Oppenheimer (Directed by Christopher nolan)

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
This was a long, drawn out, oddly paced and dull movie.

The affair story was not necessary.

And a lot of mumbling.

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps

After reaching 717M$ worldwide, Oppenheimer is currently:

• 4th highest grossing film of 2023
• 5th highest grossing R-rated film ever
• 4th highest grossing Christopher Nolan film (surpassing Interstellar, only behind TDKR, TDK & Inception)

It's expected to close over 850M$.

Last edited:

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN

• 4th highest grossing Christopher Nolan film (surpassing Interstellar, only behind TDKR, TDK & Inception)

Did Oppenheimer beat Barbie? It feels like Oppenheimer ended up selling more.

Edit:Damn that Barbie movie did a billion? Wtf!

Last edited:

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Thats just nuts wtf!
Called it on the first page :wow:

Braman

Superstar
Daps
I've come to the conclusion that Nolan's (more recent) style of filmmaking isn't for me, and I will no longer watch his films unless he switches up.

That style of rapid jumping from scene to scene, sometimes heavy and pointless dialogue, and tense music playing through out is hard to get through. This film was a slog to finish, just like Tenet. But I'm clearly in the minority with this opinion. :manny:

Loved Oppenheimer. Interstellar blew me away (just saw it). That’s a modern classic

But I could not finish Dunkirk. Could not finish Tenet.

Tenet was honestly frustrating. Bc I could tell he was TRYING to do too much. Also I hate JD Washington’s acting

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Just saw it. Solid film. Falls victim to Nolan's usual issues.

EDIT: Have a little more time to post now.

I thought the movie dragged and at times it wasn't clear exactly what was happening or being implied. I know Nolan does this because he makes his movies to be watched repeatedly.

He could've easily cut 30 minutes out and it would've been a more cohesive film. It also wasn't apparent to me how jealous Strauss was until the very end.

I thought the War perspective could've been built up more to hold the lay person's attention more. I'm actually obsessed with this time period and the subsequent nuclear arms race, but I feel it could've been better projected. I don't necessarily believe in dumbing down for the audience. The problem with a 3 hour long movie is it has to hold your attention. I thought the direness to build a bomb could've been better conveyed if we saw the losses in the field; in Japan and Germany. It didn't need to be full on battle scenes, because it wasn't that kind of movie, but we saw things from Oppie's perspective and how he got drawn into his own world of daydreaming. He could've daydreamed the casualties being inflicted, the hurt Jews were going through, and how this motivated him.

I thought the interplay of Strauss's jealousy and his ascension into Eisenhower's cabinet was contingent in making Oppenheimer into a pariah needed more exposition. It seemed to just happen. Look at a film like The Prestige, he built the cat and mouse aggravation up better. And while that was fantasy and this is a biopic, some more creative liberties could've been taken besides the Einstein and courtroom joke scenes to make Strauss more aggrieved. I get folks in that time took public slights even worse than we do now believe it or not; I mean Oppenheimer put cyanide in his professor's apple for God's sake; but I just feel another scene or two making a mockery of Strauss into someone intellectually inferior to Oppenheimer would've sealed it.

Those seem like big criticisms, but in general I loved the movie. I just think there could've been a few tweaks to make it into one of Nolan's better films. Sitting with it right now, it might be middle of the pack. Which for me believe it or not is high praise given Nolan is a top 10 all-time director for me.

Last edited:

Braman

Superstar
Daps
This was a long, drawn out, oddly paced and dull movie.

The affair story was not necessary.

And a lot of mumbling.

:gucci:

The affair:

1- Was one of his first potential communist links

2- Established (both irl and for the movie) the humanity of this ‘better than everyone else’ type figure. It showed he was capable of feelings as well as capable of cheating, deception, lying

3- Provided the only time in the movie he was off his square. When he broke down when she died, and when he started juelzing about her in the trial

4- I mean…they might of (probably) killed her. It added to our understanding of how serious things were. The fact that it’s kinda open ended and mildly insinuated is historically pertinent. It establishes how powerful a foe he was later up against

5- The foundation of a security clearance is do you have any contact with terrorists (communists). They ask you in like 3 different ways. His link to her was arguably the foundation of the entire trial

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
:gucci:

The affair:

1- Was one of his first potential communist links

2- Established (both irl and for the movie) the humanity of this ‘better than everyone else’ type figure. It showed he was capable of feelings as well as capable of cheating, deception, lying

3- Provided the only time in the movie he was off his square. When he broke down when she died, and when he started juelzing about her in the trial

4- I mean…they might of (probably) killed her. It added to our understanding of how serious things were. The fact that it’s kinda open ended and mildly insinuated is historically pertinent. It establishes how powerful a foe he was later up against

5- The foundation of a security clearance is do you have any contact with terrorists (communists). They ask you in like 3 different ways. His link to her was arguably the foundation of the entire trial
His brother was his initial communist link.

She wasn’t necessary at all, and while Florence Pugh has a good white woman body, we didn’t need her nude either.