Oppenheimer (Directed by Christopher nolan)

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
First there will minor and major spoilers. The major spoilers are in the spoiler tag. Not a Nolan stan. His last 3 movies have been mid to boring. I saw this 70mm and not Imax unfortunately.

Again, minor spoilers. If you don't wanna know anything skip this review.

1) Should this have been 3 hours? And to me, yes. I have no problem with it. The 1st 2hrs are one movie. Then it switches to a different type of the last hour.

2) Is this Oscar worthy? I'd say yes. The visuals, special effects. The use of color, black and white. All works. The script. But individual performances? None are bad but to me, the only 1 who should undoubtly get one is Matt Damon. Matt really felt he brought life to this movie. Dr. Opp? He's pretty even kilt. I really didn't feel him into the last hour. To me, his lines are fine. But I never felt throughout (he def had some scenes) like this is his movie and he's carrying on his back. I'm sure some disagee but that's just me. Same thing with Robert Downing Jr. Like he's straight. But they really didn't let him get in his bag. But he'll probably get an Oscar nod. (Emily Blount) Dr, Opp wife, is just annoying. Should have strapped a bomb to her.

3) Sound- Again, I didn't see it in Imax. But sound or the lack there of is a major character in this movie. He really built suspense on some parts. And really gave that Dark Knight feel with that sinister music.

4) Dialogue- My biggest worry about this film but he delivered. This movie is not slow. It jumps from scene to scene pretty quickly. He ain't really doing some slow character development. He's telling a story and trying to get us to what we've been waiting for. Now, the downside is I really didn't connect with Dr. Opp because of that. In fact, it wasn't his movie. He's sorta like Dr. King and the Civil Rights movement. Yeah, he's the leader. Now, it eventually becomes "his movie". And you'll know when it happens.

Now, the major spoilers. Again, you have been warned.

The 1st 2 hours is really just a build up to the atomic bomb. Building a team. Trial and error. Trying to get know Dr. Opp who is a flawed person. Got a wife and a side piece. Can't balance the 2. Arrogant. Got the government thinking he's an opp (had to do the corny joke). And just a race again other countries trying to be first with the bomb.

Now, the testing atomic bomb scene was worth the wait. It really through me off because sound wise, it did not go as I expected. But visually it was dope. I did not mind not seeing Japan get bomb. The consequences were good enough to me.

That last hour, Nolan got in his bag. The visuals when Dr. Opp realized what he had done after Japan. The crowd viewing him as a hero. And how it changed him. Man, that was just a classic scene. Jay's lyrics from "So Appalled" summed it. The hero became the villian. I really loved the back and forth in the hearing. That last hour really went by quick.

Overall, this is the best non-animated film this year. I can't put it over Spiderverse because visually it was too groundbreaking. I had the "Matrix 1st time feeling" with some the of the visuals. But as a film this definitely Oscar worthy. Checks all the boxes. He just didn't need to make this rated R. Losing money in the name of art over some 5-10 second sex scene? When it could have been PG-13. Just stupid.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
Saw it a few hours ago. Not the biggest Nolan fan but this is up there for me. Not the revelation people made it out to seem but it's a great movie and was amazing in 70mm IMAX

All the comments about the pacing are 100% true. It doesn't nearly feel like 3 hours

Last edited: