's Perspective") from '96-'97. He was writing for Foxy, which is a testament to his skills and songwriting. Who wants a mediocre writer to write for another artist? There's also "You Must Love Me" from Vol. 1

Biggie- Biggie had gems like "Sky's The Limit", "Ten Crack Commandments", "Kick In The Door". He masterfully told some crazy stories with "N**** Bleed", "I Got A Story To Tell", "Somebody's Gotta Die", and "You're Nobody"

^^^ Those are some of the greatest Hip Hop records ever written. Prodigy doesn't have a catalog of songs that are lyrically on par with those. Prodigy is being severely overrated.
Yes he does, breh have you seen Prodigy's catalog from this time period? You're telling me Shook Ones, Survival of the Fittest, Drop A Gem on Em, Quiet Storm, Frontlines, Genesis aren't classic songs? Prodigy is one of the most sampled rappers of the 90s for a reason, he did not spit a wack verse everything from Infamous to Murda Muzik was fire.

Prodigy had gems like Temperature's Rising which was an epistolary tale it was basically a letter he had written to a friend who happened to be Havoc's brother who went by Killa Black.
"What up black? Hold your head where ever you at on the flow from the cops
with wings on your back, that snitch nikka gave police ya location
we chop his body up in six degrees of separations"

Trife Life was another gem which where Prodigy raps a first person narrative about visiting a woman in another projects development across town in Brooklyn.
"Now we Bed-Stuy bound far from home and on unknown ground
but together we six deep with five heats, nothing sweet, first nikka fronting
getting lifted off his fukking feet"

Drink Away the Pain is where Prodigy compares his love for alcohol to that of love for a woman the whole song is rapped metaphorically.
"I used to be in love with this bytch named E&J
don't fukk with her no more now I fukk with tanqueray"

Prodigy spoke about the bleak realities of street life like no other, just look at Give up the Goods.
"Ayo Queens get the money, long time no cash
I'm caught up in the hustle where the guns go blast
The fool retaliated so I had to think fast, pulled out my heat first
he pulled out his heat last, who the fukk you think is living to this day?
I'm tryna tell these young nikkas crime don't pay, they looked at me and said
"Queens nikkas don't play, do your thing I'll do mine just stay outta ma way"
It's type hard tryna survive in New York State, can't stop till I'm eating off a platinum plate
Po-Po comes around and tries to relocate me lock me up forever but they can't deflate me"

"On a park bench on 12th street my whole crew is famous
You try to come through and bust your gat but you nameless"

Prodigy during this stretch IMO was a top 3 lyricist All-Time with Nas and Kool G Rap. I didn't even talk about his features such as on LL Cool J's "I Shot Ya", Big Pun's "Tres Leches" and his guest features on Big Noyd's debut Episodes of a Hustla.

Last edited:

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
don't even follow him up in regards to eras. he likes to think music is like sports where you have to account for all kinds of variables when comparing eras and its cut and dry who the best was any particular year. if group A and group B both make similar great albums one year, then two years later one makes a similar great album while the other makes a wack album, his response is group A's album doesnt count because group B sucked that time. seriously what kind of lame brain logic is that?
of course if youre not a top 5 group when youre at your best it'll be hard for you to be a top 5 group of all time. music is timeless, music is subjective. whats not subjective is youre a complete idiot with no credibility if you think outkast wasnt a top tier group in the 90s.

kast certainly was mentioned with bone in the 90's. by 95 they both had one great lp, by 97 kast had two great lp's, bone had one. by 99 kast had 3 great lp's, bone had one.

I didn't even read this.

we already know you weren't around in the '90s and you certainly never had anybody putting you up on game from that era.

why even bother posting that?

1) Prodigy didn't have a solo album out in the 90's to even be on the level of any of those rappers

2) Rakim made a respectable comeback in 1997 which was during the time that Mobb Deep was active

3) The reason that ATCQ was even brought up is because I posted that Mobb Deep wasn't even the best group from Queens. It was questioned who was I referring to: CNN or the Lost Boyz? That's when I posted ATCQ.

4) It doesn't matter if Kast was mentioned in the same breath as Bone Thugs or Wu Tang in the 90's. Mobb Deep wasn't either. You're delusional if you think Mobb Deep was a bigger deal than OutKast at any point.

1.) it doesn't matter. he was held in top-tier regard amongst his era. and I personally don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

2.) rakim really didn't matter in '97 dog.

3.) why bring tribe up at all? theyre not the best group from queens anyway. ever heard of run dmc? please don't bring them in the conversation tho. we done already went way too far off the road.

4.) if you know kast wasn't mentioned in the same breath as bone & wu, then why did you try to put them there on the slick?:whistle: and mob deep was CLEARLY a bigger deal than outkast. im sorry, but kast really wasn't that important.

Ill-Yaz

FA Cup winning fan
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mobb Deep are overrated. I listened to the Infamous first time last year to see what all the fuss was about and in what sense was this a "classic"

I swear to God I had to skip half of the tracks. Wasnt feeling it at all apart from a couple of tracks like Shook Ones and Survival of the fittest.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't even read this.

we already know you weren't around in the '90s and you certainly never had anybody putting you up on game from that era.

why even bother posting that?

1.) it doesn't matter. he was held in top-tier regard amongst his era. and I personally don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

2.) rakim really didn't matter in '97 dog.

3.) why bring tribe up at all? theyre not the best group from queens anyway. ever heard of run dmc? please don't bring them in the conversation tho. we done already went way too far off the road.

4.) if you know kast wasn't mentioned in the same breath as bone & wu, then why did you try to put them there on the slick?:whistle: and mob deep was CLEARLY a bigger deal than outkast. im sorry, but kast really wasn't that important.

1) By whom was Prodigy held in the top tier.

2) Rakim mattered in '97. Rakim in '97 was still >>>>>> Prodigy

3) How is Mobb Deep a top tier group if they aren't even they best out of Queens? That was my reason for even bringing up ATCQ

4) OutKast is closer to being in the same breath as Bone and Wu than Mobb Deep. I could see if OutKast was Da Organization or Ghetto Mafia (like you're making them out to be), but OutKast was a group with a huge fan base in the 90's.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes he does, breh have you seen Prodigy's catalog from this time period? You're telling me Shook Ones, Survival of the Fittest, Drop A Gem on Em, Quiet Storm, Frontlines, Genesis aren't classic songs? Prodigy is one of the most sampled rappers of the 90s for a reason, he did not spit a wack verse everything from Infamous to Murda Muzik was fire.

Prodigy had gems like Temperature's Rising which was an epistolary tale it was basically a letter he had written to a friend who happened to be Havoc's brother who went by Killa Black.
"What up black? Hold your head where ever you at on the flow from the cops
with wings on your back, that snitch nikka gave police ya location
we chop his body up in six degrees of separations"

Trife Life was another gem which where Prodigy raps a first person narrative about visiting a woman in another projects development across town in Brooklyn.
"Now we Bed-Stuy bound far from home and on unknown ground
but together we six deep with five heats, nothing sweet, first nikka fronting
getting lifted off his fukking feet"

Drink Away the Pain is where Prodigy compares his love for alcohol to that of love for a woman the whole song is rapped metaphorically.
"I used to be in love with this bytch named E&J
don't fukk with her no more now I fukk with tanqueray"

Prodigy spoke about the bleak realities of street life like no other, just look at Give up the Goods.
"Ayo Queens get the money, long time no cash
I'm caught up in the hustle where the guns go blast
The fool retaliated so I had to think fast, pulled out my heat first
he pulled out his heat last, who the fukk you think is living to this day?
I'm tryna tell these young nikkas crime don't pay, they looked at me and said
"Queens nikkas don't play, do your thing I'll do mine just stay outta ma way"
It's type hard tryna survive in New York State, can't stop till I'm eating off a platinum plate
Po-Po comes around and tries to relocate me lock me up forever but they can't deflate me"

"On a park bench on 12th street my whole crew is famous
You try to come through and bust your gat but you nameless"

Prodigy during this stretch IMO was a top 3 lyricist All-Time with Nas and Kool G Rap. I didn't even talk about his features such as on LL Cool J's "I Shot Ya", Big Pun's "Tres Leches" and his guest features on Big Noyd's debut Episodes of a Hustla.

That's not Prodigy's catalog though, it's Mobb Deep's. I'm familiar with all of those verses, but it still doesn't hold weight against what Pac, Biggie, Nas, and Jay were doing. They were holding down 2-3 verses of excellence per song. At times, the executed concepts that added layers to the lyrics.