Hip Hop Outkast or Mobb Deep...who was the better duo?

Who was the better duo?

• Mobb Deep

Votes: 116 49.4%
  • Outkast

Votes: 119 50.6%

• Total voters

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
***snorts 22seconds**

Outkast made more soulful and more songs that you could relate too and they were more believable, You could tell what Big rapped about it was who he really was and dre who he really is.

Havoc and Prod :stopitslime:, never could relate to shyt they was talkin bout.

this sounds like a personal problem.

who cares what you can relate to b? if the chit is jamming, then the chit is jammin. if its not, then its just not.

this is why outkast is so overrated in hindsight.

What era? OutKast def better in the 2000's but anyone saying Mobb Deep didn't kill it in the 90s is kidding themselves. OutKast had dope jams but they were low on the totem pole. Mobb epitomized what east coast gangster rap was. I fukking hated Mobb Deep cuz I was a Pac stan growing up, but their music crushed it. Mobb easily >>>> OutKast in the 90s.

the bolded is what Ive been saying from jump. biggest beneficiaries of revisionist history ever in hip-hop.

and yea, I was down with pac so I couldn't care less about mob deep back in the day.

as for the 2000s, both groups sucked. but i'll go with mob deep as the lesser of the 2 evils. they sucked, but they didn't go below the levels of suckery like outkast did.

This is as absurd as Andre 3000 being GOAT with the only difference being Prodigy has multiple solo albums. Prodigy was never put upon the pedestal where he was regarded in the same esteem as Nas, Pac, Biggie, or Jay. Not even in the 90's. That's not saying that Prodigy wasn't a great rapper, because he was, but GOAT? Then ya'll got the nerve to clown Kast fans.

prodigy was right up there with them. and higher than jay in the mid-90s.

and personally, I disagree but im just one man.

then you have havoc who held his own and sometimes outshined prodigy on tracks, and was one of the hottest producers in the game.

outkast wasn't even on their level. kast was a 2nd-tier group.

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Prodigy was definitely considered a beast during the 90s. Definitely considered top tier.

I'm not saying that Prodigy wasn't great, but he definitely wasn't in the league with Pac, Biggie, Nas, and Jay in the 90's. There was also Cube and Scarface. People still rode hard for greats from the 80's who were still active like Rakim. There's other MC's that were greater than P at that time.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this sounds like a personal problem.

who cares what you can relate to b? if the chit is jamming, then the chit is jammin. if its not, then its just not.

this is why outkast is so overrated in hindsight.

the bolded is what Ive been saying from jump. biggest beneficiaries of revisionist history ever in hip-hop.

and yea, I was down with pac so I couldn't care less about mob deep back in the day.

as for the 2000s, both groups sucked. but i'll go with mob deep as the lesser of the 2 evils. they sucked, but they didn't go below the levels of suckery like outkast did.

prodigy was right up there with them. and higher than jay in the mid-90s.

and personally, I disagree but im just one man.

then you have havoc who held his own and sometimes outshined prodigy on tracks, and was one of the hottest producers in the game.

outkast wasn't even on their level. kast was a 2nd-tier group.

Prodigy wasn't higher than Jay in the mid-90's. Even Reasonable Doubt Jay was higher than Prodigy. It's absurd to put Prodigy on that kind of a pedestal, but criticize someone for doing the same with Andre 3000. In the 90's, Prodigy didn't have one solo album to his name either.

Mobb Deep is more of a 2nd tier group than Kast. Mobb Deep wasn't even the biggest group from Queens in the 90's. Havoc in '96-'98 was one of the hottest producers in the game though.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I'm not saying that Prodigy wasn't great, but he definitely wasn't in the league with Pac, Biggie, Nas, and Jay in the 90's. There was also Cube and Scarface. People still rode hard for greats from the 80's who were still active like Rakim. There's other MC's that were greater than P at that time.
Pac was considered average at the time. Nobody considered Jay an elite until he injected himself into the debate on Where I'm From. This was probably unfair due to RD being brilliant, but it is what it is. Nas was probably considered the best by those in the know. PAC ramped up tremendously with Me Against the Workd on, but wasnt considered an elite lyricist. Prodigy had Nas and Big to contend with.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Prodigy wasn't higher than Jay in the mid-90's. Even Reasonable Doubt Jay was higher than Prodigy. It's absurd to put Prodigy on that kind of a pedestal, but criticize someone for doing the same with Andre 3000. In the 90's, Prodigy didn't have one solo album to his name either.

Mobb Deep is more of a 2nd tier group than Kast. Mobb Deep wasn't even the biggest group from Queens in the 90's. Havoc in '96-'98 was one of the hottest producers in the game though.
Lost Boyz? CNN? Am I forgetting someone? Mobb was bigger than both of them.

Mobb was elite from 95 to that summer jam screen. Kast's stature rose from album to album up to Stankonia. They blew Mobb out o the water commercially.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pac was considered average at the time. Nobody considered Jay an elite until he injected himself into the debate on Where I'm From. This was probably unfair due to RD being brilliant, but it is what it is. Nas was probably considered the best by those in the know. PAC ramped up tremendously with Me Against the Workd on, but wasnt considered an elite lyricist. Prodigy had Nas and Big to contend with.

I'm not even getting into the "Pac being average" argument. Pac was still a bigger deal than Prodigy based off the music. Same goes for Jay. Prodigy wasn't considered elite in the regard that Pac, Jay, Biggie, and Nas were. All of them had solo work that was classic, impactful, and influential. The same can't be said for Prodigy as a solo artist in the 90's.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lost Boyz? CNN? Am I forgetting someone? Mobb was bigger than both of them.

Mobb was elite from 95 to that summer jam screen. Kast's stature rose from album to album up to Stankonia. They blew Mobb out o the water commercially.

A Tribe Called Quest >>>>>>>>.

If we're talking commercially, OutKast blew Mobb Deep out of the water from the start. Mobb Deep's highest selling album is equivalent to the sales of Kast's least selling albums in the 90's. Southernplayalistic sold the same amount of copies as Murda Muzik. ATLiens and Aquemini sold double the amount of copies.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I'm not even getting into the "Pac being average" argument. Pac was still a bigger deal than Prodigy based off the music. Same goes for Jay. Prodigy wasn't considered elite in the regard that Pac, Jay, Biggie, and Nas were. All of them had solo work that was classic, impactful, and influential. The same can't be said for Prodigy as a solo artist in the 90's.
Pac was a superstar. That doesn't mean he was considered an elite emcee. Jay was not bigger than P until 98.
Prodigy wasn't a solo artist in the 90s. And we are talking duo vs. duo anyway.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
A Tribe Called Quest >>>>>>>>.

If we're talking commercially, OutKast blew Mobb Deep out of the water from the start. Mobb Deep's highest selling album is equivalent to the sales of Kast's least selling albums in the 90's. Southernplayalistic sold the same amount of copies as Murda Muzik. ATLiens and Aquemini sold double the amount of copies.
Yep - while I don't personally agree, the general consensus would be Tribe over Mobb (and Kast).
I wasn't suggesting that Mobb and Kast were neck in neck in sales initially, Kast always sold more, the margin increased album to album.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pac was a superstar. That doesn't mean he was considered an elite emcee. Jay was not bigger than P until 98.
Prodigy wasn't a solo artist in the 90s. And we are talking duo vs. duo anyway.

By 1998, Jay Z was arguably the biggest rapper in Hip Hop. In '96, there were several artists bigger than Jay Z, but Prodigy wasn't one of them. It'd be different if you'd said Mobb Deep as a duo was bigger than Jay, but Jay was lending his skills as an MC and a songwriter out to other artists in '96. So he was revered as a competent enough MC that others sought him out to write for them.

Pac was a superstar largely due to his music. Average MC's aren't talented enough to create songs like "Me Against The World", "Dear Mama", "If I Should Die 2nite", or "Shed So Many Tears". Pac had one of the best deliveries and was definitely no slouch lyrically. To say Pac wasn't an elite emcee is like discrediting Scarface and Cube as emcees.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
By 1998, Jay Z was arguably the biggest rapper in Hip Hop. In '96, there were several artists bigger than Jay Z, but Prodigy wasn't one of them. It'd be different if you'd said Mobb Deep as a duo was bigger than Jay, but Jay was lending his skills as an MC and a songwriter out to other artists in '96. So he was revered as a competent enough MC that others sought him out to write for them.

Pac was a superstar largely due to his music. Average MC's aren't talented enough to create songs like "Me Against The World", "Dear Mama", "If I Should Die 2nite", or "Shed So Many Tears". Pac had one of the best deliveries and was definitely no slouch lyrically. To say Pac wasn't an elite emcee is like discrediting Scarface and Cube as emcees.
You seem to be focusing on how things should have been. Jay should have made a much bigger splash in 96 since RD was such a great album, but he didn't. Same thing with Pac, he was certainly talented at conveying emotion in his songs (and all of the tracks you listed are from MATW, the album which I previously said was where he started to ramp up.). But he was not considered an elite lyricist. DMX is a good comparison to Pac in that regard (obviously, Pac was far better, but neither was perceived as a lyrical heavyweight).

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You seem to be focusing on how things should have been. Jay should have made a much bigger splash in 96 since RD was such a great album, but he didn't. Same thing with Pac, he was certainly talented at conveying emotion in his songs (and all of the tracks you listed are from MATW, the album which I previously said was where he started to ramp up.). But he was not considered an elite lyricist. DMX is a good comparison to Pac in that regard (obviously, Pac was far better, but neither was perceived as a lyrical heavyweight).

That's not focusing on how things should've been. Jay definitely wasn't a superstar in '96, but he wasn't exactly a non-factor either. Even still '96 is just one year out of the 90's. There's '96-'99 in which Jay was definitely bigger than Prodigy.

I still don't get how Pac is somehow this mediocre lyricist and Prodigy is being heralded as this master lyricist. How is a rapper talented at conveying emotions, but is not considered an elite lyricist?