Oppenheimer (Directed by Christopher nolan)

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
It's one of those movies where someone like Nolan reads a bio on someone, and decides to do a movie.

Like Fincher with Mank

Not saying no one wants to see this, because obviously they do, even I am getting more curious, but what I mean is that it has no real appeal and would never get made without Nolan taking an interest.

Which maybe goes without saying, but yeah, a 3 hour long story about building a nuclear weapon in Las Vegas in the 40's, doesn't really sound like an exciting watch to me.
Oppenheimer had a very interesting life. The bomb ia what he was best known for. As important was the way the American government scapegoated and stabbed him in the back a decade later due to Cold War tensions and his anti arms race stance.

He was tried in a non judicial kangaroo court basically and Edward Teller, who worked for him on the Manhattan Project and later invented the hydrogen bomb, gave suspect testimony that sold him out. Teller became the darling of the military industrial complex after that but the whole US physics community bushed him as a sellout.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
It's one of those movies where someone like Nolan reads a bio on someone, and decides to do a movie.

Like Fincher with Mank

Not saying no one wants to see this, because obviously they do, even I am getting more curious, but what I mean is that it has no real appeal and would never get made without Nolan taking an interest.

Which maybe goes without saying, but yeah, a 3 hour long story about building a nuclear weapon in Las Vegas in the 40's, doesn't really sound like an exciting watch to me.
Ww2 content will hit more often than not

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
I didn't say Interstellar was hard to understand. I just don't think it's a good movie. The entire premise is ridiculous and illogical and the resolution is basically deux ex machina.

The only part of Interstellar I like is the Matt Damon arc.
I think interstellar was one of the best movies to come out in the last 20 years, maybe even longer, definitely one of the better space movies of all time

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Heisenberg if he was alive would like a word with you. Heisenberg was leading the nuclear program for the Nazis, so what narrative is false? The allied forces were indeed trying to create the nuke before the Nazis did.
My problem is the implication in the trailer that this project was a completely altruistic mission to overcome the evil Nazis feels revisionist because America was complicit with the Nazi's rise to power.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali

Like Fincher with Mank

This is exactly what I was thinking

TM101

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My problem is the implication in the trailer that this project was a completely altruistic mission to overcome the evil Nazis feels revisionist because America was complicit with the Nazi's rise to power.
I'd watch but I think its going to be a 3 hour promotion for Anglo-Saxon white supremacy.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah. Nolan already said they going to show both sides. Pretty sure they going to show Oppenheimer regret working on it. Movie is supposed to be brutally honest take. Nolan also isnt one to make a hoorah america! Movie

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I pick up something completely different from the trailer, that they used the over arching "boogeyman" theme to produce a weapon capable of immense death & destruction. I mean, it seemed rather evident in the first look they released. I would be rather shocked if Nolan made the movie you're expecting

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

People who seen it have said the ending will have people debate over the merits of what happened. Saying it'll be controversial. I don't think Nolan is at all trying to propagandize this picture. But want people to have a legit discussion over why the bomb was even created and used.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
People who seen it have said the ending will have people debate over the merits of what happened. Saying it'll be controversial. I don't think Nolan is at all trying to propagandize this picture. But want people to have a legit discussion over why the bomb was even created and used.
That discussion has already started. I had one earlier today. I made the comment that it sounds like the films ends on a powerful downer, and I had some rah-rah America guy reply, "Downer my ass. The bomb saved millions of lives and helped put an end to the war." I replied back by saying while the bomb did save millions of American and Japanese lives, the very same device has been used multiple times as a fear tactic and things have almost come to blows where it was once again used a few times in history (Cuban Missile Crisis, September 26, 1983, etc.) which was Robert's big fear. There was also the fact that he lived with extreme guilt and was haunted by what the bomb did in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, and it also put even more strain on the frenzied relationship with his family. I'd definitely call that a downer of an ending if that's where the movie takes us. While I think that guy misconstrued what I meant by the term "powerful downer," I still think it's good that discussions like that are happening.