Online Only Games Running This Generation?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:patrice:

I remember gamers as a whole shytting on MS and their initial XONE reveal for attempting to release an "always online console". Fast forward to now, and it seems like the biggest games released on console are games that are actually "always online"

:jbhmm:

We've seen more console games released this generation without single player campaigns than ever before.

We were bytching about something that we've all come to accept anyway... just a thought.
I said this back then. People were just complaining to complain.

In reality we are all connected all the time, and we generally enjoy the benefits being connected bring.

teacher

All Star
Daps
yeah ok keep thinking the majority of the industry gives a fukk about that. its shifting to a new era in console gaming so vote with your wallet bullshyt is absurd :francis:

you have to expect that from a guy who spends 600+ for JUST a gpu every couple of years

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There's a big difference between M$'s online only console and online centric games. Online only sounded like you'd be locked out the console in the event you couldn't access the internet every 24 hours for unforeseen reasons.

Online only games are so few and far apart. Sure, there are popular games that are online only but those games are minuscule compared to the amount of games out there.

Battlefront, Destiny.. and The Division. I can't think of any other games that are popular that are online only.

Compare that to every game we've been getting for the past 2+ years that aren't online only. Online only aren't running things. People aren't opposed to online games, they're opposed to games being ONLY online and having other things locked to online connections.

Bloodborne
MGSV
Fallout 4
Witcher 3
Until Dawn
Dragon Age
Batman AK
Far Cry
Rayman
Infamous
TLOU
GTA V
Sunset Overdrive
Driveclub
Forza Horizon

So no, online only isn't running things. If you're going by sales then it'd seem like it but there's plenty of games that are huge that aren't online only. Hell, most of the highest anticipated games of this year aren't focused solely online(Though they have MP elements in them):
UC4
FFXV
P5
Ratchet
Mirrors Edge
Horizon Zero Dawn
QB
Dark Souls 3

Last edited:

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
One could say that the potential for online only games is greater than what we've gotten used to on consoles over the last few gens.

I mean the most popular games are online MP. People rip on a game like TF for no SP but statistics show that most don't even touch the campaign in COD or BF. I don't mind online only(I mean who doesn't have consistent internet these days except the poor?)

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
:patrice:

I remember gamers as a whole shytting on MS and their initial XONE reveal for attempting to release an "always online console". Fast forward to now, and it seems like the biggest games released on console are games that are actually "always online"

:jbhmm:

We've seen more console games released this generation without single player campaigns than ever before.

We were bytching about something that we've all come to accept anyway... just a thought.

Been saying this shyt since Titanfall was about to drop. A lot of games are selling for multiplayer experiences. People claim they buy shooters especially for single player but I NEVER hear nikkas talking about Call of Duty's campaigns EVER.

We can act like we care about single player campaigns in a lot of these games but we'll touch them once at most and then put hundreds of hours into MP because that's what the bread and butter of these games are, and with everything being tied to servers, it's only a matter of time before we're forced to the next iteration.

Granted shyt isn't "always online" or "online only" like X1 was going to be, the idea is you'll pretty much need internet/xbl/psn to successfully play these games frequently.

Last edited:

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
It does.
Lost Internet for a minute, they took my ass directly out my fukking game and to the menu screen.
Ain't saved shyt, either.
"We took you back to the main screen 'cause you lost access to the server."
:beli:

Plus the few times I'm not on XBL and try and boot my shyt up, they let you know they can't give me no VC 'cause I ain't connected.
Your saves in 2k aren't tied to the cloud anymore, at least not the franchise mode you can save those files locally so u can play ur season when u have no internet. I think your right about the VC tho u can't get that unless ur connected

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I mean the most popular games are online MP. People rip on a game like TF for no SP but statistics show that most don't even touch the campaign in COD or BF. I don't mind online only(I mean who doesn't have consistent internet these days except the poor?)

So poor people in poor countries should be excluded from the table even tho they bought the console? What about expats that live in countries with average Internet speeds. What about the soldiers deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq with nothing to kill time other than his PlayStation? What about us old school gamers that just don't like online multiplayer? You leave a lot of people out by doing this.

I hate this new trend, I have a life I can't put in hours every day to be good enough to compete online.. So why should I have to be forced to play a game where I am going to be terrible because I can't practice.

I miss the days where games just let you pick up and play for a hour or so and keep it moving..

Daps
That software as a service concept. You can thank WoW, Facebook, and mobile games for this. If you are always online, where/how you spend your money and time can always be monitored, and that info used to squeeze as much money out of you as possible. Don't expect it to change

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
So poor people in poor countries should be excluded from the table even tho they bought the console? What about expats that live in countries with average Internet speeds. What about the soldiers deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq with nothing to kill time other than his PlayStation? What about us old school gamers that just don't like online multiplayer? You leave a lot of people out by doing this.

I hate this new trend, I have a life I can't put in hours every day to be good enough to compete online.. So why should I have to be forced to play a game where I am going to be terrible because I can't practice.

I miss the days where games just let you pick up and play for a hour or so and keep it moving..

What a stupid post

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
What a stupid post
what was stupid about what I said?
Just because YOU like online only games, that doesn't equate to the average gamer liking online only games.. I am overseas where the internet isn't great so ALL of these types of games are a pain in the ass to play.. How am I stupid for not liking this trend?