Oprah and Iyanla teaching Men about Fatherhood?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Peoples' behavior is created by what they want to do. There are outside factors/conditions that influence them (such as family), but ultimately people will do what they determine is right for them - "good" and "bad" are relative terms.

You have to take it a little further than that though. The only inherent behavior/desires we are born with are eating, reproduction, and survival. Everything else is filled in by society. In order to change what people "want to do" we have to change their surroundings. The only way to do that is through economic advancement

Where I agree with you is that people will try to improve themselves only when they want to do so - Iyanla and Oprah may or may not expedite that process, and i'm leaning toward "may not".]
They have no chance of changing anything. You have to adress a problem from the root cause, not the effects.

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
Well, I'm not gonna knock her for trying. Its not the answer... but other than Steve Harvey's lil camp I don't see alot of black men stepping to the forefront and attacking the issue head on.

But I just know that Iyanla broad is beyond annoying.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I mean laws in general...child support laws, alimony laws, divorce settlement laws etc. Women and the elderly vote on that shyt cuz men are usually working not realizing they should vote.

I really don't believe that, but I'm only speaking for myself. If voting is important to you, you'd take time off and vote. Plus they have absentee ballots where you can mail your vote in.

Besides, those laws have fukk all to do with the reason why we have a problem with absentee fathers. Whether or not you get hit with child support is irrelevant, you still have a responsibility to be in your seeds life. Fathers not being there is why we have so many hood rats and so many kids growing up thinking it's ok not to take care of their seed.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
To touch on the "men are supposed to be providers" idea

I think men should scrap the idea that money defines their manhood because when they get into a situation where they don't have money, you often see issues with them stepping up to the plate.

Women also need to scrap the idea that because they make the money (or the most money) they are the leader or the "man". NO you're not...you just make more money.

Sadly, most men don't want to be leaders though. I was talking to my girl about this same issue and she didn't believe me (she comes from a very good home so from her perspective every man is like her dad). She went and asked some of friends and she said she was shocked how many of these 20+ year old dudes have 0 desires to be leaders in their relationship.

Her brother realizes it though. He said he really don't have anyone he can really associate with because there's really no other family like theirs, white or black. Parents and both grandparents still together, they eat dinner together every day, they attend church as a family, and she said she's never heard their parents have a single argument. It's sad that having a functional family structure makes you the weirdo nowadays.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Well, I'm not gonna knock her for trying. Its not the answer... but other than Steve Harvey's lil camp I don't see alot of black men stepping to the forefront and attacking the issue head on.

But I just know that Iyanla broad is beyond annoying.

Yeah, that is true. Too many of us men have don't have the spirit of community anymore. I have some ideas that hopefully can grow in the coming years into a huge movement. Only time will tell :manny:

I'm not even gonna front, my conscience bothers me a lot about this. Growing up I've seen my pops give back a wholllllllllllle lot. And outside of some little shyt here and there, I ain't done shyt. I need to start ASAP.

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
Yeah, that is true. Too many of us men have don't have the spirit of community anymore. I have some ideas that hopefully can grow in the coming years into a huge movement. Only time will tell :manny:

I'm not even gonna front, my conscience bothers me a lot about this. Growing up I've seen my pops give back a wholllllllllllle lot. And outside of some little shyt here and there, I ain't done shyt. I need to start ASAP.

I feel the same way, I get to help alot of kids through my job but I really want to get out there and do more to help on my own. But I got 2 kids myself so keeping them on the right track, going to all their games and plays, and going to their schools and talking to their teachers already keeps me busy as shyt and I would feel kinda gulity not giving them my full attention while trying to help other kids...

But the shyt makes me sad sometimes when I go to my son's game and I'm sitting in the stands with one other father and a bunch of single moms with kids whose fathers never come to their games

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I feel the same way, I get to help alot of kids through my job but I really want to get out there and do more to help on my own. But I got 2 kids myself so keeping them on the right track, going to all their games and plays, and going to their schools and talking to their teachers already keeps me busy as shyt and I would feel kinda gulity not giving them my full attention while trying to help other kids...

But the shyt makes me sad sometimes when I go to my son's game and I'm sitting in the stands with one other father and a bunch of single moms with kids whose fathers never come to their games

dont remind me bout that :snoop:
most woman have a hard time believing their are single fathers who wanna do right by their kids or some of us who have custody of their kids raising them on their own like myself

someone the other day was like so u have ur kids for the weekend i was like no they live with me and i raise them myself

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's exactly what I'm saying. Teaching classes and giving advice won't change a persons surroundings. But social/economic advancement will.

but it will help more then it hurts. so never say the classes are not needed(men teaching them of course). they are needed. they can spark something in people to try new things, to do better, etc. its like saying counseling isnt needed. sure it is. it can help. now thats not something you should use a foundation piece. but it helps. especially if you dont have the proper folks around you.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
but it will help more then it hurts. so never say the classes are not needed(men teaching them of course). they are needed. they can spark something in people to try new things, to do better, etc. its like saying counseling isnt needed. sure it is. it can help. now thats not something you should use a foundation piece. but it helps. especially if you dont have the proper folks around you.

I agree. And that was the point of my original post. I said the classes were misguided. People put too much stock in the "out of wedlock" rate. It is a symptom, not the cause. We should concentrate on fixing the cause, then the young men will come to us. As long as they are stuck in their world advice from a different perspective goes in one ear and out the other.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree. And that was the point of my original post. I said the classes were misguided. People put too much stock in the "out of wedlock" rate. It is a symptom, not the cause. We should concentrate on fixing the cause, then the young men will come to us. As long as they are stuck in their world advice from a different perspective goes in one ear and out the other.

WELL its a symptom of racism. you gone fix that bruh?