One Mic History: Why Black folks LOVE a well done steak

ConPHIdential

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Raised in a Jamaican household. You cook everything well done.

When I went into the restaurant industry and learned how to properly cook a steak, I felt I turned my back on my heritage. :mjlol:

Ain’t no way in hell I eat any steak well done. It’s Mid rare with some charred shallots, onion and compound butter. :ohlawd:

I grew up on “well done” as well.

As I got older I saw the light. “Medium” or “Medium-Well” for me now.

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama
I'm not soo big on steak 🥩 when it comes to my choice of red meat but I've never had a medium rare or below steak.

With that said, not all well-done steaks 🥩 are dry, flavorless, tough, etc. in texture...you can have a juicy, flavorful, well-done steak, too, if cooked properly; I've seen it done before.

That is true, depends on the cut

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Depends on the cut. I like a medium rare steak or even rare but there has to be a good char on the outside.

But until my 20s I was a well done guy because that's all I knew. Hell my dad likes his steaks basically burnt.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

It depends on the cut. If you're eating a shyt steak from Walmart. You might as well cook that bytch well done. There ain't no flavor profile on it.

The same mfs thatll swear about rare and medium rare likely still eat beef jerky.

Steaks and cigars range from terrible to great. And it depends where you get them, where they come from, who processed them, the age and quality.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
It depends on the cut. If you're eating a shyt steak from Walmart. You might as well cook that bytch well done. There ain't no flavor profile on it.

The same mfs thatll swear about rare and medium rare likely still eat beef jerky.

Steaks and cigars range from terrible to great. And it depends where you get them, where they come from, who processed them, the age and quality.
As a jerky enthusiast, that is NOT steak :ufdup: Its thinly sliced for a reason. Good jerky is hard as hell to find tho :mjcry:

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As a jerky enthusiast, that is NOT steak :ufdup: Its thinly sliced for a reason. Good jerky is hard as hell to find tho :mjcry:

Not all jerky is thin. Sliced. Or dry. That's a matter of choice and preference.

I actually have a connect at the jacks links jerky plant. I can get a fresh bag from her. It's like a 5lb cryovac sealed bag, thick cuts.

I have to separate and put it into little bag myself. Stomach hurts like a mf after eating basically an unlimited supply.

shyts good though. shyts tender. Juicy.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Not all jerky is thin. Sliced. Or dry. That's a matter of choice and preference.

I actually have a connect at the jacks links jerky plant. I can get a fresh bag from her. It's like a 5lb cryovac sealed bag, thick cuts.

I have to separate and put it into little bag myself. Stomach hurts like a mf after eating basically an unlimited supply.

shyts good though. shyts tender. Juicy.
I know, the point was jerky =/= steak... but Jack Links?! :dahell:
The Small Batch series is decent but I haven't seen it in years. I can't stand the rest

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I know, the point was jerky =/= steak... but Jack Links?! :dahell:
The Small Batch series is decent but I haven't seen it in years. I can't stand the rest

Yeah. They basically are a processing plant. They make all types of shyt there. A lot of shyt that's not for sale in stores. Shes works there I'm thinking I'm getting bullshyt beef sticks and packs of jerky. Then she came through. I'll provide pics next time I place an order.

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
Once you go medium well. Well done can go to hell
This was my entry
Couldn’t believe how different and better the steak tasted

I felt bad burning up good meat like I used to

Now I’m at medium and content with it. I tried medium rare, but it was at a shytty steakhouse. I think Texas or Logan’s?