Only 17% of Black 12th graders nationally are proficient in literacy.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
There’s not a competitive focus on education. I have my my kids in a lot math and english programs. I unfortunately only see Asian and Indians there. I rarely see other Black kids.
a lot of folks cant afford those programs real talk

BTW i commend you on that, what programs do you have your children in?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even if you double that number its...barely 40%

Lets be honest...with the loss of affirmative action we're in for a MAJOR deficient but... what it takes to get out of that :wow:

Affirmative action has never been awarded to anyone who was barely literate. If a black person was awarded affirmative action, they were qualified to begin with

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps
No excuse for this.

Can't blame the white man, bc even slaves taught each other how to read.

There really ain't, it starts at home, my parents left books out in the open, you don't even need to buy books anymore

We had Levar Burton on Reading Rainbow too, ppl don't know how encouraging that was, at least to me as a jit :to:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Don't believe everything you read. I know what I see in real life, and I don't see 5 in 6 kids having the deficiencies they tell us we have. Go outside and talk to real people.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
:patrice:Like >20% of Black high school seniors go to college. Something seems off though I don't doubt huge parts of our community have reading comprehension issues.
a lot of comprehension issues stem from not being able to focus.

that can either be environment related

or

do you guys think that some of these kids have issues with ADD, and have gone unnoticed due to lack of medical coverage?

Daps
🧢

Don’t fall for this bullshyt. Do y’all honestly believe just 12% of black high school kids are literate?!
Have you looked at the state of the black community? What it considers entertaining? The people our children look up to? There is practically zero critical thinking being exercised by black people. We are uneducated zombies, by and large, drones programmed to do what massa has inputted in our brains. Open your eyes and stop being in denial.

:unimpressed:

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
a lot of comprehension issues stem from not being able to focus.

that can either be environment related

or

do you guys think that some of these kids have issues with ADD, and have gone unnoticed due to lack of medical coverage?

Consistently staring at a phone screen will f*ck up your attention span. Concentration because extremely difficult if your trying to block out hours of tic-tok videos dancing around your head.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Out of curiosity, how is this stat quantified? Does anyone know?
See here: NAEP Reading: National Achievement-Level Results

NAEP has four levels: Below Basic, Basic, Proficient, and Advanced

Proficient is a level of mastery. Black folks are lowest but at 17%, not 12%, though it isn't much better. But NAEP Proficient is not literacy.

Only 50% of Asians and 47% of Whites achieved NAEP Proficient for comparison. Along with us Native Americans were at 23% and Hispanics at 25%.

There is a problem though in 50% of Blacks are Below Basic and only 1% are advanced. Compare that with 10% of Whites and 13% of Asians at Advanced and only 21% of Whites below basic. So yeah, for half of us basic functional literacy is tentative.

What is crazier is 30 years ago in 1992 only 39% of Black people were below Basic so shyt is going downhill.

Last edited: