"Outkast is bigger and better than Run DMC" - Big Gipp

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
What kast record for starters am I gonna bump over Darryl and joe.
which is pretty much,...
what All southern trap rap is sonically, in essence.
before southern trap, had a name to be in a genre.
then, after that...
what record does kast have seeing king of rock,.....
they don't have no verse, or record on the level of that shyt just for starters.
if I asked the fatboys to rap a kast verse.
it would never hit.
like when, the fatboys did king of rock on the Ave in Krush groove.

Art Barr
I respect Run DMC for jumping into rock and pulling white fans but I gotta say....

Outlast kept that old school rap alive. Just hearing their instrumentals from their first to recent albums have me reminiscent of the old school days.

Even big boi recent albums have old school like Shutterbug

I respect them to the ends of the earth for that.

ECA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They sold more records, had more critical acclaim, won AOTY at the Grammys. Where in that video did he lie?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I don't know. It would've been interesting. "The Way You Move" was huge. That song was also #1. They would've been competing against each other as "Hey Ya" and "The Way You Move" replaced each other at the top of the charts.
I think Big Boi might have topped out at 2 milli. Dre would have done 5.5 milli.
Who knows though?

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
influence-wise? hell no.

bigger? album sales speak for themselves, if that's what he's referring to.

better? i mean... is he lying?

Daps
Reppin
Richmond, Va
To be honest, besides influence, I can see an argument

And Gipp isnt necessarily arguing influence here.

Even influence they are definitely on par with RUN DMC IMO. Wasn't no one popping outta the south before them. SPCM set the table for the whole southern movement. That album birthed so many rappers it's ridiculous.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Geto Boys were.

Geto boys and Luke were there first, but I don't think any crew took the South and placed it on their shoulders like OutKast and the Dungeon Family. The title of the first album says it all. Dirt South was a term that was coined by Cool Breeze and Goodie Mob.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Geto boys and Luke were there first, but I don't think any crew took the South and placed it on their shoulders like OutKast and the Dungeon Family.
Luke don't really count to me...
The Geto Boys, Face and Rap-A-Lot as a whole, were huge. Minds Playing Tricks on Me got nationwide radio play. And it all started in the 80s.
All that placing on the shoulders stuff is subjective. Fact is - Geto Boys were first. Geto Boys made noise in the 80s. Geto Boys were nationwide. Geto Boys had classics before Outkast dropped.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Luke don't really count to me...

The Geto Boys, Face and Rap-A-Lot as a whole, were huge. Minds Playing Tricks on Me got nationwide radio play. And it all started in the 80s.
All that placing on the shoulders stuff is subjective. Fact is - Geto Boys were first. Geto Boys made noise in the 80s. Geto Boys were nationwide. Geto Boys had classics before Outkast dropped.

I'm not taking anything away from the Geto Boys.They were pioneers who paved the way, but OutKast and Goodie Mob were the first to take a declarative stand for the South.

Atlanta as a hub of all hip-hop in general and Southern Hip-Hop specifically, just doesn't happen if it wasn't for seeds laid by the Dungeon Family movement.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I'm not taking anything away from the Geto Boys.They were pioneers who paved the way, but OutKast and Goodie Mob were the first to take a declarative stand for the South.

Atlanta as a hub of all hip-hop in general and Southern Hip-Hop specifically, just doesn't happen if it wasn't for seeds laid by the Dungeon Family movement.
Yeah - originally you had said no one was popping out the South before Outkast.
Which is wrong. I don't disagree that Outkast put on for ATL. I'm not sure if they were the first to rep for the South as a region...you could be right about that.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Dawg, it was widely known kast were the pimp content version of souls.
to the point kast self admitted they were on souls dikk, hardcore.
that is a fact.
that kast admitted and I wanna say that interview is a linkable thread here, too.
I been said and had that prophecy realized.

Art Barr
Son and my point was that I never denied they took from Souls Of Mischief...my point was saying they took from Souls of Mischief is not proof they took from corny ass hippie Arrested Development...which Souls of Mischief is NOTHING like...imo...my dude was tryna tie them biting Souls into them biting Arrested Development...

Headcase

The Angry Young Man
Daps
Reppin
North Carolina
Definitely won't say they're bigger, cause Run DMC are pillars of Hip-Hop. But better? Absolutely.

Don't get me wrong, I love Run DMC, Raising Hell is still one of my favorite Hip-Hop albums. But I'd rather listen to Outkast, that's all there is to it.

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Well, just like the rest of us his opinion is subjective. Now is OutKast a bigger group than Run-DMC? No. Are they better? Well if you wanna compare the rap skills of Big Boi and 3000 v. Run and DMC, its Kast and its not even close. The sales comparison is meaningless. Hip hop was WAY bigger in the 90's than it was in the early/mid 80's. There were much more fans therefore many more purchasers of music. Its like comparing the salaries of NBA players today vs the 80's. Plenty of average players making more than a Magic or Dr. J made.

His claim that the Dungeon Family is still together is a little perplexing. First of all, when is the last time OutKast made a new record? It took them forever to do a tour and 3000 was even complaining about having done it afterwards. Not sure what anybody else in the Dungeon Family is still doing besides Cee-Lo. Of course they sold out their shows in Atlanta. That's their home, they been reppin since day 1.