• Total voters

MurderToCassette

Sa Da Tay
Daps
Reppin
I am comfortable and I love you
Can't drop NWA, too much dope material and cultural significance/impact
Can't drop the Wu for the same reasons.

Gang Starr has 4 classics, plus the two Jeru albums and Group Home LP as Gang Starr foundation albums. That's 7 records off the bat, plus all the classic individual tracks Premier did for everybody from Lady Of Rage & Comptons Most Wanted to Jay, Nas, and Big. Removing him changes the sound of hip hop, period.

Mobb has one of the best producers and rappers ever, but comparatively speaking, they only have 2-3 classics, and Havoc doesn't have as much outside production on his resume. Prodigy did give us a classic solo and one or two other great ones, but again, comparatively speaking, they fall short. So if you remove them from history, you lose 5-6 great records as opposed to 7-8 or more and a ton of other production work/cultural impact/influence.

Sorry Mobb :francis:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I consume music as bodies of work, not on song by song basis :yeshrug:

yep those tracks are classic but they weren’t necessarily career making for those artists. Those artists would still make classic music regardless of those tracks.

Without Dre there is no Death Row, Without Wu-Tang there is no classic 7 album streak, and Havoc created the QB sound with the first two Mobb albums.

Note how you also didn’t state any Gangstarr tracks or albums? Just shows most of Premos most renowned work is outside his group. I’m gonna hold my hands up and say although I love individual Gangstarr tracks (Mass Appeal and DWYCK, etc) - I’ve never listened to a whole project front to back. Guru is too monotonous as an MC and Premo’s production hasn’t been enough for me to look past that.

just my opinion though.

:dwillhuh:

I didn't mention Gangstarr because Gangstarr is in the choices. So obviously if I'm talking about what you'd lose by losing Primo....then Gangstarr is what people chose to get rid of.

Fred.

Jards

All Star
Daps
:dwillhuh:

I didn't mention Gangstarr because Gangstarr is in the choices. So obviously if I'm talking about what you'd lose by losing Primo....then Gangstarr is what people chose to get rid of.

Fred.
However way it’s diced I’m still choosing Gangstarr :yeshrug:

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Might have to go with the Mobb on this one. And that shyt hurts.

Or the Wu.

Premo's beats ain't going nowhere.

Today was a good day alone keeps NWA.

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Picked Gangstarr but didn’t really grasp the full premise of the thread

if there’s no gangstarr, would that mean no Illmatic and RD? Primo laced those projects with grade A beats and no way in hell illmatic would be illmatic without NY State of Mind

That's why Gangstarr stays. Premo got too many classic tracks to lose.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

i seem to be misunderstood. im not arguing about any of that stuff(altho I could care less about cubeVision and some overpriced headphones).

I was shutting down the idea that the mobb deeps, wutangs, etc wouldn't exist without NWA. that was some str8 bullchit. thats what i was arguing about.

you see what im saying now??

yea I see what youre getting at.
good stuff.

juvenile hell was like '94 tho.​

~Styles~

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Meth and ODBs first albums were good but definitely not classics

Wu Tang forever is borderline...the rest I can rock with

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Had to vote Mobb Deep, 2 incredible albums, but their lineage in terms of other shyt wouldn't have been as vast/quality compared to the others.