• Gangstarr

Votes: 111 55.2%

• Total voters

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
absolutely not. I grew up in that era. I had Schooly albums. they didnt invent it, but NWA took shyt to another level. the storytelling, the charisma of Eazy, the production. they were so big and probably would be the consensus choice for first industry plants. they really took that gansta shyt some place else in terms of sales and popularity. Exponentially better than Ice T and introduced you to D.O.C. who was an unofficial member and influenced Above the Law. no need to even speak on Dre's or Cube's individual achievements.

youre missing the point.

the point is, that groups like Wu & mobb would've still been doing what they were doing if NWA never existed, even if they were fans of NWA.

that's also what I mean by saying that NWA gets too much credit, but a lot of people took that comment out of context as well.

Capone was down with JM, not CNN. Had he signed with them, he probably wouldve been on some slightly different shyt, more geared towards radio. Capone was actually a part of the "Mobb" he is on their album cover and mentioned in their early songs. Trag executive produced CNN who was heavily influenced by Mobb. Nore REPEATEDLY says if there was no Mobb Deep there would be no CNN. They were almost clones when it came to content/concept. you can go as far as to say Trag molded them in the form of Mobb.

I see the mobb influence in CNN, but CNN had their own style/sound/content/concept.

and they had their own influence over artists who weren't influenced by mobb.

Capone fits in with junior mafia like a glove, but yea, his stuff would've been slightly different if he joined them.

Son. U losing Pac’s last 2 albums. All Eyez On Me and 7 Day Theory. U losing Warran G’s Regulate. Etc etc. U lose the Above The Rim soundtrack. U sure bout this? Lol

No Ruthless or Bone Thugs n Harmony either. NWA should be going NOWHERE on people’s lists. Lol

meh.

death row took a backseat on that "above the rim" soundtrack, if we're being honest.

some of these artists like bone thug, would've got signed regardless. altho, bone might not have had the right babysitter/mentor/mastermind had they signed elsewhere.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

youre missing the point.

the point is, that groups like Wu & mobb would've still been doing what they were doing if NWA never existed, even if they were fans of NWA.

that's also what I mean by saying that NWA gets too much credit, but a lot of people took that comment out of context as well.

I see the mobb influence in CNN, but CNN had their own style/sound/content/concept.

Capone fits in with junior mafia like a glove, but yea, his stuff would've been slightly different if he joined them.

meh.

death row took a backseat on that "above the rim" soundtrack, if we're being honest.

some of these artists like bone thug, would've got signed regardless. altho, bone might not have had the right babysitter/mentor/mastermind had they signed elsewhere.
Fam. These projects don’t come together the way they did if it wasn’t for these people existing. U can’t just be creating ur own future for nikkas. Lol. A lot of stars aligned for some of this shyt to happen.

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
Gangstarr can get all the way the fukk up outtahere.....:camby:

luv you tho premo....
full

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Fam. These projects don’t come together the way they did if it wasn’t for these people existing. U can’t just be creating ur own future for nikkas. Lol. A lot of stars aligned for some of this shyt to happen.

:comeon:

if you read my post in its entirety, you will see that I made note of that already.

hell, in some of these cases, we would've been better off with the stars aligning differently.

If there wasn’t an NWA there probably isn’t a Biggie and artists influenced by him or a Bad Boy as we know it. Not to mention the influence they had on the South and the Midwest.

AGAIN yall gotta cut it out.

I get it. NWA was the most mainstream. that's great but all that gangsta chit started with schooly d. west philly PSK. cmon now. NWA themselves will tell you that.
and west coast gangsta rap, down south & Midwest street chit all exists without NWA. it had already spread before NWA jumped in.

don't even get me started on people like kool g. rap who is the most directly responsible for that mid-90s era of east coast hip-hop - which is what sparked this argument.
mobb deep, wutang, etc. all that still pops off without NWA's existence.

you mention biggie, but his main west coast influence was king tee. not no NWA.
and speaking of schooly d, heres biggie covering his record right here.
and for the bul that tried to say that dudes like schooly d, ice t and them didn't have lasting influence, heres Gucci mane remaking another song of his, albeit loosely.

Last edited:

AQz

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Did u read the thread premise?
That means Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Eazy E, Death Row Records, Ruthless Records, Snoop, Aftermath Records, Pac’s All Eyez On Me and Makaveli, Bone Thugs n Harmony, etc etc doesn’t exist.
I’m ok with all of that

qnsfinest

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
Just off catalogue as a group, not counting individual albums.

Wu -> Mobb -> Gangstarr -> NWA

But I can’t imagine HipHop without Dre and Cube. Both got albums in my top 10.

Mobb got an album in my top 5.

Wu got 2 albums in my top 5.

Gangstarr got none in my top. Love Guru, legendary MC, Preemo Greatest producer of all time.

Gangstarr gotta go. It would be hard, but I can live without his beats. You’re removing a lot of classic beats and songs, but you’re not erasing many classic albums

Sweet Pea

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lakers

:comeon:

if you read my post in its entirety, you will see that I made note of that already.

hell, in some of these cases, we would've been better off with the stars aligning differently.

AGAIN yall gotta cut it out.

I get it. NWA was the most mainstream. that's great but all that gangsta chit started with schooly d. west philly PSK. NWA themselves will tell you that.

don't even get me started on people like kool g. rap who is the most directly responsible for that mid-90s era of east coast hip-hop.
mobb deep, wutang, etc. all that still pops off without NWA's existence.

you mention biggie, but his main west coast influence was king tee. not no NWA.
and speaking of schooly d, heres biggie covering his record right here.
and for the bul that tried to say that dudes like schooly d, ice t and them didn't have lasting influence, heres Gucci mane remaking another song of his, albeit loosely.

I would never discredit Schoolly D but if it wasn’t for Ice T most people wouldn’t of even known he started gangster rap. You would’ve had New York nikkas claiming Krs, Just Ice, or G Rap started gangster rap if he hadn’t came out and said something. And the rest of the world would’ve believed NWA started it like they’ve been fed.

And I mentioned Bad Boy and Biggie because they’ve said Death Row influenced them and Death Row falls under the NWA tree. I didn’t say anything about Mobb Deep or the rest of the East.

Also King Tee blew up with Dj Pooh producing for him and like I said earlier Pooh said he learned from Dre if you want to take it deeper.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
I would never discredit Schoolly D but if it wasn’t for Ice T most people wouldn’t of even known he started gangster rap. You would’ve had New York nikkas claiming Krs, Just Ice, or G Rap started gangster rap if he hadn’t came out and said something. And the rest of the world would’ve believed NWA started it like they’ve been fed.

the problem is, youre speaking from the perspective of someone who didn't get into rap until about a decade or more later and making assumptions based on what is taught by Viacom & such.

people in real-time knew all about schooly d. youre under the impression that he was some local yocal. these rappers that youre speaking on were around in real-time and know better. I have footage of him being mentioned by MTV for pete's sake.

NWA themselves are on record multiple times, speaking on the influence that schooly d had on them.

and btw, NWA is the last group that I would get rid of on this list. im just saying, they get too much credit.
similar to the way Rakim gets way more credit than he deserves, because people don't care to learn their history.

And I mentioned Bad Boy and Biggie because they’ve said Death Row influenced them and Death Row falls under the NWA tree. I didn’t say anything about Mobb Deep or the rest of the East.

Also King Tee blew up with Dj Pooh producing for him and like I said earlier Pooh said he learned from Dre if you want to take it deeper.

dog, artists are influenced by lots of different artists. not just one act.
but clearly death row wasn't the main influence over bad boy and its not even close. but people tend to pick & choose what they want to run with. puffy gave death row props for one thing, and then people run with is as if they were death row disciples. nevermind the fact that bad boy and a slew of other labels were directly modeled after uptown records. nobody talks about that on these forums tho.

did dj pooh teach king tee how to rap?? and did dre give those pointers to pooh??? youre doing a lot of reaching with that one.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

youre missing the point.

look at the premise of OP tho. no D.O.C., no A.T.L., the production influence is crazy, especially with g-funk sound, CubeVision and all the movies including 3 Fridays, no Beats headphone deal, etc..

Juvenile Hell came out in 1990. Although Trag came slightly before Mobb Deep, he was still Intelligent Hoodlum when JH came out and Mobb had started to define that style. I am not saying that Mobb started the style either, but when Shook Ones came it was a wrap and Trag converted his style and became Khadafi. He was looking for a group to model after Mobb and thats exactly what he did. of course their voices and flows werent exactly like Mobb, and I am not saying Kiam and Victor wouldnt be rappers, but there wouldnt be a CNN as we know it. if you ask NORE right now, he has no problem agreeing that there would be no CNN if there was no Mobb. Nore said his biggest influence was Biz Markie and Pone was on that ladies man vibe before he got up with M.O.B.B. Due to the success of Bad Boy, those commercial joints almost washed out the grimy NY thug sound, CNN helped to bring it back and that ended up being the style to last up until current day while that other shyt played out.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
look at the premise of OP tho. no D.O.C., no A.T.L., the production influence is crazy, especially with g-funk sound, CubeVision and all the movies including 3 Fridays, no Beats headphone deal, etc..

i seem to be misunderstood. im not arguing about any of that stuff(altho I could care less about cubeVision and some overpriced headphones).

I was shutting down the idea that the mobb deeps, wutangs, etc wouldn't exist without NWA. that was some str8 bullchit. thats what i was arguing about.

you see what im saying now??

Juvenile Hell came out in 1990. Although Trag came slightly before Mobb Deep, he was still Intelligent Hoodlum when JH came out and Mobb had started to define that style. I am not saying that Mobb started the style either, but when Shook Ones came it was a wrap and Trag converted his style and became Khadafi. He was looking for a group to model after Mobb and thats exactly what he did. of course their voices and flows werent exactly like Mobb, and I am not saying Kiam and Victor wouldnt be rappers, but there wouldnt be a CNN as we know it. if you ask NORE right now, he has no problem agreeing that there would be no CNN if there was no Mobb. Nore said his biggest influence was Biz Markie and Pone was on that ladies man vibe before he got up with M.O.B.B. Due to the success of Bad Boy, those commercial joints almost washed out the grimy NY thug sound, CNN helped to bring it back and that ended up being the style to last up until current day while that other shyt played out.​

yea I see what youre getting at.
good stuff.

juvenile hell was like '94 tho.​