Only 17% of Black 12th graders nationally are proficient in literacy.

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
We got a culture problem. Everybody knows it except us apparently.

A culture that literally makes black kids (specifically the boys) EMBARRASSED to be seen as smart, respectful, well-spoken & well-behaved.

A culture that forces lots of our youth to dumb themselves down in order to fit in with what they see in popular culture or else be viewed as "lame" (or even white :snoop: ) and having no friends or even teased and bullied.

We also have an image problem. Alot of black youth simply can't imagine themselves doing anything besides being posted up on the block, dribbling a basketball or rapping.
While I agree that there is a serious cultural problem there isn’t a stigma about being well-spoken or smart . The stigma comes from being corny, which is a thing across all cultures.

We do embrace the goofy ratchet shyt far more than others though because it’s relatable to too many of us .

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Have you looked at the state of the black community? What it considers entertaining? The people our children look up to? There is practically zero critical thinking being exercised by black people. We are uneducated zombies, by and large, drones programmed to do what massa has inputted in our brains. Open your eyes and stop being in denial.

:unimpressed:

Shut up c00n!!

Native Americans are doing just as badly, they are at 17% proficient

Its a problem of structural entrenched racism that has caused a rot.

vino

Superstar
Daps
a lot of folks cant afford those programs real talk

BTW i commend you on that, what programs do you have your children in?

I had them Kumon then switch to Best Brains. I also, called the library to utilize these bundle pick ups. The books are coded to match the school reading curriculum and to ensure they’re reading at level. We switch the bundle of books out bi-weekly or so. Then I signed up for the library reading program, this program incentivizes them based how many books are read.

I will say, we speak with our school administrators often and volunteer. They will connect you with all the free resources provided from your school district. (for those that can’t afford the Kumon/Best Brains). My oldest completed a a free math program this summer. The met her, virtually, every morning.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
There really ain't, it starts at home, my parents left books out in the open, you don't even need to buy books anymore

We had Levar Burton on Reading Rainbow too, ppl don't know how encouraging that was, at least to me as a jit :to:
you know what man, i really try not to talk negative about our people but this i got to say in relation to the bold.

when i was a tech for comcast, i noticed SUBSTANTIAL differences in lifestyle choices between all races of people. when i go in someone's house, i get nosey and look around.

one thing i noticed about most white, Asian, Indian households - BOOKS, and a lot of them. real estate, investing, art, history, religion, etc.

when i worked in black homes, man no disrespect to our people but it was always primarily a single, young mother and hardly any books. primarily magazines and stuff and I'm not talking about anything beneficial.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I had them Kumon then switch to Best Brains. I also, called the library to utilize these bundle pick ups. The books are coded to match the school reading curriculum and to ensure they’re reading at level. We switch the bundle of books out bi-weekly or so. Then I signed up for the library reading program, this program incentivizes them based how many books are read.

I will say, we speak with our school administrators often and volunteer. They will connect you with all the free resources provided from your school district. (for those that can’t afford the Kumon/Best Brains). My oldest completed a a free math program this summer. The met her, virtually, every morning.

You listed free sh*t and parent participation.. A winning formula. :salute:

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Consistently staring at a phone screen will f*ck up your attention span. Concentration because extremely difficult if your trying to block out hours of tic-tok videos dancing around your head.
Oh, stop it with this. If you look at the numbers linked in that article, it's always been like this.

black1g9evx.jpg