Hip Hop Outkast or Mobb Deep...who was the better duo?

Who was the better duo?

• Mobb Deep

Votes: 116 49.4%
  • Outkast

Votes: 119 50.6%

• Total voters

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. She wasn't Will Smith, but she was like what Nicki Minaj is today. She's the one that's featured on the remixes and most popular singles, I don't get what so difficult to understand about that. Prodigy was clearly top tier again do you not see the rhyme schemes, delivery, stories, concept, emotion and voice all components of a top tier MC and Prodigy had them all. How many nikkas alone in this thread have praised Prodigy for his lyricism, there's another long thread on this site praising P's lyrical ability during this period.

2. It's pretty much a fact if you don't put out a mainstream single you're not going Platinum. That's why Mobb Deep didn't go Plat until they made "Quiet Storm". Mobb Deep was more hardcore than Wu-Tang, and Wu-Tang was more appealing to the mainstream than Mobb Deep. Again another pointless argument, we were talking about Rakim and Mobb Deep who was bigger in 1997 you'd have to be on drugs to think a :flabbynsick: Rakim was bigger than Mobb Deep, or that 18th Letter is better than any Mobb Deep album 95-99.

3. Pointless who cares if Tribe was better.

1. Nicki Minaj has collaborated with huge Pop stars. Foxy Brown's biggest collabo was on Toni Braxton's "Making Me High" remix. She wasn't some huge Pop Rap sensation. As far as Prodigy being clearly top tier, he wasn't. He had the makings of being top tier, but he wasn't on par with Nas, Biggie, Pac nor Jay at any point. And again, those weren't the only MC's that were heralded as the top tier rappers at that time. People praising Prodigy in this thread isn't proof of anything other than they are fans of Mobb Deep/Prodigy. Praise of Prodigy's lyrical ability isn't the same as putting him in the ranks of Nas, Biggie, Pac or Jay.

2. Plenty of rappers went platinum without a mainstream single in the 90's. Again Wu Tang was proof of that. In the midst of a West Coast dominated Hip Hop scene in '93, they put out "C.R.E.A.M" which didn't exactly scream mainstream. No Limit was putting out platinum albums during the Shiny Suit era without major radio play. C-Murder and Mystikal didn't have radio friendly mainstream singles either, but they went platinum.

In regard to Rakim, he was still much more respected as an MC than Prodigy at any point in his career 1997 included. Whether 18th Letter is better or not is a whole other argument.

3. It's not pointless, if Mobb isn't better than Tribe who is from the same borrough, how are they a top tier group?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
LOT of rap talent came from Queens. Group wise off the top there's Tribe, Run DMC, Mobb, CNN, even G-Unit. Don't even get into solo artists. No shame in not being the number 1 group from Queens.

Definitely no shame in it, but hurts any argument that Mobb Deep was somehow a top tier group in Hip Hop.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
1. Nicki Minaj has collaborated with huge Pop stars. Foxy Brown's biggest collabo was on Toni Braxton's "Making Me High" remix. She wasn't some huge Pop Rap sensation. As far as Prodigy being clearly top tier, he wasn't. He had the makings of being top tier, but he wasn't on par with Nas, Biggie, Pac nor Jay at any point. And again, those weren't the only MC's that were heralded as the top tier rappers at that time. People praising Prodigy in this thread isn't proof of anything other than they are fans of Mobb Deep/Prodigy. Praise of Prodigy's lyrical ability isn't the same as putting him in the ranks of Nas, Biggie, Pac or Jay.

2. Plenty of rappers went platinum without a mainstream single in the 90's. Again Wu Tang was proof of that. In the midst of a West Coast dominated Hip Hop scene in '93, they put out "C.R.E.A.M" which didn't exactly scream mainstream. No Limit was putting out platinum albums during the Shiny Suit era without major radio play. C-Murder and Mystikal didn't have radio friendly mainstream singles either, but they went platinum.

In regard to Rakim, he was still much more respected as an MC than Prodigy at any point in his career 1997 included. Whether 18th Letter is better or not is a whole other argument.

3. It's not pointless, if Mobb isn't better than Tribe who is from the same borrough, how are they a top tier group?
1. :snoop: Foxy Brown has nothing to do with this, I don't know how anyone can dispute Brown being pop as in being popular and one of the hit makers of this era. You continue to dodge my points, about Prodigy's lyricism do you know anything about rhyme schemes, you continue to disregard my point about P's concepts, emotion, stories and delivery and how unbelievably good he was at depicting the streets. You continue to throw the names Nas, 2Pac, Biggie and Jay at me, these guys were not seeing Prodigy maybe Nas or Pac on 7th Day Theory that's it. Biggie was not at Prodigy's level lyrically, neither was Jay. He was not top tier in terms of popularity but in skills yes he was. This man did not spit a wack verse over the course of 4 years.

2. Rakim was considered to be the G.O.A.T at that point he had more respect than anybody, who was hotter in the streets? Mobb Deep easily, who put out better albums at that point? Mobb Deep easily. Nobody was checking for Ra like that.

3. How were they not top tier? What is your definition of top tier? They put out three classics, one of the best albums ever, and several classic tracks. And it is pointless, because their basically from two different eras. Tribe peaked in the early 90s when alternative hip hop was dominating, while Mobb peaked when rugged, hardcore hip hop was popping. Whether Mobb was better than Tribe doesn't matter, they are both top 10 groups.

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. :snoop: Foxy Brown has nothing to do with this, I don't know how anyone can dispute Brown being pop as in being popular and one of the hit makers of this era. You continue to dodge my points, about Prodigy's lyricism do you know anything about rhyme schemes, you continue to disregard my point about P's concepts, emotion, stories and delivery and how unbelievably good he was at depicting the streets. You continue to throw the names Nas, 2Pac, Biggie and Jay at me, these guys were not seeing Prodigy maybe Nas or Pac on 7th Day Theory that's it. Biggie was not at Prodigy's level lyrically, neither was Jay. He was top tier in terms of popularity but in skills yes he was.

2. Rakim was considered to be the G.O.A.T at that point he had more respect than anybody, who was hotter in the streets? Mobb Deep easily, who put out better albums at that point? Mobb Deep easily. Nobody was checking for Ra like that.

3. How were they not top tier? What is your definition of top tier? They put out three classics, one of the best albums ever, and several classic tracks. And it is pointless, because their basically from two different eras. Tribe peaked in the early 90s when alternative hip hop was dominating, while Mobb peaked when rugged, hardcore hip hop was popping. Whether Mobb was better than Tribe doesn't matter, they are both top 10 groups.

1. I'm done with the whole Foxy argument because there's a difference between making pop songs and being a Pop artist.

So now Biggie wasn't at Prodigy's level lyrically. Jay? You're overrating Prodigy for the sake of putting him on that pedestal. Especially with Nas being a maybe. Prodigy's rhyme schemes couldn't hold a candle to Nas, Jay, or even Big's. In terms of rhyme schemes, he was more on par with Pac. Pac was still a better lyricist though.

2. The question isn't who was hotter in the streets? You're arguing top tier MC's. If Ra was considered GOAT, he's better by default. He was considered GOAT, selling the same amount of copies as Mobb Deep, yet no one was checking for him?

3. Tribe and Mobb aren't necessarily from two different eras. In fact, Q-Tip helped Mobb develop their sound. He produced songs on Infamous.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
1. I'm done with the whole Foxy argument because there's a difference between making pop songs and being a Pop artist.

So now Biggie wasn't at Prodigy's level lyrically. Jay? You're overrating Prodigy for the sake of putting him on that pedestal. Especially with Nas being a maybe. Prodigy's rhyme schemes couldn't hold a candle to Nas, Jay, or even Big's. In terms of rhyme schemes, he was more on par with Pac. Pac was still a better lyricist though.

2. The question isn't who was hotter in the streets? You're arguing top tier MC's. If Ra was considered GOAT, he's better by default. He was considered GOAT, selling the same amount of copies as Mobb Deep, yet no one was checking for him?

3. Tribe and Mobb aren't necessarily from two different eras. In fact, Q-Tip helped Mobb develop their sound. He produced songs on Infamous.
1. Biggie was not at Prodigy's in terms of rhyme schemes Pac destroys him as well. Biggie doesn't have a track more lyrical than Blasphemy. Biggie is arguably the weakest lyricist out of those you mentioned, his rhymes were more of how he said them and how his flow was. Jay was definitely not on his level, read Prodigy's verses count the rhymes, listen to his voice and the way they were delivered look at the concepts, look at the stories he told. Prodigy was not with those guys in popularity but in terms of skill yes he was.

This nikka P was spitting long ass verses with rhymes in almost every line, telling stories packed with dialogue and saying crazy shyt like he would stab your brain with your nose bone, he had metaphorical concepts, epistolary concepts, first person narratives, biographic concepts, three classic albums packed with nothing but heat verses, classic features, classic tracks (Shook Ones, Survival of the Fittest, Frontlines, Drop A Gem On Em, Quiet Storm) and nikkas wanna argue whether he was a top tier MC. He is one of the most sampled rappers ever :mindblown:

Do you realize how lyrical Shook Ones was? It's considered one of the greatest verses in hip hop history. And not just was part 2 great part 1 as well.

2. The heads bought Rakim's album, that album was not hot in the streets, that album was not popular, Rakim was not more popular than Mobb Deep in the mid to late 90s, that album was not better than any of Mobb Deep albums. Any body alive during that time period will tell you that.

3. Q-Tip helped in production, and spit a verse still from two different eras the vibe when Tribe came out in 1990 compared to the the vibe when Mobb Deep came out in 95 was completely different. Lets not discuss that any further, Tribe and Mobb Deep are both amazing groups.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I guess Jay can't be a top tier rapper because Biggie was also from Brooklyn.

If Biggie is considered better than Jay, how can Jay be GOAT. "If I ain't better than Big, I'm the closest one"--- Jay Z. Even he knew that he'd have to surpass Big to be in contention. Not just because Big was from BK, but because Big was considered GOAT.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. Biggie was not at Prodigy's in terms of rhyme schemes Pac destroys him as well. Biggie doesn't have a track more lyrical than Blasphemy. Biggie is arguably the weakest lyricist out of those you mentioned, his rhymes were more of how he said them and how his flow was. Jay was definitely not on his level, read Prodigy's verses count the rhymes, listen to his voice and the way they were delivered look at the concepts, look at the stories he told. Prodigy was not with those guys in popularity but in terms of skill yes he was.

This nikka P was spitting long ass verses with rhymes in almost every line, telling stories packed with dialogue and saying crazy shyt like he would stab your brain with your nose bone, he had metaphorical concepts, epistolary concepts, first person narratives, biographic concepts, three classic albums packed with nothing but heat verses, classic features, classic tracks (Shook Ones, Survival of the Fittest, Frontlines, Drop A Gem On Em, Quiet Storm) and nikkas wanna argue whether he was a top tier MC. He is one of the most sampled rappers ever :mindblown:

Do you realize how lyrical Shook Ones was? It's considered one of the greatest verses in hip hop history. And not just was part 2 great part 1 as well.

2. The heads bought Rakim's album, that album was not hot in the streets, that album was not popular, Rakim was not more popular than Mobb Deep in the mid to late 90s, that album was not better than any of Mobb Deep albums. Any body alive during that time period will tell you that.

3. Q-Tip helped in production, and spit a verse still from two different eras the vibe when Tribe came out in 1990 compared to the the vibe when Mobb Deep came out in 95 was completely different. Lets not discuss that any further, Tribe and Mobb Deep are both amazing groups.

1. You're flip flopping. Pac wasn't lyrical, yet Biggie doesn't have a track more lyrical than "Blasphemy". Prodigy is considered top-tier by people who are fans of Mobb Deep. Dude was never considered a GOAT along the lines of the guys mentioned. These are rappers that were in GOAT contention even in the 90's, which was still a period where people still held onto greats from the 80's (one of the reasons why I even mentioned Ra). Nas, Biggie, Pac, and Jay weren't even solidified as Top-tier GOAT contenders at that point because people still hailed greats from the 80's in that regard. Nas, Biggie, Pac, and Jay are from the era of Mobb Deep and all four of them were top-tier lyricists and MC's over Prodigy. A list made in '95-'99 wouldn't have Prodigy over them. That's not even considering other MC's from that era like Rae, Meth, AZ, and Ghost.

2. Heads bought Rakim's album, but it wasn't hot in the streets?

3. Tribe and Mobb's respective eras overlap. Tribe's quality of music might've dipped, but they were still a big deal until the break up.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
That's not focusing on how things should've been. Jay definitely wasn't a superstar in '96, but he wasn't exactly a non-factor either. Even still '96 is just one year out of the 90's. There's '96-'99 in which Jay was definitely bigger than Prodigy.

I still don't get how Pac is somehow this mediocre lyricist and Prodigy is being heralded as this master lyricist. How is a rapper talented at conveying emotions, but is not considered an elite lyricist?
Again, Jay wasn't bigger until 98.
Personally I don't think Pac was a mediocre lyricist, but are you claiming that wasn't the perception at the time? Again, Pac was a superstar but he wasn't considered an elite lyricist. Fair or not, that was the sentiment at the time.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
its not better than ATLiens or Aquemini
That's your personal opinion, but do you really think those albums are held in higher regard by the majority of the core audience, then the Infamous? It would be hard to say that since the two Kast albums aren't even undisputed classics.