Oppenheimer (Directed by Christopher nolan)

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Dunkirk was an action movie, however boring... People will line up for those, especially WWII movies.. This is a drama.. If this was a movie about dropping the bomb, I wouldn't be questioning it

I'm thinking 300 million world wide (Dunkirk did 500)
I wouldn't call Dunkirk an action film, it's definitely a war film slash drama.

At CinemaCon, Christopher Nolan previewed footage of his period biopic Oppenheimer, revealing that it isn't just a biographical drama but a pulse-pounding thriller. Nolan's Oppenheimer looks just as epic as any of his previous movies, and with a budget of $100 million and literally recreating huge explosions, it could be his most epic yet. Up until now, the movie has always seemed like a stripped-back narrative with an isolated story about the physicist's inner turmoil and struggle. But after Universal's presentation at CinemaCon, it has been all but confirmed that the movie will be just as much of a genre mash-up as any of Nolan's other movies.
Universal has put so much into Oppenheimer, as the studio isn't focusing on any other movie three weeks before or three weeks after the biopic's release. It has a theatrical window of at least 100 days too, so it's totally unsurprising that the film was heavily showcased to theatre owners at CinemaCon. While Nolan dropped a bunch of hyperbolic declarations, it was the footage that did the real talking, and it's way more than just a biopic.

So according to Nolan, this isn't going to be a boring, run of the mill historical biography. :manny:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I wouldn't call Dunkirk an action film, it's definitely a war film slash drama.

So according to Nolan, this isn't going to be a boring, run of the mill historical biography. :manny:
I never saw these so that's promising.. All Universal backed up the BRINKS boy.. 100 days.. All IMAX... I can't even imagine the PR budget...

Let me move my estimate up to 500 million

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Daps
Do we see the competing films he has to go up against?
As mentioned earlier upthread Tom Cruise's Mission Impossible comes out 10 days prior I believe and will be competing for those IMAX screens.
Also I think the new Barbie movie comes out that weekend but I wouldn't think that they are playing to the same audience.

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
As mentioned earlier upthread Tom Cruise's Mission Impossible comes out 10 days prior I believe and will be competing for those IMAX screens.
Also I think the new Barbie movie comes out that weekend but I wouldn't think that they are playing to the same audience.
No... He won't

Nolan secured a 3 week IMAX exclusive contract... So they will be competing.. It just won't be at IMAX... Tom is FUMING

But yea.. Those are the movies. And people just aren't going 3-4 times a week like that. Most will pick one movie to go to, especially if they have to bring the kids to Barbie and spend $150

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
What these two need to do is collaborate but they out here beefin’ over IMAX screens. :dead:

It’s an approach I would like to see happen and it’d be interesting if Quentin was the one to do it. Drop a 20 second teaser with nothing but the caption “The 10th Final Film from Quentin Tarantino” and fukkin shadow-drop that shyt. Which studio will okay that? Probably none.:pachaha:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
That’s perfect. I can’t see this being a good move for the up-and-comers but Hayao’s name has so much clout in the animated realm to where his team can get away with it.

“There’s an American movie — ah, I almost said the title out loud! — coming out this summer around the same time [as How Do You Live?] ...They’ve made three trailers for it, and released them one at a time. If you watch all three, you know everything that’s going to happen in that movie. So how do moviegoers feel about that? There must be people, who, after watching all the trailers, don’t want to actually go see the movie. So, I wanted to do the opposite of that.”

He knows. :wow:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Side note I don't know why more directors don't do that. Trailers have been giving away movies for years. I have to stop most of the trailers for movies I want to see
I was watching the Eastern Conference Finals the other week and they played a Flash trailer so long that took up all of the commercial break. :wtf:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
FyHHx8kWIAIrXv1
Florence Pugh

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People who think this movie will flop are hilarious. Nolan is a god tier director with a huge fan base and Cicillian Murphy is one of the best actors alive and has a die hard fanbase due to peaky blinders and his immense skill. Then the biopic is one of the most interesting and important people in modern history. Last movie i saw in theaters was batman. Me and my lady will be there day one. We dont even have imax theaters in our state and she was looking into seeing if a roadtrip was possible lol. In Nolan & Murphy we trust.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nope is not a comedy. :dahell:

Nolan brought in a fukk ton of money with Dunkirk. I know it wasn't rated R but in most circumstances it would have been. Doubt him at your own peril
Speaking of Dunkirk i see why Nolan had the issue with WB over streaming. They just put Dunkirk on netflix and the opening scene is a complete flop because the sound quality is cheap and horrendous. Even though it has one of the most intense openings

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
People who think this movie will flop are hilarious. Nolan is a god tier director with a huge fan base and Cicillian Murphy is one of the best actors alive and has a die hard fanbase due to peaky blinders and his immense skill. Then the biopic is one of the most interesting and important people in modern history. Last movie i saw in theaters was batman. Me and my lady will be there day one. We dont even have imax theaters in our state and she was looking into seeing if a roadtrip was possible lol. In Nolan & Murphy we trust.
First we need to determine what's a flop? Movie cost $100 million to make. They say advertising is usually equal to the budget so $200 million... Then you need double that to break even... So this needs to make $400 million just to break even

Do I think it'll do that.... Probably.. Tenet did $365 but people said they couldn't understand it... But do I think it'll do $500 million? Hell nah

For a non war, period piece? Yea... I'm going to put my numbers in the $400-$500 million range and that's PUSHING it. Cause I doubt most of the world, especially Asia, is in a rush to see America triumph again